FIVE. figuring out my feelings for you

     ALEENA YORK hated most things

ALEENA YORK hated most things. She didn't like the color blue and hated the way she cooked pasta. She didn't like how bone-straight her hair could get after a blowout and she hated the feelings that she had about Maya Hart.

She hated the way she laughed at nothing, she hated the way her hair laid over her shoulders, she hated how blue her eyes were, and she hated that she might not like her for who she was. She hated that. She wanted nothing more than to go back to square one and hate Maya Hart for the fact that she had somehow, someway made her history class about herself and her friends.

But she and Maya had been talking a lot. It didn't matter how they had been communicating for quite some time. For hours the two of them would just talk. They would talk about different forms of art, the clothes they liked, and the shows that they hated the most. Of course, they didn't agree on some things, but they had more in common than they could agree on.

And Aleena hated that. She didn't want to feel like she was in middle school again. She didn't want to put herself through that, not again.

So, she kept her distance from Maya in public. It sounded bad and Aleena knew that, especially since she couldn't find a way to hate the girl... other than the fact that she didn't want to go back to feeling like she was in middle school again.

"Probably the saddest book that I read and I heard that they were making a movie about it," Charlie said and flipped over onto his stomach to see Aleena with her back pressed against her bedroom door and her eyes locked on her phone. "Leens? You listening?"

"Sorry... What did you say?"

Charlie sighed and grabbed a pillow from her bed and chucked it her way. He threw it with such a heavy force that when the pillow hit her, her head hit the back of the door.

"What's your problem?" Aleena asked.

"You're my problem." Charlie sighed and shifted to sit upright. "What's up with you, Aleena?"

"Nothing." She answered. "I'm just distracted."

"Wanna talk about it... Talk about her?"

Aleena sighed and rose to her feet. She knew that out of everyone in the world, Charlie would be the one to figure things out first. That was her best friend. The Riley to her Maya. Someone who could spot her in the room without trying. He meant everything to Aleena and Aleena meant everything to him. But she didn't want to talk about anything, not right now anyway.