Chapter: 1

Walking down the crowded, bustling streets of the boiling city, I felt the fermiere vibration of my watch on my wrist.

I ducked into a nearby bar and discreetly slid into a bathroom stall. I slowly pulled down my oxygen mask, so it hung around my neck. I didn’t need it indoors. I tapped the screen of my watch and a firm voice spoke in my earbud.
“ Ada, we need you for a mission, report to headquarters immediately.”
“ Yes, sir.”
I double tapped the watch screen so it went dark and quickly scurred out of the bar, careful not to be seen.

I yanked up the hood of my jacket and secured the mask back around my face. I then started walking faster, pushing the hordes of people out of my way. I couldn’t afford to be late.

As I was just approaching my destination, I faintly heard muffled screams coming from the other direction. I peered over my shoulder to see one of the big buildings behind me engulfed in flames.

I jolted around on my toes and sprinted towards the building. The firemen were slowly arriving in their big fire trucks but they could probably use all the help they could get.

I frantically rushed through the burning entrance before it crumbled to the ground behind me. Sweat waterfalled down my face, and I thought just the normal city air was as hot as it got. The smoke stung my eyes, everything was blurry and my eyes filled with water. I swiftly wiped my eyes on my sleeve and squinted, searching for anybody trapped in the flames.

Most of them had run out when the fire started, but out of the corner of my eye I spotted movement.

“ Help.”

I heard someone weakly whisper. I stumbled towards the voice and spotted a man whose leg was stuck under a flaming pillar.

As I got closer the roof started collapsing and separated us. I had to get out of there or the roof would crush me.

It’s just one guy, I thought. I’ve seen people killed many times. What’s one more guy?
I started turning to leave when I spotted his face. It was Will, my best friend since second grade.

At first I couldn’t tell if it was him at first because his face was covered in ashes but now I was certain it was him. Fear shot through my veins, I couldn’t let him die, he was all I had left.

Without thinking I sprinted back towards him, hurtling over the burning pile. I just barely made it over and tumbled to the floor, beside him. I kneeled over him.

“ You’re going to be ok, Will. Just hold on a little longer.”

There was no easy way of getting the piller off him, I didn’t have gloves, a fire extinguisher, water or any sort of lever. But desperate times call for desperate measures and all I had was bare hands. I pried my fingers under the burning pillar and used all my strength to lift it. The soldering embers burned into my flesh and I shrieked in pain, but didn't drop it.

All that mattered was saving Will. Blood trickled down my fingers and I moved the pillar off him and then dropped it.

He was gasping for breath, almost all the oxygen was gone and he didn’t have a mask. I held my breath and secured my mask over Will’s face. He inhaled the oxygen and started coughing, getting the air into his lungs. He was alive.