Chapter-5: Preparation for the Unexpected

'I have an objection.', her father shouted, 'Let me fight, let my daughter escape from here, I beg of you.'

'Your Majesty.', he addressed Leika's father with respect, 'You should have asked, I could have brought you down.'

Idiot, what was he talking on about in this situation?

'Please, I beg of you, please carry my daughter to safety, let me fight instead of her. Please.', he grasped Leika tightly and pleaded.

'A King shouldn't bow to a mere outsider like me so easily, have faith in your pride, have faith in your daughter. It was her resolve because of which I brought her here. She wished to save everyone, and I promised to give her a chance in exchange of her kindness.', he raised his hand and looked at the hand which was still wrapped in the piece of cloth from her dress.

'But she is my daughter... ', he said.

'I understand the plight of a father, but this is the only way. You can talk for a few minutes if you want, surely your opponent will grant you that?', he looked at Urie.

'I am not heartless enough not to allow that, but make it quick.'

'Thank you.', he said and gestured towards me.

'Leika, please don't do this.', her father asked her.

'It's fine father, I did learn to fight from you and I wish to protect our country, I don't want to waste the chance he gave me.', she took a glance at the unknown guy who was now talking to Urie.

'But you could die.'

'And I could never live with myself knowing that I condemned an entire city because I was afraid.'

With a heavy heart the King of Leuana said, 'I understand but you have to win.'

'Yes, will do.', she said and smiled.

'Then again, who is that man? You appeared out of nowhere even when I send you away days ago, what happened? Where is Ragna ?', there was so much going on she hadn't thought of her sister.

'I don't know about sister, I got separated and don't know about what happened later and as for him- '

'Just a random passerby.', a voice spoke just beside her it scared the daylights off her, she jumped and he caught her.

'Be careful there, ti... Leika.', he adjusted his throat, 'Don't worry Your Majesty, I will see that this fight is fought fairly. I was just discussing that with young Draftel too. That guy is quite like you miss; he is driven to hurt me.'

'Although this is no time for jokes, I am glad we are on the same terms.', Leika stated, 'And one more thing.'

'Anything, please.', this guy is so suited to be a butler.

'When I win you will answer few of my questions?'

'Hmm... as difficult is it to accept, I guess I have no choice, but I will only answer one question.'

'That's fair enough. And... thank you.', she said.

'Thank me later. And now for your weapon?', he asked, 'I see you haven't got any.'

'Oh God!', she had completely forgotten about her weapon and armor, 'I have learnt swords but I never got an official one issued.'

'I can get you one from the treasury.', her father offered.

'Well, that would take some time.', that was true, 'Guess I have no choice.'

Without another word, he stretched out his uninjured right hand, palm faced upwards. He concentrated for a second and something beautiful appeared. As if materializing then and there a sword appeared in his hand, it was beautiful, it looked as if made of pure glass, body and everything. It floated, bottom to top on his palm. The grey setting of the square made it shine like a diamond midst coal.

He tossed it upward a bit and caught it midway while it was falling down, 'It's been ages, since I saw this sparkle.'

'What is that sword? It emits power.', Romust Brisel, Leika's father said.

'Power?', he asked, puzzled, 'It depends on the wielder, it is made out of Dragon bones, please handle it with care. It's light and can cut mountains.'

The moment he said Dragon, four people who heard him backed off in fear.

'When you say Dragon, you don't mean.... ', Leika sked.

'What? When I say Dragon, I mean those lizard guys with wings.', he said it with such innocence.

'I don't know if I should laugh, cry, fear you or smack you.', Leika sighed with a poker face.

'Yeah, here you go, I don't have an armor for women, forgive me. But looking at you, mine would fit too- '

'Smacking it is.', she took a step forward but was interrupted by a swift call.

'Time's up, now face me.', Urie called.

He gave Leika the beautiful sword, truly it was light and balanced. It was a sword every sword master dreamed of. She was bad with heavy swords, but this was balanced. She didn't know how good this sword was but if he claimed it, it should be good enough.

'And one more thing.', he whispered, 'Use magic to counter magic.'

What was he talking about? Everyone knows that Human magic is the least level of magic, Gerocs are far more capable.

She looked at him, who was now again sitting in the seat. He gave her a fresh wink and stood up, 'Let's begin, it will be over when I say.'

She took a deep breath and tried to predict the ways the enemy will attack. He might start with a forward slash and maybe start with intimidating her with direct stabs. She looked at fate and thought this might be her last time looking at this place.

'And... Begin.'