Love

Clora didn't know how she wasn't dead.

Rather than being crushed underneath the rubble of the repository and encased in a rocky tomb alongside Sebastian like she should have been—and like she wanted to be—Clora instead found herself in the same pose she'd been in moments prior: on her knees, with her arms wrapped around Sebastian as he lay hunched over and limp against her.

Except now they were in the depths of the repository, with the distant shouts and voices of her father and the Aurors drowned out by their rumbling surroundings, which only continued to fall apart and crumble.

Harlow must have cast something to save them as they'd fallen, though why he may have done so, Clora didn't take the time to ponder. The only thing that occupied her thoughts as she continued to sob and cry out was Sebastian, and so she didn't pay any mind to the fact that she was wandless, and deep down in the depths of the repository alone with a dangerous Dark wizard who'd just tried to kill her.

In fact, part of Clora was not only hoping that he'd try again, but that he would succeed. Harlow had been aiming at her, after all, before Sebastian had intercepted and spun her around to protect her. Which was why Clora didn't deserve to live, and why it was only fair Harlow finish the job.

Though even as grief-stricken as she was, Clora still knew that was wrong.

Sebastian had given his life to save her, and a fresh wave of tears streamed down Clora's face when she reminded herself of that, and that her giving up was a waste of his efforts, and a waste of his life's final act to keep her alive.

And then even more tears came, as that realization only brought guilt along with it. Because Clora still didn't care, and couldn't muster the will to live, or muster any drive to fight for her life in that moment—even if it would be for Sebastian's sake, and to make his sacrifice worth it.

But all Clora wanted was the opposite. Because even if she might not be able to be with Sebastian in death, at least she could potentially atone through it.

"Boo-hoo," Harlow drawled, finally reminding Clora that he was even present as he leisurely walked towards her, his boots crunching in the gravelly earth beneath them. "Can't say I'm pleased to be ignored during our touching reunion, little missy."

If Clora had any fight in her, she would have pointed out to Harlow that he was the one who'd foregone any conversation first, in favour of immediately trying to kill her upon their touching reunion.

She didn't, though, so Clora didn't give any sign she'd even heard him as she continued to hiccup and sniffle and hug Sebastian's heavy, lifeless body.

And that response seemed to annoy Harlow more than anything she might have said to him, because he closed the distance between them swiftly, making an exasperated, impatient sort of noise as he yanked her up by the arm.

Another sob tore out of Clora as he did so, though it wasn't due to the way he was handling her, or how painful his grip on her arm was. It was due to the fact that, as he pulled her up and away, Sebastian's body then completely slumped and fell forward as he lay face down without Clora's support.

"Sebastian..." She reached for him, his name barely audible through her hitching breaths and choked sobs. She wanted to be there to catch him and keep holding him, but the sight of him from afar also reminded her that Sebastian really was dead, and that he wasn't simply sleeping.

"You'll get over it," Harlow told her, chuckling low under his breath as he continued to yank her and drag her farther from Sebastian. "Especially thanks to the plans I've got for you. Won't even have time to remember him, I reckon."

That finally got Clora to rip her eyes away from Sebastian in order to look at Harlow, her bottom lip still quivering and her breaths still coming out shaky and rapid and in near hyperventilation, though she otherwise continued to say nothing.

"You see, thanks to you and that stunt of yours, my employer is now no more," Harlow explained patiently, leaning close to Clora and pointing his wand at her chest. "Which means I'll not be getting paid for my services."

Harlow's wand, which was accusingly pointed square at Clora's chest, began to slowly travel down beneath her tie, until it got caught on one of the buttons there. Though he merely continued to forcefully press it down, until that button popped loose and out of its hold, followed by another, and then another as he kept dragging his wand down her shirt, opening it as he went.

"...Lucky for you, though, you can provide your own services to pay me for all my troubles," he explained In low amusement, and even as he slid off her tie, and even as Clora understood the meaning of his words and what he meant to do, she still made no effort to move. "And when I've had my fun, I know plenty of others who would pay good coin to have a go at a pretty little thing like you."

