Chapter 07: In One Way, Out Another.

"How did they discover you were here?"

Anastasia asked Phoenix as they ran through an abandoned tunnel, alarms screaming behind them.

"It's gonna make you laugh when I tell you."

"I could use one about now. It's not like I turn my back on everything I was ever taught growing up everyday."

"I know, but it's too dangerous for you to stay here now. Anyway, they found me by dumb luck; I sneezed as I was passing Agent Frank."

Anastasia stopped running.

"A sneeze! A sneeze caused all of this! I don't believe it."

Phoenix turned, quickly picking her up just as a red beam of light hit the spot she had stopped at.

"That was a bit too close for comfort. Hold on tight, you're about to see one of the ways I enter and exit this building."

Anastasia absentmindedly held onto Phoenix's waist tightly while still mumbling.

"A sneeze, all of this because of a sneeze..."

The tunnel began to fracture wildly. Its colors shifting out of their proper placements. Phoenix ran harder as the world seemed to stretch away from them in all directions. Anastasia snapped out of her bewilderment gripping Phoenix tighter, yelling, fear in her voice.

"What in the hell is going on!?!"

"Don't worry; we'll be out of it in a second or two."

"Out of what!?"

"Too much to explain; just know that it deals with quantum mechanics."

The world snapped back into place around them as Phoenix slowed to a stop. Instead of being in an abandoned tunnel miles underground, they now stood in front of a looming high rise. Anastasia gazed up the side of the high rise in aw.

"It looks like it touches the sky."

"Not yet, but it comes close."

Phoenix opened his large majestic wings pushing them towards the ground with a sense of carefree ease. The ground rushed away as he carried them high up the side of the building to the balcony at the top. Wings flaring out, he landed softly on the balcony where they were met by a normal sized woman with long auburn hair. She looked at Phoenix then to Anastasia clearing her throat.

Realizing that she was still tightly holding onto Phoenix, Anastasia blushed loosening her grip and slipping down beside him.

"Couldn't sleep, Rachael?"

"No. I couldn't. I was up all night worrying. About you. You said you'd only be gone for an hour or two."

"I know, but complications arose that I couldn't avoid."

Rachael, sternly appraising Anastasia, then replied.

"I bet they did."

Phoenix not used to having to explain his actions decided he'd have to this time since he did bring Anastasia back with him.

"It wasn't Anastasia's fault that I took so long getting back. I sneezed while passing Agent Frank."

"Let me get this straight Phoenix, you brought the next in line for hunting you back, here? What were you thinking?"

"Trust me on this Rachael; I know what I'm doing here. She's not going to be hunting me, now or anytime in the future. And I brought her back because..."