Chapter 21: Reborn.

Jane waited nervously under a large oak tree in the park the next day. Her watched displayed time slowly creeping up on twelve pm Sarah had said she would meet her there, but Jane wasn't sure if what she hoped would take place when she got there.

Entering the park Sarah came into view and headed over to the oak tree Jane was under. As she climbed the hill to the tree a large gust of wind blew through the leaves. Jane wasn't sure why but she looked up anyway only to see empty branches. Sarah walked up to Jane looking as if she hadn't slept at all the previous night.

"Didn't sleep?"

"I had a lot to think about."

"Have you come to any conclusions?"

"Yes... I have."

Sarah looked around carefully ensuring their conversation wouldn't be over heard. Turning back to talk with Jane more, a sudden thud hit the ground behind them as if something or someone just landed. Both Jane and Sarah turned to see what it was, only to see a figure's body fading into view. It stood around five foot eight inches tall with four reddish wings. As it became clearer they could tell it was a female with red hair. Fully with in vision now Sarah's hands went to her mouth in shock.

"Anastasia... is that you?"

Her voice trembling.

A small grin took place on the female's face as she placed her focus on Sarah. Jane had hoped that it would have been Phoenix to have shown up, not this being that held strong characteristics of Anastasia.

"Yes Sarah it's me."

"What did he do to you?"

"Merely gave me back what was mine."

"You look so different."

"Because I am different. I am his equal in every shape, form, and fashion."

"But how?"

Jane interrupted them still wondering why Phoenix had not shown up.

"Where's Phoenix? I was hoping he would have been the one to come here."

"Oh he's here Agent Jane. He just wishes not to be seen right now."

Anastasia smiled lightly as she leaned back into unseen arms that held her waist.

Jane's eyes swirled wildly as she attempted to adjust her vision to see him. Anastasia laughed lightly as fiery words were written in the air in front of them.

She told you Agent Jane, I don't want to be seen, so no matter how much you change and set your vision, you won't see me.

Jane's eyes stopped swirling as she read his words.

"But I have some questions for you."

So ask them.

"Um, OK Did you make something called, Mai?"

Oh is he still around?

"Yes, I lost my laptop to him last night."

What did you say to him?

"I just asked him a few questions about who made him, and when he asked me if I knew you I told him that I used to be one of your hunters."

Ha Ha Ha, I'm glad to see he is sill looking out for me.

"So you did make him?"

Yes

"But why?"

It was back then I didn't want anybody messing with my records and Mai was born from that need. Like Ali he is A.I., but unlike her I made him male and he's based somewhere hidden deep in the systems mainframe.

Anastasia moved unseen hands from her waist as she leaned forward looking closely at Sarah. Still not used to Anastasia's new look Sarah became very uncomfortable as it felt like Anastasia's eyes pierced her very soul.

Turning back to the nothing she had been leaning against, Anastasia's irises swirled wildly fracturing out from the center. Through her eyes Anastasia could see Phoenix leaning against the air as if it were a wall. His arms folded across his chest. His head down, eyes closed.

So should I?

"Yes, it's safe."

Asher eyes returned to normal, Phoenix's body began to grab hold of the different particles of light bringing him into view. Sarah's eyes widened as she fully grasped what he really looked like. It was nothing like the pictures that were provided for her. She now understood why Jane had asked her if she had ever been in his presence before. And just like Jane had said he did feel different from the fallen phoenixes that they provided for training purposes.

Anastasia rejoined him, wrapping his arms around her waist leaning into them once more. Phoenix placed his head on Anastasia's shoulder as he watched Sarah carefully. A cool breezed passed through the trees of the park as Jane leaned against the tree's trunk. Sarah sat down on the large rock next to it, no one able to find words to speak. Sarah didn't like how Phoenix's stare remained on her, making her very uncomfortable.

"Ali?"

"Yes, Phoenix?"

Ali appeared hanging upside down from one of the lower tree branches. Looking up at Ali, Jane smiled lightly nodding to her.

"Can you get into The Tower's mainframe from here?"

"Sure. Whacha need?"

"I want you to find Mai for me."

"Just find him? Want me to give him a message?"

"Tell him to start making preparations for an upgrade."

"An upgrade?"

"Yes, it's time your brother joined us."

"He said he'll be done with them before the day ends. He'd also like to know how you plan on doing it?"

"I'm not sure yet..."

"OK"