Dwelling in Epoch

Final Angst Day

Prompt: Dwelling

Category: Angst

Submission: Fanfiction

Special Note: Is related to Out of Reach

-

Zoé Lee was many things, a sister, a friend, a model, an actress, a protector of ancient magic, a company heir, and despite how many people all those titles surrounded her in...she was alone. Her island was simply a harbor, a collection of every person who came by, shops of knowledge, storage of what they'd offered her during their stay, and leftovers washing on her shores.

The most consistent vessel to dock was that of Timothy Jackson Drake.

He had been the only one for years that Zoé didn't put a mask on, and Tim never had a mask with her. At least she thought so. He became a little distant, he'd go days without so much as a quick text, he avoided what had been his favorite topic, he didn't tell her when his parents died or when Bruce Wayne took him in, he'd go missing for weeks and she'd only get a quiet apology.

He used to tell her every little detail, show her every photo he took, and suddenly he stopped.

Zoé was able to see when he slid from one mask to the other, and now she could feel it every time as he moved around the room from guest to guest. This was how it's been for months now, galas walking around feeling the changes in others but none were so noticeable as her old friend. Right now she could sense him across the room, he'd had the same mask on for the past twenty minutes talking to a group of people.

Zoé spun her drink around as she stood, hiding at the food table. She used to be too scared, thinking she'd be suffocated by the eyes judging her. Now she knew it was where those who do the judging survey the herd.

Her eyes flittered in the area as she felt him change again, it was a strange feeling. Humans were ever-changing creatures, but the sheer amount they did amazed Zoé. To think both Hawkmoths had underutilized the Butterfly so ignominiously was simply...shameful.

Zoé looked down at her glass before downing the last of it. She sighed as she felt the mask slip and twist from afar. She smiled softly to herself like she was amused by a joke, a joke only she knew at that.

The perfect champion, truly.

The young woman felt every fluctuation and knew exactly where he was with each millimeter. It was almost comforting in a sense, there were hundreds of people in this room and yet they were all a light breeze to his large shadow to the blazing heat.

She glanced in his current direction with pursed lips, consideration. She hadn't actually seen him all night, not even a glimpse, and her feet felt heavy. Whether because she hadn't gone to him or because she wanted to Zoé couldn't tell, but she straightened her posture and took confident strides to the Wayne.

She saw his dark head of hair and her smile grew, she ignored the raised eyebrows from the two he was speaking to, and she ignored the people who watched her make her way across the floor.

She tapped his shoulder with a wide smile making Tim turn around, "Hi."

"Hi," he blinked looking her over. Zoé was almost inclined to flick him between the eyes but decided against it.

"I'm not interrupting anything important I hope," she said politely but her demeanor teasing to the young man.

Tim's eyes shot up, his masks shifted, twisted, melted, and scattered. Zoé raised her eyebrows and smirked, she loved it when she felt more than a simple slide, it wasn't a true transformation without a journey. His cheeks dusted pink and it made her smirk softer.

He never did change that much, did he?

"No, no, no," Tim turned to the two behind him, "No," he faced Zoé again, "You're not interrupting anything."

Zoé couldn't stop the light laughter that erupted from her lips making Tim redden and his masks shrivel around.

"We'll leave you," one of the men said with a smile.

"Oh, okay, we will continue another time, yeah?" Tim asked as the two walked away.

"Sure thing Mr. Wayne," the other said before they disappeared. The comment made Tim sigh through his nose.

"Are they wrong though," Zoé leaned closer with raised eyebrows. Tim just rolled his eyes with a huffed, "I'm not as bothered as before, just my name."

Zoé frowned lightly, "Your name is everything, Tim. Don't let them pick and choose which parts matter."

Tim looked at her, his hair barely touching his eyelashes, Zoé held back the urge to move his hair from his face. His eyes watched her very closely, "France, right?"

"You know it," Zoé laughed glancing away. She was very similar to the type Tim dealt with regularly.

"You don't even use your mother's name," Tim frowned in disgust on her behalf.

"Yet everyone else does," she joked. Every article, every interview, every post, it got more than annoying. The only people who got it right were some news stations, her friends, and colleagues. Zoé gave a strained smile, "My mom always had the spotlight."

"I think you look better in it," Tim admitted quietly, he gave an awkward smile that made his eyes squint.

The look made Zoé freeze, her mouth dry and suddenly became more aware of her hands. The phantom feeling of a hilt appeared and her hand tightened on it, her arm felt tight like when she prepared the strike. The smell of blood wafted through her nose at the memory. The uncontrollable fear that had wrapped its way around her.

"Zoé?" Tim's face became concerned and smooth.

The cut her mind had placed was gone but not forgotten.

Zoé rubbed her throat absentmindedly, "I'm fine, just...memories."

Tim watched her with deeper concern, "You sure?"

I'd like to hope so, she thought, but she said, "Yes Tim. I'm fine."

"Zoé why don't we step out for a moment," Tim started but Zoé just smiled and shook her head.

"It's all good I promise."

"I don't-"

"Oh, Timothy!" A woman exclaimed.

"I'll leave you to your connections," Zoé said ignoring the hollow pit that formed. Ignoring Tim trying to speak to her as she slipped into the crowd. Ignoring the eyes as she got closer to the doors. Ignoring the burning in her eyes and the pinch on her palms.

For all the masks they had in their hands, it was the physical ones that would get in the way every time. Every time she was dragged to hold the line as Bunnix fixed one small thing, she held the line till the person changed their mind, and she held the line till Tim changed his mind once.

That once had been the worst time she'd fought him, cause he recognized her that time. Zoé knew it was her who caused it that time.

The archipelago she resided in couldn't allow him to be a permanent ship, she couldn't let him dock.