Chapter 10

lay motionless in my bed, despite having awakened some time ago. A dream lingered in my mind, elusive and fragmentary. I lingered in bed, attempting to piece together the missing fragments, hoping for a clearer image. Regrettably, the details remained elusive, and I couldn't reconstruct the dream's scene or even conjure a coherent picture.
Eventually, I sighed and compelled myself to sit up, then stand. Resisting the urge to seek assistance from my shillelagh, I made my way to the window. My intention was to catch a glimpse of the road leading to the train station, a routine I planned to adopt within the next few days or, at the latest, a week. Although a few days had passed since I conceived the idea, I hesitated to execute it, feeling that the timing wasn't quite right.
A soft knock interrupted my contemplation, and Mira entered, holding two jugs. She handed one to me, and I expressed my gratitude before stealing another glance at the road. I then returned to the bed, blowing on the tea in my jug before attempting a sip.
"This tea seems to have an increasingly bitter taste," I remarked.
Mira chuckled, "It's simply a matter of getting used to it. Eventually, you'll come to enjoy it." I squinted skeptically, "I have my doubts."
"What are the dark specks at the bottom called? Aunt Liz has never served bay leaf tea with these mysterious additions before. Are you attempting to murder me?" I queried, widening my eyes and tilting my head back for added effect.
She smiled and explained, "The black specks are cloves. Combining them with bay leaf makes the tea more effective than the latter alone."
"Today happens to be your fortunate day," Mira declared, then resumed sipping her tea, as though that were the extent of her revelation.
"My fortunate day?" I probed.
She nodded.
"Well...?" I prompted.
"How much time has passed since your last visit to the main city?" she inquired.
It had been a considerable span of time since I recalled accompanying my father, along with Azra, to Pope Aldous' school where he served. The memory somewhat traced back to my early eighth year.
"Are we heading to the main city?" I inquired. "Yes, we are." Mira delivered the news.
I couldn't contain my excitement, almost spilling the tea as I pushed myself up. "I'll get to see father's former workplace after this long while."

"That's correct. We're visiting Mr. Koebel to address the matters concerning your injury," Mira explained.
I nodded, recognizing the opportunity. "This is a favorable moment," I thought. Following this visit, I would have a legitimate reason to discreetly venture out. It wasn't that I doubted Mr. Koebel's proficiency in alchemy; rather, I had an inkling that he might not fully comprehend the nature of my condition. What resided on my back felt distinctly unique, and I harbored a belief that only my father, if he were still alive, could truly understand it. Nonetheless, I hoped Mr. Koebel might possess the knowledge required so there would be no need for me to sneak out.
After some time, Mira left my room, leaving me with the need to prepare. This better work, or else, I'm doing it my way - I muttered to myself.
Once I finished getting ready, I descended the stairs. Aunt Liz and Mira had already completed their preparations and were seemingly waiting for my arrival.
"So, you finally grace us with your presence?" Mira remarked as I arrived. "Oh, you've been waiting for me? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take up time." "Relax, I'm kidding," she laughed. "I just got down here myself."
A chuckle escaped my lips as I shook my head in disbelief.
I harbored a profound affection for the main city, despite having visited only once with my father. Though that visit didn't afford me the opportunity to thoroughly explore the streets to my satisfaction. In truth, I hadn't had the chance to explore at all. Pope Aldous' school, where my father worked, was conveniently located just a few minutes from the train station where we disembarked. Even the brief walk to the school was enough to captivate me and kindle my love for the city.
The city, specifically the 'A' division, exuded a distinctive character that set it apart from the rest of Ωdegaard. While I hadn't traversed every corner of the country, there was an unmistakable sense that this city differed significantly from anywhere else. The main city was divided into two parts: A and B. The 'B' division resembled other towns in Ωdegaard, not lacking in cleanliness or charm, but lacking the unique allure of the 'A' division.
The 'A' division boasted tall, unique buildings that housed esteemed figures such as the Holy Father, the Cardinal, bishops, high-ranking state officers, professors, and other influential individuals, including a few who owned important industries in the city. Unlike typical pavement blocks found in other cities across the country, the city's floors were distinct—smooth and dark. These tarred surfaces facilitated the ease of transportation for the Holy Father and others, particularly in their automobiles—an exclusive rarity reserved for the city's elite, namely the Holy Father and the Cardinal.
Furthermore, the atmosphere in the main city held a unique fragrance, an amalgamation of fresh rose flowers and heated honeyed milk. It was a scent unlike anything I had ever experienced, contributing to the city's exceptional ambiance.