Harlow's sinister laughter rumbled low and under his breath as he reached towards her, foregoing his wand and instead grabbing fistfuls of Clora's shirt as he tore it open the rest of the way, his eyes roaming over her now-exposed stomach and chest, thankfully still at least somewhat covered by her brassiere.

Clora still continued to look past him though, sniffling as she simply stared at what she could see of Sebastian from where she was pressed against the wall, there on the ground. She knew she should try to fight back, or at least resist as much as she could, just like he'd taught her. She could punch him, or kick him where she knew it would incapacitate him, at least for a little while. And then she could take his wand as he howled in pain, and apparate herself away.

But Clora didn't do any of that. Her eyes were glazed over, both with hopelessness and with her tears. She knew Sebastian didn't give his life just for this to happen to her—least of all for her to allow it—and while that made a fresh sob bubble out of her throat, it still didn't make her fight back.

Which was just as well, since apparently she didn't have to.

Because as soon as Harlow reached towards her to finally put his hands all over her newly exposed skin, he sharply recoiled and stumbled backwards with a string of curses, both him and his skin hissing as he ripped his hand away, as though he'd suddenly been burned.

"What was that?" he shouted in both alarm and anger as he brandished his wand and pointed it at her. "What did you do?"

Clora was just as surprised as he was, however, her tears finally stopping just from confusion alone as she tried to understand what had made Harlow react like that.

"I—I don't—" she croaked, cut off by yet another stuttering wave of breaths from her hyperventilating. And perhaps Harlow could see that she truly didn't know anything, because he set his jaw and narrowed his eyes, but otherwise took another careful step towards her as he did so.

"You try that again, and you'll be joining your boyfriend right quick," he threatened, keeping his wand pointed at her as he closed in on her yet again, his hostility easily and revoltingly fading to the wayside and transforming into something else, as his body drew close to hers once again.

But as Harlow reached to take off her brassiere now, he only managed to hook his index finger inside the band of it before he once again came in contact with her skin, yelping in pain as he once again ripped both his hand away, and the last of her coverings along with it.

Clora immediately reached up to hide her now-bare chest, though that was soon the least of her concerns as Harlow recovered quickly, and all but roared as he stomped towards her once again, thrusting his hand out to crush his fingers tightly around her throat.

"You little...I warned—!" he began, though just as quickly as Harlow squeezed Clora around the neck, he was once again pulling away and shaking his hand as if he'd burnt it, looking at it in astonishment, and then back at Clora as she coughed and rubbed at her neck. "To hell with this!"

Harlow stayed back and pointed his wand at her again, the green glow building and building, before he finally thrust it out with a shout.

"Avada Kedavra!"

Clora made no move to avoid it or do much of anything else. She simply looked over at Sebastian's still body, comforted in the knowledge that she would at least join him soon, and always be together. Just as they said they would.

She'd said it before, after all. She could no longer imagine her life without him. And now she wouldn't have to.

But as soon as the Killing Curse came into contact with her, rather than killing Clora as it should have, a sound as loud as thunder cracked through the air as it deflected straight off of her instead, rebounding violently into the nearby rocky surface and leaving a large, smoking scorch mark in its wake.

Harlow didn't have any further outbursts or curses as he now simply stared at her in slack-jawed astonishment, his mouth opening and closing multiple times over, and Clora slowly raised her arms to cover her chest again as she stared right back, and then over to the scorch mark, equally as confused.

Though she didn't dwell on it for long. Because a different sound suddenly echoed in the depths of the repository then, and to Clora's ears, it was a sound that was even louder than thunder.

A groan.

Clora told herself it came from Harlow—it had to have, and there was no other possible explanation.

But that groan was soon followed by a grunt, and the undeniable movement at the edge of her vision, and so Clora slowly turned in both hope and disbelief, joining Harlow as his head conversely whipped to take in the sight.

The unbelievable sight of Sebastian, who should have been dead, blearily beginning to sit up as though he'd just been sleeping.

It was an unbelievable sight, but Clora had no choice but to believe it—especially as Harlow stared and gaped right along with her.

Clora tried to say Sebastian's name and call out to him, but nothing came out as she ran, her voice cutting off in yet another gasping sob as fresh tears once again blurred her vision. Not only did her voice not seem to be working, but her legs, too, were shaking and wobbling and gave out before she could fully reach him, and so she desperately crawled the rest of the way before throwing her arms around him.

