Chapter Fifteen

Fulbright eyes vacantly stared at Shiou's empty bed which had been neatly made. His mind wandered back in time to his encounter with the candle. While he was certain that the vision he saw was part of the missing piece to his dream, none of it made any sense to him. His eyes fell upon the prismed candle, lifeless yet mysteriously alive. Fulbright wondered if even Malay knew what this candle could truly do. She had assured him it would show him what his heart longed for, which he assumed to be his home. It occurred to him, that maybe even his heart had been keeping secrets from him and what it longed for was an unveiling of who he was to be. Either way, Fulbright found himself bitterly disappointed.

It was barely dawn, Fulbright noticed. The sky was still a dusty bluish grey, yet he could hear the sound of rickety, wooden carts and noisy traffic outside of his bedroom window. Business was carrying on as if the sun were high above the eastern horizon. Fulbright stretched before throwing his blanket to the side exposing him to the morning chill. Fulbright shivered under his lighter garments and regretted getting out of bed. As he began to reach for his boots, a knock at the door startled him.

"Come in," Fulbight grunted as he dragged his shoes in front of him.

It was Rahnka.

"Good morning, Fai-sahl," she said naturally as she placed a small tray of nuts and fruits along with a pitcher of yak's milk on the nightstand next to his bed. "Papa and the others left earlier this morning to sell their goods before the market opens. He said you and I could go exploring as long as we are back before lunch. We will be setting our course for Xia this afternoon."

"Do you think I will have time today to send a letter back home?"

"I thought you did not wish to be found," Rahnka frowned.

"This is for my friend, Alden. I feel guilty for not leaving him a note, but I knew they would ask him first and I did not want to risk having him lying for me."

"I see. Have you written it yet?"

"No, I only got the khamelia from your father last night."

"You are better off writing it when we are back on board and sending it before we get to Xia."

"Fair enough," Fulbright replied as he popped a few nuts in his mouth.

"Where would you like to go today?" Rahnka asked excitedly.

"Hmm. I will let you decide."

"Very well," Rahnka replied, clasping her hands together. "I would like to go see Roti before anything else."

"Who's Roti?" Fulbright asked before guzzling down a cup of milk.

"A Jarran blacksmith. One of the best!" Rahnka exclaimed..

"You think he could fit me with a new sword?" Fulbright asked.

"You call that fancy butter knife a sword?" Rahnka retorted with a grin.

Fulbright returned her volley of words with his pillow.

"Hey!" Rahnka laughed. "I brought you breakfast and this is how you treat me?"

"This is not breakfast," Fulbright chuckled. "This is bird feed!"

Rahnka stared down at the platter of half eaten nuts and fruit and then back at Fulbright before barreling over with laughter. "I will be outside waiting," she said with a bow before backing out of the room and shutting the door.

Fulbright popped a few more nuts into his mouth. The corners of his mouth pierced the sides of his cheeks, revealing playful dimples. Four days ago, Rahnka barely gave him a second glance and now she seemed rather enthusiastic to have him in her company. As he began to gather his belongings into his rucksack, his eyes fell upon the Alodian candle still sitting on the table next to the window. Immediately his thoughts began to roam toward Malay again and for reasons he could not explain, he wondered if she was thinking of him. He knew it was a selfish hope he had. He had left Ackerely, his family, his friends, his whole life, and the last thing he was hoping for was their pursuit of him. Fulbright smacked his forehead, silently chastising himself for letting thoughts of Malay linger.