Chapter Four

“Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power.” 

-Oscar Wilde

Chapter Four

I felt hot all over. Like I was still in the house. But the house was gone and I was staring at Lyssa’s body on the concrete. My mother was hysterical and my father looked resolved. I couldn’t do anything. Michael was standing next to me, but I barely realized it. Tears slid hot down my cheek and my whole body shook. My sister, my beautiful and innocent sister, was dead. She was burnt all over. It couldn’t have been a fast death. It had to have dragged out. And now she’d be buried in the ground looking like some failed experiment. Her hair was gone, her skin practically burnt off, and she looked small. So small. I could hear her. Shane! Shane! What’s happening? Shane! Where are you? SHANE! Oh God. Why did I get to live? I was half the person she was at fourteen. I would take her place in a second. I would rather have my flesh burn off while watching Alyssa walk away okay then be in this position. I just wanted my little sister. And I kept shaking. 

I woke suddenly and gasped. “I’m okay. I’m okay. I’m okay.” I was on the floor. I became aware of Claire’s arms around me, but I felt too stiff to respond. Oh, God. Lyssa. Finally I was able to breath and I returned her hug. 

“Shhh.” She dragged her fingers through my hair. “You’re here. You’re safe. You’re okay.” I pulled away and didn’t look at her. I knew I had to look like hell. 

“You should go to bed,” I told her. 

“Yeah. You first.”

“Can’t sleep,” I said. That was only half true. I mostly didn’t want to. “I just need some coffee or something.”

“Coke?” she asked me. 

“Whatever.” Claire got up and walked into the kitchen. She came back and threw me a coke. I gulped it down and burped. “Sorry,” I mumbled. She sat down next to me. “Where’s Michael?” She shrugged. “Eve?” She shrugged again. “Well, at least somebody’s getting a good night’s sleep. They together?”

“I-don’t know,” Claire said. She hadn’t thought about it. 

“Christ, I hope so. They deserve a little fun, even in hell,” I said. I glanced at her. She was wearing tight black shorts and a loose white v-neck. She had good legs and good skin and good b-

“How about us?” Claire asked suddenly. Huh? “Don’t we deserve a little fun?”

I grinned, “I could do something fun.” Especially with those legs, and that ass, and skin, and.... Woah. She affected me more than she should. 

“Ummm....” She licked her lips and I felt it in my groin. Those lips. How did I not notice those lips? “Define fun.” 

“Quit doing that, jailbait. It’s distracting.” She blushed. 

“So now you want me to stay up? I thought you said I should go to bed,” she teased. 

“You should,” I told her. “‘Cause if you stay down here, there’s going to be fun. I’m just saying.” Fun. I could use some fun. 

“Video game fun?” What? I thought we were going to make out. 

“You want to play video games?” I asked. 

“Do you?”

“You are the weirdest girl.” I shook my head. 

“Please. You live with Eve.” We didn’t say anything for awhile. It felt weird all at once, though I’m not sure why. “Do you think they’re doing it?” She gasped and clapped her hands over her mouth. Her eyes were wide and she looked horrified. I was too for a second. Then I laughed. 

“Man, I hope. Those two could use a good-uh-” Shit I couldn’t say that. And that awkwardness settled again. “Hell. Never mind.” All of a sudden her lips were on mine and...wow. I opened my mouth and slid my tongue in her mouth. Damn. She smelled good, she tasted better. Like chocolate coated in beer. It was just...good. And it took me away from everything. I only focused on her. It wasn’t that hard. We were still on the floor and I was sitting against the couch with her straddling my lap. We sat like that for a long time. Or it seemed like it. But, light started coming through the window and I knew it had to be long. I pulled away and looked into her brown eyes. They were really pretty when the light hit them. She was really pretty. I pushed her off me and pulled myself up to sprawl on the couch. I held my hand out for her to join me. She looked surprised and confused. 

“There’s no room.”

“Plenty of room,” I winked. She squeezed herself in the pocket of room next to me, but I pulled her on top of me. Grinning when she gasped. “Better?” I was teasing, but I was also serious. If she felt uncomfortable.... When you’re sixteen your body can betray you emotions. 

“Perfect.” Her voice was breathless and full of lust. I let my hands drag down over body and I stopped right before her ass and that potent slit, where I desperately wanted to go. Instead I let them linger in the small of her back. I cupped her neck and brought her mouth down harder on mine. She pulled away for a breath and I let my hands travel up her sides. She put her mouth back on mine and when my hands brushed her breasts she gasped. And I felt it. Shit. I pulled away immediately and put her on the other side of the couch. She tried to scoot closer again and I held up my hand. 

“No. Red flag. If you make that sound again, we are in trouble. Or I am, anyway.” 

“But-” Claire blushed. “What about you? You know-” She made vague gestures and I didn’t know how to respond to them. 

“Don’t worry about me. I needed this.” I really did. “So? Did we have fun?”

“Fun,” she said. Her voice was still breathy. “Um, I need to-”

“Yeah, me, too.” Claire took a deep breath and walked upstairs. Good thing she did. I took a deep breath and thought about going up to my room, but then remembered Michael floating around and...it ruins the mood. As if confirming I felt a cold air on me and shivered. “What Michael?” No response. “Claire, right?” Yes. “I stopped.” Yes, No. A shrug? “Well, it made me feel better. So lay off.” I got up and and walked upstairs to take a cold shower.