"S—Se—S—" Clora hiccupped and sniffed and began to hyperventilate all over again, giving up entirely on attempting to say Sebastian's name as she only focused on him, and everything about him.

She held him as tightly and as closely to her as she possibly could, until she could feel the undeniable and steady beat of his heart, thrumming in his chest and flush against hers. And her tears only continued to stream down as she felt it, and him, and every inch of his warmth, and his scent, completely unaware of Harlow or their surroundings or anything that wasn't Sebastian as she simply held him.

Maybe the Killing Curse had connected, and perhaps this was her spirit meeting with Sebastian's, somehow. But he was too warm and breathing and alive in her arms, and as Sebastian gathered his bearings and then gathered her strongly in his arms—proving, as usual, that he could somehow always close the distance between them even further and pull her even closer—Clora cried even harder. Because even though what was currently happening was impossible, it also wasn't.

He was alive.

It only took Sebastian a moment to collect himself, partly in thanks to the tackling hug that had sent him thudding to the ground and knocked the last bleariness out of him. And as he hugged Clora back tightly, he suddenly remembered what his last memory was: that Harlow was walking towards them—towards Clora—and that he'd shielded her before that green light could hit her.

And, rather pressingly, that he should be dead.

Sebastian didn't worry about that at the moment, however, because there was still something more important to worry about.

"Clora." Sebastian's voice sounded as though he'd been asleep for hours as he finally pulled her away from him in order to gather the rest of his bearings, and in order to get a look at her, and make sure he truly had protected her properly. "Is everything—are you—"

The question of if she was alright abruptly died in Sebastian's throat as it tightened and threatened to choke him, because looking at her properly now, he had all the answers he needed.

Her tie was gone and her button-up could hardly be considered one any longer, due to the distinct lack of it being buttoned up, and the way the shirt had been torn down the middle to reveal what was underneath. Which was not her undergarments like it should have been, and Sebastian could only stare as he was met with the sight of her soft skin and her bare breasts instead.

He felt as though all of his blood had been replaced by ice water as he remained completely frozen, too shocked to even be angry or register what he was seeing, because the fact that he was even seeing this to begin with didn't make any sense. Clora's bare body was something she only showed to him, in private moments, and seeing it now, so suddenly, short-circuited Sebastian to utter stillness.

Though as he continued to stare at her—with her ripped-open shirt and her bare breasts and her face streaked with tears—it wasn't very much longer before that confusion completely and utterly disappeared, and it was as though a switch had been turned on. His blood was no longer frozen, but boiling, and the only emotion he felt was a barely restrained pure, homicidal rage.

"Who did this to you?" Sebastian demanded, the words coming out in an angry growl as his hands tightened hard enough on her arms to leave bruises.

It went without saying that he feared the worst, considering Clora's current state, and Sebastian ground his teeth and flared his nose and inwardly cursed at himself. Not only that he'd died and allowed this to happen to her to begin with, but that he hadn't managed to wake up sooner.

Before Clora could calm her warbly and hiccupping breaths in order to answer him, Harlow did so for her by stepping forward and quickly shooting off yet another blast of the Killing Curse, now headed towards the both of them.

Sebastian didn't have time to shield Clora for the second time as it made a direct course for her back, but it also didn't matter. Because instead of killing, it once again violently ricocheted away like a bullet, cracking dangerously through the air before burying itself in the nearby earth.

He'd been so focused on Clora that Sebastian hadn't realized Harlow was even there, though he certainly did now, and his hands twitched on Clora's arms as his murderous glare snapped to their target.

Harlow's presence alone answered any question he'd had about Clora's state, so Sebastian didn't need to ask or analyze the situation any further or even think. He simply got to his feet, marching towards Harlow before his wand even had the chance to stop glowing green from his attempted Avada Kedavra.

"W-what in the bloody hells—" Harlow almost sounded hysterical as he looked from his wand in confusion, then to Sebastian, who was somehow still very much alive and furious as he briskly strode towards him, and Harlow backed up slightly and pointed his wand out yet again. "Imperio!"

