Chapter 3 - The Incident at the Ball

Miles sat close-lipped by the dinner table, listening to the ongoing happy and laughing conversation with only half an ear. Otherwise he was sunken into his own thoughts, while his right leg jigged nervously underneath the table. The dream from the carriage did not leave him alone, it haunted his mind and made him vigorously think about what it meant. Did he really want that, or was it just a silly prank his subconscious had played on him? What would happen tomorrow when the guests would arrive for the Hearts and Feathers Ball, a certain Mr Dorset amongst them? Why did Miles suddenly feel like a stranger not just in his own home, but even in his own body? The jigging of his leg had apparently got worse, because Kate who sat next to him had noticed it and placed her hand gently on his knee.

"Darling, could you tell us more about the Spanish Riding School?" She smiled fondly at her son. "You wrote that the horses were magnificent and the discipline they showed was –"

"Am I the only one here who is bothered by the fact that we are a viscount's family and we are sitting here dining with a baker, a modiste and... Well, I do not even want to mention what she has been working with." Miles interrupted his mother in an uppish tone and waved his fork towards Siena. Both Anthony and Eddie jolted up from their seats with furious faces, making Kate quickly jump up too.

"No, no! I will not have you three fighting on Miles' first night back home!" She said sternly, glaring at her husband and oldest son. "Anthony, you should show Charlotte, Jack, Siena and Genevieve to that twenty-year-old port wine of yours and Amelia, is it not Lavender's bedtime already?" Kate continued with a meaningful look to her daughter-in-law.

"Yes, it is indeed. Come, Eddie, let's go home..." Amelia agreed, stood up and pulled on Eddie's arm. He cast one more angry glare at Miles before following his wife to pick up their daughter from the nursery.

"We do not want any wine, we are going home too." Charlotte stated sharply and stood up with Jack. "I cannot believe that I was actually looking forward to seeing you." She spat out at Miles while tears were gathering in her eyes, before she marched out of the dining room with her husband close on her heels.

"I must finish a painting...!" Lily exclaimed and left the table at the same time when Anthony took Siena and Genevieve to the drawing room, casting one more scolding look over his shoulder at Miles. Kate took a deep sigh and sat back down in her chair, turning it towards her younger son. Miles looked seemingly indifferent about all the hurt he had just caused.

"Are you pleased now?" Kate asked him quite venomously. "Why did you feel like you needed to insult all of our guests – and your own family members too?"

"I do not know." Miles replied bluntly and stared at his now empty plate.

"Miles, mera bachcha..." Kate exhaled deeply. "I understand that it can feel strange to be back home again after such a long time and when so much has changed here... But these people, who you so crudely judge by their professions, they are part of our family now and you have to figure out how to accept it. I will not tolerate such behaviour anymore from you, Miles Bridgerton. Not about Charlotte's husband, not about the mother or godmother of Eddie's wife, not about anyone who sets foot in this house. It has always been my top priority as the lady of Aubrey Hall that every guest feels safe and welcome here. Is that understood?" She asked in a stern but understanding tone.

"Yes..." Miles sighed, finally looking at least a little bit embarrassed.

"Good." Kate smiled. "Hey, look at me..." She spoke in a much softer tone and caressed Miles' upper arm, but only received a quick glance from his blue-green eyes. "I can see that something is troubling you. Did something happen in Vienna? Did you meet some nice girl over there?" She teased and Miles whisked her hand annoyedly away from his arm.