Lunch Break

The only thing I could think about was home. With everything I just wanted to relax. I walked in line and got some mashed potatoes, green beans, and chicken bites. With a side of salad.

I punch my number in the keypad and soon walked to the middle of the cafeteria. I looked around and see Rye waving at me to sit with her. I sit down across from her and start eating.

We didn't talk about much but she did bring up some stuff she heard about. About The Grabber.

Some say he murdered his victims real slow. Even tricked them into thinking that they were going to escape but then blugger them to death. Stole there personal things and kept them. Like a trophy.

I couldn't help but be grossed out by these rumors she heard about. As I dosed off I find myself looking out the window of the cafeteria. The small field outside with a couple of trees that leaves fell from.

That's when I see him. He peeked out from behind the tree and gave me a sinister smile. I couldn't move. I felt like I was frozen, except I wasn't cold. I was sweating. My eyes widen as he waves. He holds the same black balloons as he did before.

"Emma!?" Rye yells while waving her hand in my face. A single tear goes down my face. "You alright?" She asks sincerely. I nod yeah. "Lair." She whispers.

I sigh as I give in. I look back and see the man disappeared like before. "Just been seeing things." I reveal.

"Like what?" She asks as she downs her milk.

"This man. Dressed in all black. Red scarf around his neck. A mask covering half of his face. A black top hat and black balloons." I explain. I blink as I think about everything. "He's been popping up everywhere." I say.

"You sure you don't got a stalker?" She asks.

"No, it looks like him." I whisper.

"Who?" She questions. I look around so no one hears.

"The Grabber." I whisper while biting my lip.

"He's dead?" She replies.

"I know. But, I keep seeing him?" I say.

"Look, you probably seeing things. When's the last time you slept?" She ask. I roll my eyes.

"I am sleeping fine." I say sternly.

"You sure? Cause, after your brother." Rye says before cut her off.

"I'm fine!" I yell. The palm of my hands slammed on the table, causing it to shake. Rye looks at me with wide eyes. "My brothers alive and I'm not crazy!" I yell before leaving the cafeteria. People staring as I do.

~

I find the closest bathroom and hide in the biggest stall. Before crying I look to see if anyone is inside of the stalls. To my luck there wasn't. I pulled my sleeves up and wiped my tears. They just kepts flowing and soaking up my sleeves.

Hearing the news about my brother was heartbreaking. I mean, he was my brother. I can always hear his voice. I even sometimes forgot he's gone and go to his room, or even call out for him. My family does too. It will never be the same.

As for Rye. She just don't understand. She's hasn't lost a brother. She just assumes that everything will be okay in the end. When in reality, it never will be.

The bells rings. I get up and wiped the leftover tears I had and adjusted my clothes. Before I left I fixed my shit in the bathroom mirror. My red eyes that were once filled with water. Now dry and red. Filled with guilt and numbness.

I look myself up and down before leaving. I looked through my bag as I walked to my last class of the day. The class with Finn.

I bumped into some guy. I looked up and it was him. My bully. It used to be Vance that would bully me and even my younger brother Billy.

"Watch it!" Jake yells. He was the school's jock but also the school's bully. Ever since Vance sadly passed, Jake assurted domance over the school and made it his own playground.

I rolled my eyes as I try to pass.

"Where you think your going." He asks. He blocks the way with his arm. Pattern and colors of the school on his sleeves. He wore a football jacket and had spiky brown hair.

"I'm not in the mood." I reply while staring straight ahead, avoiding any eye contact.

"I can get you in the mood." He whispers in my ear. I close my eyes as I look down to the floor in disgust.

"Jake! Get to class." A teacher yells.

"We're not done yet." He says before walking off with his jock friends, more like jerk friends.

I let out a sigh of relief before walking into class. I see Finn already sitting in out shared desk in the back of the class. His head deep into a space book. Of course.

I put out a smile as I sit down. Finn sending one back.

"You alright?" He asks. Why is everyone asking that?

"Just Jake. I'm fine." I say before turning my attention to the front of the class.

~
The lights were off and we watched a documentary about some guy named Bill Nye.

"Rye told me about the outburst you had in the cafeteria. Everyones talking about it." He whispers as the teacher teaches.

"What she say?" I ask.

"About Billy. And that you've been seeing someone?" He says as he looks at me with worry. "Billy I get. But, this man? What does he look like?" He whispers.

I gulp before answering. I knew this was a bad idea but, I had to tell him. "Blank top hat, red scarf, mask, and blank balloons." I whisper. I stare at my desk. Tuning out the noise and avoiding eye contact with Finn.

Finn held his hand together on the desk. His knuckles were white.

"Finn I was going to tell you. But, it just happened recently. I don't know why I am seeing him. He's dead, right?" I say as I blink away a few tears that fell from my eyes.

Finn just looks around in confusion and his whole body tensed up.

"Finn?" I whisper to get his attention.

"He's dead. I killed him." He replys. I nod.

"I'm probably just seeing things. Rye said I should get some sleep." I say as I fiddle with my fingers.

"Yeah." He mutters as his attention is drawn to the Bill Nye documentary.