Chapter 07

Stefan, with a calculated delay, emerged from the train, allowing his fellow passengers to disembark ahead of him. Casting a keen glance at his wrist-watch upon stepping onto the platform, he remarked, "Hmm – twelve minutes past midnight..." He continued his stride, almost missing the waiting hall.
A quick double-take confirmed what he thought he'd glimpsed.
"More than five hours remaining until the train's arrival, and only three seats left...?" Stefan pondered aloud.
One of the seats stood directly in front of Stefan, separated only by the transparent glass barrier that he was currently peering through. The remaining two seats occupied a position to the northeast of this one. Stefan meticulously assessed all three options before finally selecting the one aligned with his current stance. He had initially favored the seats in the alternative positions as they provided a clear view of the entrance, backed by an impenetrable wall. This strategic positioning ensured no surprise attacks and prevented onlookers from observing without being equally conspicuous. This tactical advantage was what Stefan had initially intended to secure - his focus being on enhancing security.
However, as fate would have it, he couldn't bring himself to occupy the seats that were otherwise favorable. His reluctance did not stem from the physical bulk of the two middle-aged women who were seated on either side of the unclaimed chairs, though it was undeniable that they occupied a substantial amount of space. Stefan's decision was instead influenced solely by his personal aversion to their countenances. In the end, his choice hinged on an intuitive disapproval of their looks, and that was it.
Stefan lightly tapped on the glass to catch the attention of the young boy seated beside the desired chair. The boy promptly turned towards Stefan, who reciprocated with a warm smile and a beckoning wave, inviting the lad to join him outside. The boy acknowledged the invitation with a nod and a friendly smile.
"Hello there, young man. What's your name?" Stefan inquired. "Uh, I'm Asta." the boy replied.
"Great, Asta," Stefan continued. "I need a small favor. I have some errands to run in town. Would you be willing to look after the seat next to yours for a short while in my absence? I don't want to stand and wait for the train when I get back."
Asta hesitated momentarily, contemplating the proposal. Then, with a cautious tone, he responded, "Oh of course, I will do that." He paused for a while and then continued. "Well, I mean, I could do that, but it depends on what you're offering."
Stefan's eyes widened in surprise, and his lips parted in disbelief. The boy appeared much too young to him, not more than thirteen, exuding an aura of innocence that suggested he had yet to be exposed to the harsh realities of the world, but his words were contrary to that.
Stefan's reaction was exuberant, his laughter echoing through the station.
Asta couldn't quite comprehend why his simple remark had provoked such mirth, and he wore a perplexed half-smile in response with squinted eyes.
"Don't mind me," Stefan finally managed to say amidst his laughter. "You just caught me off guard, Asta."

Asta maintained his measured demeanor, pressing for an answer to the crucial question, "So, are you going to pay, or not?"
Stefan was still slightly taken aback by the young boy's businesslike tone and quickly shifted the focus, playfully saying, "You almost sound too intimidating for a thirteen-year-old."
Asta chuckled, "Thirteen? Me? I'm sixteen," he clarified. "Oh no you certainly are not," Stefan expressed doubt.
Stefan's skepticism prompted Asta to respond with indifference, "Believe it or not, it's up to you. I'm more interested in the payment."
Stefan agreed, "I was thinking of discussing that when I return. I'm running short on time. But I'll give you half now, and if my seat remains secure when I'm back, I'll hand over the other half. Here you go."
Stefan reached into his pocket and withdrew a coin.
Asta's sudden astonishment mirrored the gaping maw of a crocodile patiently awaiting its prey. Stefan couldn't help but relish the surprise etched across the young boy's face.
It was a stark illustration of one of the benefits that came with being a state alchemist. This privileged group received their earnings in a currency unlike the nation's regular money, a currency that held an intrinsic superiority. Remarkably, these coins bore no denominations, granting state alchemists the ability to acquire any item without regard for its price tag. However, there was a stringent rule to this unique currency – one coin for one item, no matter the item's value. This stipulation, while advantageous in many respects, also came with a drawback; even the most trivial purchase necessitated relinquishing a coin. Consequently, the true measure of wealth for state alchemists wasn't about the accumulated sum but the quantity of these extraordinary coins.
Stefan delicately placed the coin into Asta's palm, and the young boy's arm nearly gave way under an unexpected burden, not from the coin's physical weight but from the potential acquisition it represented. Asta's eyes gleamed as if they held a reflection of the sun itself.
"I'll give you the other half and the necessary paperwork when I return," Stefan informed him. "You do understand that I have to provide you with the proper paperwork first, right?"
The usage of the state alchemist's currency required the requisite paperwork to avoid misuse and theft, a safeguard to deter potential criminals. It wasn't simply a matter of obtaining the money; one would also need the corresponding paperwork and the signature to validate its use. The layered security measures were a formidable deterrent.
"Very well, Mr. State Alchemist. I'll ensure your seat remains secure," Asta assured him with confidence. Stefan acknowledged with a nod and a warm smile before turning to depart.