The curse didn't somehow bounce off of Sebastian as it did for Clora, but it still nonetheless had absolutely no effect on him as it hit him point blank, and Sebastian's brisk strides didn't even falter as he shot out his hand and grabbed Harlow's wrist upon reaching him.

"Diffindo!" Harlow growled, managing to slip the spell out before Sebastian could fully and physically disarm him. Thanks to their close proximity and struggle, however, the slice only managed to cut the top of Sebastian's left arm as he merely ground his teeth together and tightened his grip on Harlow's wrist.

Sebastian sharply and violently twisted his arm until Harlow bowed and grunted in pain, and he made sure to keep his wrist in a crushing hold and his body bent and lowered, before he clenched his other hand into a fist and smashed it straight into Harlow's face.

Harlow was definitely bigger and bulkier, but Sebastian was younger, and most definitely angrier, and so it was already over the moment Harlow had allowed himself to get hit once, staggering back unsteadily from that one powerful hit.

As he wobbled and reeled, Sebastian released his hold on his wrist only so that he could yank the wand out of his hand, before grabbing him by the back of his head.

And then he smashed Harlow's smug, sneering face that he'd seen in his memories and nightmares so many times—over and over—into the rocky wall. Again, and again, and again.

Because the Killing Curse was too easy. Sebastian had used it to kill Rookwood, sure, but back then he'd needed to be quick, and dead was dead.

But not now, and not for Harlow. Sebastian wouldn't be satisfied in giving him just any death, and certainly not a peaceful, oblivious death like that. Especially since he'd now experienced for himself what it was like to be hit with the Killing Curse, which meant Sebastian knew from firsthand experience that it was far too good for the likes of him.

He wouldn't give him that blissfully painless and unaware fade to oblivion. He wanted Harlow to suffer, and to know exactly when he was dying, and how, and by who, and why. Because of what he'd dared to do to Clora. Both before, and now.

Sebastian's rage and monstrous strength in that moment was fuelled by it all—how Clora's pink and porcelain cheeks had been bruised purple by Harlow during her capture, and how her rosy lips had been split, and how he'd tortured her with the Cruciatus Curse.

And as if that hadn't been enough, and as if Sebastian couldn't possibly get any angrier, her half-dressed appearance sent him into a blind rage like none other—more intense than even seeing her beaten had.

He feared the worst, and he prepared to give Harlow the absolute worst in return.

So Sebastian had absolutely no sympathy or restraint as he snarled, violently bashing Harlow's face in with every single ounce of his strength, his muscles flexing to the point where it almost hurt him. And he wouldn't stop—not until Harlow's face matched how Clora's had looked back then, and not until it went even further beyond—much further—and until his face could barely be considered a face at all.

Sebastian had been waiting for this, for his revenge—for Clora's revenge—and they were both about to get it.

Clora herself, however, was barely aware of the scene playing out before her, and only distantly aware of the wet and relentless thuds and cracks that followed in the quiet space—again and again and again—as Sebastian continued to viciously bludgeon Harlow into the rocky and jagged wall.

If Clora had been in her proper mind, and in her usual disposition, she might have pleaded for Sebastian to stop, and tell him that he was going too far, and that it was already over, or at the very least force herself to look away from the gruesome sight.

But all Clora could do was stare at Sebastian as he continued, though he finally stopped to let a gurgling and rasping Harlow drop heavily onto the ground, and Clora wisely decided not to look at what had become of his face as he did.

Sebastian remained quiet as he picked up Harlow's discarded wand, and for a moment, Clora thought he was planning to finally put him out of his misery.

But Sebastian wasn't done with his revenge, and still intended to give him even more.

More of what he'd done to Clora.

"Crucio."

The octaves Sebastian dropped upon muttering the curse chilled Clora to the bone as he looked calmly down at Harlow thrashing about, his screams sounding muffled and wet and gurgled due to the state of his ruined face.

Sebastian had never considered himself a sadistic sort before falling in love with Clora, nor one who took delight in causing others pain. Yet he found it rather easy and even enjoyable to watch Harlow as he squirmed and writhed.

