Chapter Sixteen

"You know, you almost had me believing you were a half-blooded Parshan, until you pulled that stunt," Nikal panted. 

He lifted his hand, insisting Fulbright help him to his feet. Fulbright paused before he lowered the bamboo and extended his hand to pull Nikal up. Nikal sprang to his feet, smoothing the creases in his clothes. "The Orendans are the only wood benders in Peor, but you are clearly not one of them. Tell me, how did the prince of Ackerely pick up the Parshan fighting technique so quickly?"

Fulbright's eyes widened. He turned to Rahnka looking for an explanation but she could not offer him one. "What makes you think that I am--"

Nikal rolled his eyes. "A ship of traders landed here yesterday, passing along the news that the king's son had gone missing somewhere out at sea. I assumed nothing until now."

Fulbright felt his face grow warm, regretting his decision to leave the ship. He wiped the sweat from his face, a defeated sigh escaping from his short breaths. Nikal seemed to read his thoughts.

"I am not going to turn you in. That would jeopardize Rahnka and her father."

"You promise you won't say anything, Nikal?" Rahnka pleaded.

Nikal extended his hand out to Fulbright. "I will shake on it. Just try to be a little more careful. We're not stupid out here."

A few customers straggled into the showroom with curiosity. Fulbright sternly grabbed Nikal's forearm and Nikal did the same as a sign of their covenant. Nikal took the katars from Rahnka and placed them in suede sheaths and then returned them to her. He walked over to a wall of racked staffs and gave Fulbright a beautifully carved staff. Fulbright bowed gratefully.

"The strongest wood comes from Orenda, not easily split by a blade; and if you unscrew the middle, the staff becomes two."

"I could have sworn you hated me ten minutes ago. Why are you giving this to me?"

"For starters you beat me. How do you think Rahnka got those katars?" Nikal chuckled. Then he leaned in and whispered to Fulbright, "You may have beaten me here, but I can assure you that a cowardly prince is no competition for me."

Nikal pulled away and casually turned his attention away from Fulbright's ear. Fulbright followed his gaze and finally understood what the whole demonstration had been about. Rahnka. It had not dawned on Fulbright that there were already suitors waiting for her to even consider them. He chuckled at the thought of Nikal perceiving him to be a threat. The two stared at Rahnka and waved awkwardly. With exasperation, Rahnka rolled her eyes as she came toward them.

"I have no idea what you two are plotting," scolded Rahnka. "But--"

"Just a rematch," Nikal said coolly. "In Ackerley."

"Come on Fai-sahl," Rahnka grunted as she tugged on Fulbright's arm. "I am sure you have worked up quite an appetite after this escapade."

Fulbright looked down at his stomach and laughed. "I never need an excuse to be hungry."

"I know of a place I used to go to after school that makes good curried soups."

"I am game for anything. As long as it doesn't have lymokai in it."

Fulbright and Rahnka parted from the shop, leaving Nikal to tend to his customers. Rahnka led Fulbright through the markets, down a tight alley, and into a slightly more spacious section of the city.  On the other end of the alley, sunlight poured onto a large, dusty courtyard with a medium-sized well in the center of it. Several buildings speckled with open windows and balconies hugged the perimeter of the courtyard. Only three buildings faced the courtyard with entrances and signs above them that Fulbright could not read.