Chapter 2:

Well picking him up I accidentally touched his leg and he grunted in agony.

I couldn’t jump over the flames, well holding him, so I ran towards it and quickly turned my back to them and jumped through the flames. My back landed hard on the stone floor and Will rolled out of my arms. Upon hitting the floor I screamed the loudest I ever had in my life.

The firemen must have heard me because seconds later two of them came rushing in, picked us up from under the arms and dragged us out of the building before the roof could cave in on us.

They placed an oxygen mask on me and I gasped, sitting up in a second. Where’s Will I thought, I turned my head to the side and spotted them loading him into an ambulance. I jumped to my feet and stepped forward to run to him, when a firefighter caught my arm.
“ He’ll be okay.”
He assured me.
“ But for now I think it’s best for you to get to the hospital too. You got pretty badly burned in that fire.” I shook my head, a little scared and overwhelmed with everything that was happening. I was nearly in tears and sprinted as far away from there as I could before they could notice.

As I was approaching my apartment, my watch buzzed and a message came up. “ Ada, we heard what happened on the news, please take some time to rest. We are currently working on the first part of the mission and don’t need your assistance till next week.” I double tapped my watch, then stumbled into the bathroom.

I inspected my back and aside from a few bruins and bruises, I was okay. It was Will I was worried about. I hadn’t seen him in two years and of course when we finally reunite it’s in life and death circumstances.

I looked down at my bloody hands and put them under the tap. Nearly getting sick as I watched the dark red swirl down the sink.

I then wrapped my hands with bandages before going to the living and flopping down on the rock hard couch.

I turned on the TV and the news immediately came up.

“ More fires reported in the city due to global warming, we are expecting yet another heat wave reaching hundreds of degrees. So for your safety we advise you to stay indoors with your air conditioning on.”

I reached for the TV remote to turn it off when the reporter caught my attention.

“ In other news the esteemed scientist, Doctor Patal is currently finding a solution for climate change and is near finishing his invention to grow more trees.”

This was amazing news, if someone solved this problem it could change everything. We wouldn’t have to wear oxygen masks everywhere due to the lack of oxygen or constantly worry about fires due to the heat. This could change our lives. Our city could be how it used to be, before it was the boiling city. Without pollution, smoke or big factories everywhere.