Especially when he remembered that Harlow himself had no doubt done the same to Clora, and must have looked down at her as she screamed and writhed in much the same way, and at his hands. And so Sebastian was determined to make sure, that right before the end, Harlow's last thoughts would be regretting ever having touched Clora.

The effects of Crucio and Harlow's screams began to die down then, though Sebastian wasted no time in pointing Harlow's own wand at him to cast Crucio yet again, and then his screams somehow got even louder as they ripped out of him anew.

"Dop!" Harlow pleaded, most likely attempting to yell stop through his ruined mouth and lips as he spasmed and thrashed, though the request only made Sebastian's mouth twist in distaste and his eyes darken even further.

It reminded him of Lawley, and reminded him of what hypocrites these sorts of men were.

Though Harlow hadn't even needed to waste his breath or energy telling Sebastian to stop, because he'd already been about to. He was done with magic.

The rest, he'd be doing on his own.

"Don't worry," Sebastian reassured, low and even as he threw Harlow's wand to the ground and placed his shoe on his neck. "You won't be feeling anything for much longer."

He barely gave Harlow time to register his words before he pressed his heel down and onto his Adam's apple as hard as he could, as if he could make him choke on it.

After the beating he'd endured, Harlow was too weak and disoriented to do anything other than endure and gurgle and choke and helplessly claw at Sebastian's leg, and then at the heel that continued to crush down and dig into his windpipe, completely cutting off his breathing and his words.

And Sebastian grimly watched as he did so, his eyes dark and his face expressionless, still and almost completely statuesque as he uncaringly held his position—especially in contrast to Harlow, who attempted to gasp for air, but instead only continued to choke beneath Sebastian's shoe and his own blood.

His eyes were wide and nearly bulging out of his head as he stared up at Sebastian, and Sebastian met his gaze unflinchingly and without a shred of remorse, making sure he saw the exact moment he was waiting for, and the moment he'd been waiting for.

Finally seeing Harlow dead.

It didn't take long, either. His eyes were still bulging and wide and bloodshot, and although they were still looking up at Sebastian in a desperate panic, they were no longer seeing him. And once his hands fell limp to the sides and his struggles finally ceased entirely, only then did Sebastian finally and slowly release his foot from his purple and bruised throat.

Clora was once again only distantly aware of the final sputtering of Harlow's breaths before they stopped completely, her eyes unfocused and glassy in her daze.

She didn't look at Harlow, or what became of him. She only looked up at Sebastian as he finally began to turn and walk towards her again, and then she wouldn't have been able to look at Harlow even if she'd wanted to. Because a fresh outpouring of tears ran rivulets down her face and blurred her vision as Sebastian quickened his pace and brought himself down urgently in front of her.

"It's alright... It's over." He smoothed her hair and held her face for a comforting moment, though being near her and next to her again made it impossible to ignore what had set off his rage in the first place.

Sebastian set his jaw and resisted the urge to go desecrate Harlow's dead body as he once again was forced to grapple with the sight of Clora's ripped open shirt, and what was plain to see beneath it. What Clora had only ever shown to him, and that Harlow had taken from her unwillingly.

Sebastian gently wiped a few more of her tears before he reached down and pulled her shirt closed, his blood beginning to boil all over again as he did so. Harlow may have been dead, and what had happened may be over, but the fact that something had happened rendered all of that meaningless, no matter how much he comforted her or himself.

"Clora...did he—"

Sebastian could barely get the words out before his throat tightened, completely cutting off the rest of his strangled question. He wasn't sure if it was for her sake, and because he didn't want to force her to speak on it, or if it was because he didn't want to hear the answer himself, and have his worst fears finally confirmed.

If he'd been in a more calm and analytical state of mind, Sebastian would have noticed for himself that, other than Clora's ripped open top, her clothing was still in place: from the parts of her button-up shirt that were still tucked into her skirt (which was also still securely in place), down to her stockings.

But Sebastian wasn't calm, and was instead the most agitated and afraid he'd ever been in his entire life, so it was only the shaking of Clora's head as she whispered no that managed to stop his own shaking.

Sebastian stared at her, as if the answer were too good to be true and impossible—despite the fact that he'd just done the impossible himself, and returned from the dead—though he soon slumped forward, making a choking, strangled exhale of relief as he pulled her into him fiercely and protectively.

