001... cute as a button and twice as sweet !

CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER 1 ... part 1

(Reptilia — The Strokes)

WHEN Cynthia was younger, she already knew exactly what she wanted to be. Watching her mother joyously bustle about the kitchen, making what could only be described as ambrosia — Cynthia knew she'd become a chef one day.

So the young three year old set out to do just that. Sure the main course was a mesh of play dough and glitter and the 'fine cutlery' was just the way plastic plates from Cynthia's Barbie kitchen. But Mr. and Mrs. Sawyer wouldn't dare tell their little girl that the 'food' was all but inedible, and reprimand Cayden when he would tell her it 'looked and smelt like crap'.

From then on, Cynthia became her mom's little shadow. Follow the woman around the kitchen despite how often she was told 'not to touch' this and 'get away' from that. But as the years waned on, and the Sawyer siblings grew, Cynthia perfected her craft.

Even after their parents passed, when Cayden was forced to become Cynthia and Jessie's legal guardian, Cynthia still cooked. She learned to cook her mother's famous dishes, made her father's favorite deserts all in an effort to keep their memory alive.

Cayden was in the police academy, moving to get a stable job for the siblings to survive. During that time, Cynthia worked at the local highschool all while helping Jessie with homework (not that she needed it) and making meals.

"Forks?" Cynthia asked one sunny morning, adding the finishing touches to she and Cayden's eggs benedict, "I thought they wanted you in San Diego?"

"I guess the chief over there needed a new deputy and since Spence owed him, he decided to 'send his best cop'."

Cayden merely shrugged as if he hadn't dropped a huge bomb on Cynthia. She began pouring some coffee, inhaling the intoxicating smell as she took a long sip.

"They aren't rushing us Cindy." Cayden comforted his sister, eating the delicious breakfast in front of him. "Chief Swan said I could come down anytime so long as it's before school year ends."

She took a deep breath, closing her eyes as she counted down.

5; smell the coffee in the air.

4; feel the ceramic mug in your hand.

3; see the hummingbird looking through the window.

2; hear the radio playing soft jazz in the kitchen.

1; taste the air you now slowly breath in.

Relax.

"What should we tell Jess?"

"Tell me what?" Jessie Sawyer bolted into the kitchen, hot pink backpack covered in buttons swinging around as she grabbed the oatmeal and fruit that Cynthia made for him.

Cayden eyed Cynthia, knowing she'd have a better chance of not being berated by the 16 year old.

"Jess," the eldest Sawyer daughter cooed, tucking away the bangs that lay on her face. "Cayden got a job offer but it's a bit farther away than planned."

Jessie furrowed her brow, looking between her older siblings as they communicated through a single glance.

"Okay.." she trailed off, "how much further?"

"...Washington."

"What?!"

***

That had been month's ago, before Jessie finally got excited about the move, before Cayden joined the Forks police force. And most notably, before Cynthia became a new smiling face at Emily's.

Dressed in her favorite dress and her best Maryjane's, Cynthia Sawyer waltzed into Emily's with a smile on her face and resume in hand.

Every head turned when Cindy came along, perfume floating where she walked, brunette curls bouncing with every step.

"Hi!" Her bright voice chirped. "I heard you guys were hiring, is that still going on?"

"Yeah it is, I'm Emily." said the woman, Emily, behind the counter. She was beautiful, that much Cynthia could tell by her kind smile. "Is that your resume?"

She nodded down to the paper held between Cindy's multicolored nails. It was done with a sparkly pink gel pen, a cursive font that was damn near perfect.

"Yeah, here you go." As Emily read the resume, Cynthia looked around the cafe. It was fairly vintage despite clear refurbishments, a cozy and friendly ambience as conversation buzzed about the room.

"This all looks amazing," Emily smiled, "how soon do you think you could start?"

"Seriously?" Cynthia said in disbelief, "I I wouldn't hear back for at least a week."

"We don't really have a lot of people looking to get hired here, and plus you're exactly the type of person I've been looking to hire." Emily said, laughing a bit as if Cynthia's previous question was the silliest thing she'd ever heard.

"There isn't really any uniform aside from the name tag and apron," Emily said pointing towards the two items on her person. "I can train you either on Tuesday morning or Thursday night."

Cynthia nodded, choosing Tuesday morning — Cindy was always a morning bird.

"Awesome, I can't wait to see you again Cynthia."

"You too." Cynthia smiled, teeth glistening despite the fluorescent lights.

***

When Emily arrived home, smile on her face and a skip in her step, she heard the loud boisterous laughs in the cabin.

"What's got you all smiley?" Sam, Emily's abnormally large husband asked as she made her way to the kitchen. He moved to spread kisses along the three jagged scars along the left side of her face, hugging her tightly to himself.

"I finally got someone interested in working at the cafe!" She said, words practically sung as they left elated lips.

Sam smiled at this, happy that she was happy.

"What, did the rez finally realize we're not a cult of druggies?" Jared asked, though his words were barely comprehensible with the amount of food stuffed in his cheeks.

"No, she just moved here, cutest thing I'm telling you." Emily continued to beam. The very thought of Cynthia putting her into a happiness overload.

"Should I be concerned?" Sam joked.

She lightly swatted his arm, laughing. "She's a real sweetheart, I think you guys would really like her."

"So, does this mean we don't have to help out at the cafe anymore, or..."

KOREY SPEAKS !

first chapter, how we feeling? Remember to comment and vote! :)))