016 | Determination

"...I've been better." Sanemi muttered.

Kanae couldn't help but reach out to him, she placed a reassuring hand over his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

    "I'm sorry, Shinazugawa-kun." She whispered, her face etched with sorrow. Her eyes locked onto his.

Sanemi's gaze softened slightly, his eyes locking onto hers as he replied. "You don't have to be."

He leaned back against his pillows, her presence oddly comforting him.

It always has.

Kanae's heart sank. It was obvious that Masachika's passing had affected Sanemi deeply, even she herself had seen how close they were.

    "Shinazugawa-kun. If you need to talk to someone, I'm here for you. If you feel like sharing your thoughts or emotions... I'll be here to listen."

There it is. The reason why he fell for her in the first place.

The unending concern— the way she fussed over him not taking enough care of himself properly during that week.

The way she was so determined to make him feel better alone warmed his heart.

It felt nice.

He long noticed the determination she had.

Sanemi's expression softened further, his eyes narrowed as he responded. "Thank you,"

He paused hesitantly. "..Kanae."

It still felt awkward, even if it were just a name.

She smiled at him softly. Not cheerfully or lively like she always was. Warmly, and it was enough to send the butterflies in his stomach into wild motion.

He had almost forgotten about his Ohagi at that moment, just frozen halfway to his mouth.

Sanemi silently looked down at the treat she had made for him, before he nibbled on the piece he had in his hand, savoring its taste

His cheek splashed in a slight reddish hue which was barely noticeable.

Kanae slowly reached out and unwrapped the bandage from around his neck, catching him off-guard.

"I think you're ready to be discharged soon, Shinazugawa-kun." She smiled, her touch delicate at his skin.

Her fingers traced against the new scar that had formed on his neck.

Sanemi blinked before she pulled away.

Kanae's soft touch lingered there for a fleeting moment.

    "Alright." He whispered, his voice muffled by the Ohagi in his mouth.

***

Sanemi—who was now a Hashira, was discharged the next day and was back on duty.

He was patrolling around a village that night, and he couldn't shake the feeling of warmth that had wound its way up to his heart.