It was only then that Sebastian noticed the finer details of her appearance, and how the remainder of her clothing was otherwise intact, and how the exposed sections of her skin were still unmarked by any mouth, and blemish free. And the sight further reassured him along with her words, because Sebastian hadn't fully believed or convinced himself that Clora hadn't simply been lying to him for his own sake, and for his own sanity.

Without leaving her side, Sebastian used Harlow's wand to gather the underclothes that had been ripped off of her, and it was only once Clora slipped back into it and Sebastian mended her torn shirt with a charm, that she finally stopped crying enough to properly speak.

"I'm sorry..." Clora managed to sob out, and Sebastian was certain his heart broke upon hearing it. Both from how she'd said it, to the fact that she was even apologizing at all, which seemed to be a theme with her whenever he saved her.

"He...he didn't do anything to me, but...I was going to let him," she guiltily admitted in a watery, warbly sort of voice as she fruitlessly wiped at her never-ending current of tears. "Even after everything you did for me...I still...it would have all been for nothing...!"

Sebastian clenched his jaw at both her admission and her shame, before he reached forward and held her face firmly in his hands, his eyes dark and solid and grounded as they met hers—blue and watery and still pooling over with tears.

"No matter what happened, it wouldn't have been for nothing," he assured her vehemently, using his thumbs to help wipe her tears as he pulled her forward and put his forehead against hers. "Ensuring your safety for even a few more seconds is worth risking my life over, and I'll gladly do so again and again, as many times as—"

"No!" Clora clutched at his hands holding her face as she shook her head, sobbing in earnest all over again as a fresh wave of hot tears accompanied her desperate pleas. "Stop it...stop talking like that."

Because even though Sebastian always spoke like that, it was too much right now, especially after he actually had protected her with his life, and she really had lost him.

"I don't care if it's for my sake...or to keep me safe... If you're not here with me afterwards, then I—" Clora dissolved back into tears at just the thought, only barely managing to get out the last of what she was feeling, wrapped up into three desperate words. "Don't leave me..."

Sebastian's heart broke yet again, his head down and his eyes shut tight as he crushed Clora against him, burying his face into her hair. He was paying no mind to his own strength, or if he was hurting her, or if he was straining the slice in his arm that continued to stain his shirt, because he just wanted her as close to him as possible. And if he was hurting her, Clora certainly didn't seem to mind, if the way her nails were digging into his back was any indicator.

Sebastian wanted to tell her he wouldn't leave her, and that he would never risk his life for her ever again, but he knew that was a lie. And Clora would have known that, too, which was perhaps why she was still crying so hard. Crying at the inevitability of it all.

Because now that she'd experienced what losing him was like, she knew there was a possibility of it happening again, since her safety was Sebastian's number one priority—even over his own life.

So Sebastian didn't say that. He simply continued to hold her close, and reassured her with something that was true, and always would be.

"I love you," he told her, his voice gentle but fierce, just like his hold on her. "I'm here...I'm here..."

He kept repeating those words, over and over again, as many times as it took, until Clora's sobbing quieted to sniffles, and her shaking lessened to trembles.

"...Your...your arm," she sniffled, looking at the red spot on his arm that was currently wrapped around her, and Sebastian suddenly wished he'd never allowed himself to get hit. Not from any pain, but because his injury only seemed to make her eyes water even more as she reached towards it, no doubt feeling guilty because he'd sustained it for her sake. "Let me..."

Clora put her trembling hands over it, foregoing the use of Harlow's wand and any sort of incantation. And although Sebastian had been about to refuse, or tell her not to strain herself or use any magic at all, the slice on his arm was sealed up in no time.

Sebastian looked to it in wonder, before turning to grin at her both affectionately and proudly. Even without an incantation, wandless magic came so easily to her just then—when it was for his sake, and for the sake of helping others, because of course it did.

Clora kept her hand on where the slice had been, though, looking to it in reassurance as she brushed her fingers over it, and over the warm and freckled skin that was now visible through the tear in his shirt. Because him bleeding and the fact that she'd been able to make it stop at least meant Sebastian truly was alive.

