~ 11 ~

When I walked into the bar that night I was anxiously waiting to hear from Saul. It would take them a day or so to get up to Seattle as long as they could all drive, which was unlikely. I still just wanted to hear his voice. After spending almost every day with him for the last three weeks, it was lonely being here without him. I pulled out all the napkins I had written on over the past several weeks placing them all together. 

"What's that?" Jesse asked walking over to me with a bunch of empty glasses.

"I think it's a song," I said hitching my breath.

"Really?" He gasped running over to my side, "Go play it."

I looked over to the piano, "I can't I'm working."

"So?" He laughed, "Fuck it. I need to hear this."

I laughed and picked up my napkins bringing them over to the piano. I set up the napkins in front of me and took a deep breath gently sprawling my fingers out over the keys. I gently started playing the tune that had been playing over and over in my head for weeks.

"Love of my life, you've hurt me

you've broken my heart, and now you leave me, 

love of my life, can't you see?

Bring it back, Bring it back

Don't take it away from me because you don't know what it means to me."

Jesse whistled loudly as I played carefully. 

"Love of my life, don't leave me

You've taken my love, and now desert me

love of my life, can't you see?

Bring it back, bring it back

Don't take it away from me because you don't know what it means to me. 

You will remember 

when this is blown over and everything's all by the way. 

When I grow older, I will be there by your side to remind you

How I still love you.

I still love you."

A small crowd formed around the stage as they carefully listened to the song. I thought of Saul and started to tear up as I played what I could imagine he would play a solo for me. 

"Hurry back, hurry back

please bring it back home to me

because you don't know, what it means to me. 

Love of my life

Love of my life

Oh, mhmm"

A couple of people clapped and Jesse was whistling toward me. I smiled and thanked everyone before walking back to the bar. 

"That was beautiful, Lily," Said said slapping his arm around my shoulder. 

"Thank you," I smiled at him. 

"He's changed you, you know?" He said pulling a bottle of vodka from behind us and beginning on a drink. 

"What do you mean?" I asked, picking up an olive and dropping it into the martini I just made. 

"In the whole year that I've known you, you've never played in front of anyone," He stated leaning gently on the bar, "In a matter of a month he's got you finishing songs and singing in front of a crowd."

I thought about what he said, "Yeah I guess you're right."

I guess talking to Saul about all my hopes and dreams, my fears and worries, had helped me finish a song about him. Not only that, but he gave me the confidence and courage to sing that in front of everyone. Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to get up on stage in front of a rock crowd and sing about fucking girls. I laughed to myself and turned grabbing a bottle of gin. 

At around 1:30 the phone at the bar rang. Jesse walked over and picked it up, talking briefly to whoever was on the phone, "Lily, it's for you."

I furrowed my brows and walked over, taking the phone from him, "Hello?"

"Hello, my love," Saul said on the other end. My heart skipped.

"Hi," I said exhaling, "You're calling early than I expected. You've only been on the road for 10 hours."

"Yeah, well about that," He trailed off.

"What? What happened?" I asked leaning against the door frame. 

"The car broke," He sighed, "I don't think we're going to make the show. We're working on moving it to the next night."

"Oh god. How are you going to get to Seattle? Where are you?" I asked. If I left now I still don't think I would make it to them soon enough. 

"Axl's trying to get us to hitchhike. We're on the Oregon border right now, so we still have a long way to go," He breathed out. 

"I'm sorry. I wish I could be there to help," I breathed out, twisting the phone cord between my fingers. 

"It's okay, just your voice is enough," I could hear his smile through the phone, "Axl is going to blow a fuse, I swear."

"He was about to blow a fuse because we weren't moving fast enough, I can't even imagine what he's like right now," I laughed, "How does this change the rest of the schedule?"

"Well, it fucks the whole thing up. We're going to have to beg them to change our dates or come home," He sighed. 

"Forget Hell House, this is the Hell Tour," I laughed into the phone. 

"Yeah, it definitely is," he laughed back, "Go back to work, baby. I will call you at home in about an hour once I figure out what's going on. I just needed to hear your voice."

"Okay, honey. I'll talk to you in a little bit," I breathed out with a small smile. 

"Okay, my love," He responded and the line clicked. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think I have ever closed faster in my life. I ran in my platform boots all the way home. When I got outside my door I could already hear the phone ringing. I fumbled with my keys before slamming the door open and running to the phone. 

"Hello?" I said out of breath. 

"Hi," He laughed out, "Did you run home?"

"I can hear the judgment in your voice, but yes. Yes, I did run home," I laughed back. I grabbed my bottle of Jack and took a long swig, "Did anything get figured out?"

"No, not yet. We're just standing at this gas station trying to hitch a ride to Seattle. We called the venue and they said they could push the date," He breathed out. 

"Well that's good at least," I responded. 

"Yeah maybe, I think it's going to fuck us because no one knows who we are up there. We were supposed to open for another band and we can't really do that when the band is playing a different night," He responded. I could hear him getting increasingly frustrated with the situation. 

"Well, try to stay hopeful," I responded taking another swig. He was right though, the likelihood of people showing up was low.

"At least I could be home sooner if this whole thing fails," He laughed. 

"If this whole thing fails we'll find new venues," I promised, "You're not going to give up, or you're never going to get out of here."

"I love you," He sighed into the phone. 

"I love you," I responded, "As much as I would love to just sit and talk with you, you should probably figure all this shit out."

"Ugh, this is fucking stupid," He spat. 

"I know, call me when you have an update. I don't care what time it is, don't leave without calling," I said. 

"I will. Goodnight," He whispered. 

"Goodnight," I clicked the phone and walked into my room sprawling out on my bed that still smelled like him.