Hunt!

Sssss....

I roll over in my sleep.

Sssss...SSSSSSS....

"Ugh." I groan.

"Get up, ." I hear Gold exclaim through layers of sand, "It's a snake!"

I shoot up with a great flap of my wings, bursting out of the small sand dune I'd made for myself. All around me, sleepy Blind Quads are doing the same. 

My scales ripple as I lick my lips in delight, directing my wolf-like ears towards where the snake is struggling with my fellow Blind Quads. My clan, and my clan only, had the best eyesight that a Blind Quad could have, even though we still relied on our other senses more.

My eight eyes studied the snake eagerly as I soared towards it. 

To my disappointment, it was a rattle snake, meaning that much of it's tail would be cut off to make into Rattles - a type of instrument. With a fierce hiss, the rattlesnake threw off a few of the Blind Quads - for we were only about the size of it's head.

 Letting out a fierce battle cry, I charge at the serpent with my teeth bared. 

There's a rush of wings behind me and then claws snap my wings together, causing me to fall. I spread my wings once again, to catch myself, and turn around to confront my aggressor with my tail raised, only to find that it was Gold. 

Gold turns her scales blue, green and then pure gold as she scolds me, "Aqua! You're not even a year old, yet!"

I lash my venomous tail furiously, "I will be!"

She rolls her eyes, "In half a year, sure." Then she glares at me, "For now, like all other six month olds, you will stay in the dunes when a Hunt is going on."

With that, she dove towards the rattlesnake, latching herself onto it's head. I watch in admiration as her claws sink into it's eyes and the snake finally drops dead. I want to help my Tribe - The Eyes - but I can't if I'm not allowed to hunt. My tail droops as I fly back to the dunes where a dozen other Hatchlings are viewing the Hunt.