Chapter 1 [Homecoming]

Leaving the comfort of their nests,
a flock flies across the vast sky to go in search of food for their offsprings who are awaiting their arrival. The cooling wind rustles through the trees deftly, prettifying the city and gardens with a beautiful palette of red, orange and gold foliage.

The crunchy footsteps are heard as people rush out of their homes and start their day with a warm feeling inside and those who don't have a smile on their face, get it gifted by mother nature as they watch the autumn leaves flipping its way, carefree, onto their shoulders.

Everyone is busy with their life, some going on picnics with their family and friends while some enjoy the beauty and calmness of the moment under a tree, reading their favourite books with a cup of coffee.

Between the hustle bustle and merrymaking the parameter of happiness is high among a middle class family of three, the Kim’s. Two of the members, the mother and son, are caught up in the rearrangement of the house. The good news being that Taehyung, the eldest son and the apple of their eyes, is coming home for 2 weeks to join the jolly of the autumn evenings.

Jungkook, the youngest of the Kim’s, is wringing and clipping the washed laundry on the rack to let them air dry, when his focus shifts to his mother carrying a heavy box all by herself. Wiping his wet hands on his black hoodie, he ditches his current chores and hurries up to help his mother.

Mrs. Kim huffs as she places the huge box down that she carried all the way to the front door, her tensed shoulders finally relaxing after transferring the load to the ground.

“We don't need all this junk in our house, do we kookie?”

She asks, looking at her son who just spawned out of thin air, not admitting the little heart attack she had because of his abracadabra entry.

Jungkook purses his lips together as he steps forward, rummaging through the box, desperately searching for something and after a few flips here and there his eyes finally land on it.

A music box, looking historic as if it travels through dimensions beyond the limitations of time, once the centre of attraction now over the hill. As estimated, the ancient looking music box doesn't work anymore but was once the dearest possession of his hyung.

Picking up the music box from the clutter, he gives a thumbs up to his mother to which she responds with a warm smile.

“Let's finish our last chores of the day!”

Mrs. Kim exclaims in enthusiasm, earning a cheeky smile from Jungkook as he gives a firm nod, both equally thrilled to transform the house into a pretty and presentable place for Taehyung, who's been living in that cube sized room for so long now.

From the kitchen to the living room, bedrooms, corridor, bathrooms and lastly basement. They shifted some stuff and furnitures here and there to give a whole new layout to the house.

The house looked well arranged and somehow spacious after they got rid of the unnecessary stuff from every other corner. Literally half the stuff from the house was gone but at least the house was finally breathing again.

“I didn't know we had so many useless appliances in our house.” Mrs. Kim, while preparing dinner, speaks.

Jungkook, who is sweeping the floor in the kitchen, right next to his mother, nods his head in agreement. It genuinely feels like they shifted from their old house to a new one. It is rejuvenating.

“Let's hang your paintings in the living room after dinner, I really love that dolphin and the moon painting.”

Mrs. Kim fills the ladle with broth, blows on it a few times to cool it down and calls out for Jungkook.