"...How?" she finally asked, grabbing onto him and looking up at him, as if she was still expecting him to vanish right in front of her if she let go, or even looked away. "You were..."

Clora didn't want to say the next word, so she didn't. Her breath hitched as she instead only nestled into Sebastian again, and into his warmth, and reminded herself that he wasn't.

...And he might never have to be.

Because while Clora may not have had any clue as to how Sebastian was still alive despite being hit point blank by the Killing Curse, Sebastian, on the other hand, did have an inkling, and his own suspicions—especially as he continued to soothe her, and felt the hairclip behind her head as he did so.

And if what he was beginning to suspect did indeed turn out to be the truth, then that meant he would be able to do this again, and again, and as many times as it took to keep Clora safe and continue protecting her, no matter what.

He wouldn't have to choose. He would be able to protect her with his dying breath, yet also never have to leave her again.

Not ever.

But if the reason Sebastian was still alive was for the reason that he was currently suspecting, then they couldn't tell a soul. Because then, it might not be death that would keep him from Clora, but Azkaban instead.

The possibility didn't worry Sebastian, though. He'd already risked a life sentence on more than one occasion to protect Clora, whether it be utilizing the relic, or killing Rookwood with the Killing Curse, or casting Imperio on Lawley and Professor Fig, or torturing Harlow with the Cruciatus Curse and killing him only mere moments ago.

So really, what was one more to add to his ever-growing list?

To some, however, it was arguably the most egregious of the list, and so Sebastian nonetheless still hesitated at Clora's question. Would she even know about such Dark magic to begin with? And if she did, would she feel betrayed?

Especially since, if his theory was correct, she was currently wearing that piece of Dark magic, fastened securely right to the back of her blonde hair.

He couldn't risk it, not now. Clora's mental state was already fragile enough, and she didn't need the added worry of his theory, and the potential and grave repercussions of creating such an item, and what could happen to him as a result. So Sebastian merely shook his head and gently reached for her, scooping her still-trembling body up into his arms.

"I'm still not completely certain myself, but...it can wait until later," he said as he lifted her and began to prepare navigating through the rubble and dilapidated repository with the help of Harlow's wand. "For now, I'd rather focus on getting you out of here."

Luckily, Clora didn't seem opposed to that idea as she nodded, content to simply be carried by him, and hold onto him, just as he was also content to do. Sebastian could still feel her trembling as he blasted away rubble and tried to find their way out, realizing they'd been much deeper than he'd thought, and much more hidden thanks to chunks of the still-collapsing repository.

He spoke to Clora as they went, both in an attempt to keep soothing her, and in order to satiate his own curiosity. Sebastian had died before seeing what had become of Ranrok, after all, and Clora had at last calmed down enough to be able to tell him.

"After Harlow...attacked you," she began, still refusing to say the word and what had actually happened, as Sebastian held her tighter in reassurance. "I'd given up, but...my ancient magic, it came out of me all at once, and...I think it was too much for Ranrok to handle."

Sebastian couldn't help but chuckle at that, and when Clora looked up at him curiously, he simply smirked down at her. "Of course that's what brought your ancient magic out," he explained, shaking his head. "Not in defense for when something might happen to you, but when something happens to me."

He should have known, really. Especially as he realized it had been that way since the very beginning.

The first day they'd officially met, and duelled, and gone out to Hogsmeade together, and then been attacked by a troll. Sebastian had stepped in front of Clora to shield her from an inevitable blow, and that had been when she'd blasted it into nonexistence with a pure, concentrated surge of her ancient magic.

Clora clearly didn't seem as nostalgic or charmed by the information, however, holding Sebastian tighter as she mumbled, "If that's what it takes to harness the full potential of my ancient magic, then I'm fine with not using it."

Sebastian smiled and nodded, holding her closer. "Then don't," he agreed easily, speaking the words onto the top of her head and into her hair. "Ravenclaw that you are, you have no shortage of other spells you've learned at your disposal."

It was as though the sun had finally peeked out and shined through the storm clouds as Clora breathed out a small laugh at last, and any of the cracks and breaks in Sebastian's heart instantly filled and mended in that moment, and with that sound.

