Chapter Two

Her body screamed in pain. Blood gushed from the large gaping wound on her thigh.

Get up.

Her body protested. Nova writhed around in the squelching mud trying to find a grip, a way up, a way out. She hauled herself up and called upon her mist to bring her blade. She reached for the sword and got to her feet, ready to fight the remaining warriors.

She cut through them like she would a branch which had fallen in her path, without hesitation. She killed with swift precision, a sliced neck to the first spaying the next with an acidic mist that melted skin straight off of the bone.

She could do this. She was strong. She was the rock against wich the surf crashed. She was the daughter of the shadowsinger. She was mistborn.

Nova eventually ended the slaughter with one last kill. The skin was calloused and rough. The bone was stiff and strong. The heart was as soft and cold as the blood stained snow.

He was the same as the rest of them during death. Screaming and crying, never as dignified as they imagined they would be. The man died, but the screams never stopped.

Nova woke up panting, covered in a slick layer of sweat. She had to remind herself that she was safe, her family was safe, he was safe.

Nova attempted to fall back into her restless sleep, but the darkness never took over her mind, never let her rest.

Even as a young girl, Nova had loved flying. Before she could walk she could fly and even then her father had carried her in his arms the gentle breeze lulling her to sleep.

Now, at twenty, she still loved leaping into the sky watching the stars float around her, calming her nerves but this time, when she flew, she was not alone.

Nyx was out, flying towards her.

"Hey Nova."

"Hey Nyxie."

The heir slapped her arm playfully.

"Don't call me that!"

"But you get so cute when you're angry." Nova protested. It was a solid reason not to stop.

"I'm not meant to be cute I'm meant to be the dashing and handsome high lord who could melt your mind with a thought."

Oh trust me you are.

"Like I said, adorable."

Nyx mumbled something about how he's not the cute one.

"So what brings you out here?" He asked

"The nightmares are starting up again." Nova replied sullenly.

"Are you okay?" Nyx asked. He knew how much that night had affected her, knew that the memories still haunted her dreams. Knew that she could no longer find solace in the dead hours of the night.

They landed in a clearing in the forests surrounding velaris laying down on the soft grass that had appeared for the start of the warmer seasons.

Nyx wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her into his warm chest. Nova leaned into his touch burying her face in his neck. Nyx had dealt with enough of Nova's nightmares to know that this was the only thing that made her feel safe. Being held in his arms whilst staring up at the beautiful night sky calmed her.

"Is it weird to say I've missed this?"

Nova laughed.

"I think I've missed it aswell."