We Blind Quads...

"We Blind Quads are the deadliest animals that live in the Great Desert of Utopia." Hurricane exaggerates that with a thump of her tail, "There are six Tribes of Blind Quads. The Eyes - which is us - , The Claws, The Wings, The Tail, The Ears, and The Fangs."

I jot down everything determinedly on the sand and put my claw up, "Respected Teacher Hurricane, may I please explain the specialities of all the Tribes?"

There is a wave of sniggering and mutters of 'Teacher's Pet' throughout the messy group of Senior Hatchlings. Hurricane silences it with a twitch of her wings, "Now, now. You should be congratulating Aqua for being so thoughtful." To me, she says, "Go on."

I puff out my chest and recite, "The Claws are a violent tribe that have better combat abilities and focus more on fighting. The Wings can stay in the hot air of the Utopian Deserts longer than usual Blind Quads. The Tails' communication relies mostly on a series of thumping tails and the venom in their tails is also stronger. The Ears have the best hearing ability in all of Utopia! The Fangs have poisonous fangs and are allied with The Claws." I tilt my head towards Hurricane, "They are a danger to us at the moment."

Hurricane snaps angrily, "Everything is under control. What went on at the meeting is not your business."

I smile innocently, "I wasn't trying to make it my business. However, it's funny that you should jump to that conclusion so quickly." I go on, "I was merely stating that the Fangs are, was and will be a danger to us. Which is completely true."

Hurricane starts, "I-" Then changes her mind, "Class, you are dismissed."

In a messy flapping of wings, the Senior Hatchlings depart. I spread my wings regally and lift myself up into the air gracefully. 

That is until someone bundles into me. 

With a flurry of my wings in a attempt to right myself, I tilt and crash through the crowd of chatting Hatchlings, down the sand dunes and right into the middle of the Hunting Ground. 

Like all Blind Quads, the Hatchlings all stay at the top sand dunes and try not to make much noise while blending their scales yellow to match the sand. The adult Hunters lie in wait inside the sand dunes, waiting for the prey to arrive. 

The small dunes are formed in two straight lines with a gap in the middle, like a pathway. The path led to a nice oasis in which experienced Hunters wait for their cue to attack the drinking prey. 

I should probably mention that we hunt all day long. Unfortunately, I am in the centre of the pathway. The Younger Hatchling who caused me to crash scrambles off me with a terrified squeak. I dizzily get on my claws and turn to glare at Sandy but her eyes are wide and she points at something in front of us. I turn around and freeze.