"There!" Both of their heads snapped up then as they heard the faraway shout of Madam Blake's echoing voice, followed by further commotion and other voices. "Clemons! Sallow!"

Despite her being the one to spot them, however, it wasn't Madam Blake or any of the other Aurors scouting for them that ended up rushing over to Sebastian and Clora.

It was Clive, looking stricken and relieved and thankful to see his daughter safe as he instantly reached for her in Sebastian's arms, brushing his thumb along her cheek.

"Clora," he said, his voice still firm and strong like usual, though the breathless tinge of worry and fear to it was undeniable. "You're safe."

Clive kept brushing her cheek and looking her over, both to check her for injuries and reassure himself of her presence, and Clora put her hand over his and nodded, before Clive then looked up at Sebastian.

Sebastian stilled as their eyes met and the expression on Clive's face shifted: he frowned slightly, his eyebrows twitching low in both disbelief and confusion as he silently regarded him, and just from his expression alone, Sebastian knew that he'd seen it.

Knew that he'd seen him get hit by the Killing Curse, and seen him die.

And with the way Clive was currently staring at him with both guarded caution and suspicion, he most likely suspected how Sebastian was currently standing before him at the moment. Perfectly fine, and perfectly alive, despite it otherwise being impossible.

Sebastian clenched his jaw, straightening under his scrutiny. "What you saw—I...can explain—"

"No need." Clive cut him off, his face severe, and Sebastian slowly closed his mouth before swallowing dryly.

Clive didn't need his excuses, clearly. It was almost certain he knew what Sebastian had done, and clearly didn't agree with it, and so all Sebastian could do was clench his jaw yet again as Clive took another step forward, and Sebastian braced himself for what may come next. How he might tell him to never go near Clora again, or that he would be turning him into the Aurors himself.

But then his hand left Clora's cheek to go to Sebastian's shoulder, his face just as firm and stern as the grip he had on him—a familiar gesture of gratitude that he'd offered to Sebastian once before, when he'd brought her back from the mines.

"The only thing that I saw," Clive began casually and conversationally, as though he were merely commenting on the weather. "Was you protecting my daughter."

He pulled his hand back then, leaving Sebastian stunned as he adjusted his glasses. "Nothing more."

Sebastian only stared at him, still too shocked and relieved to move much as he felt his whole body relax, and then Clive stepped forward once again, in order to take Clora from him.

Sebastian's grip instinctively tightened as he did so, before he quickly caught himself and forced himself to relinquish it, and hand her over. As much as he didn't want to be separated from Clora at the moment, Clive was still her father.

But Clora shook her head and sniffled as he tried to pass her over, burrowing even further into Sebastian's arms, and his chest, and tightening her arms around his neck.

Sebastian flattened his mouth as she squeezed both him and his heart, not wanting to let go of her, either—even if it was to give her to her own father. Still, he whispered to her and tried to get her to let go, if only for his own sake, and so that he didn't burn alive under Clive's stare.

Her father only quietly observed them, however, staring at Clora for a long moment as she continued to shake her head and stubbornly hold onto Sebastian.

"I'll have to trouble you to bring her along, then." Clive turned without fuss and brought out his wand, sparing a quick glance behind him to make sure they were prepared to follow. "I'll forge the way ahead."

Sebastian nodded, and it wasn't long before the three of them were back up at the entrance platform of the repository, thanks to Clive levitating rubble and rocks in order to make their path up, where the remaining crowd of professors and Aurors and Margaret had gathered—the latter of which lunging at both Sebastian and Clora as soon as she could reach them, crying and holding her daughter's face as she smattered it with kisses.

Sebastian had once again attempted to hand Clora off to her parents, but she'd again only continued to hold onto him tighter, and so he kept carrying her while they were flooded with questions from everyone currently present.

"Ranrok?" Madam Blake cut to the chase. "We can't find his body."

"Dead," Sebastian assured when Clora didn't. "The power of the repository was too much for him, and it killed him."

"And Harlow?" Madam Blake continued, and Sebastian didn't miss the way her eyes flickered down, no doubt to the blood speckled on his shirt and his shoes.

"Dead." His assurance was lower that time, now foregoing any sort of explanation.

And Madam Blake didn't ask for one.