𝐱𝐢𝐱. i've got me

TRUTH TO be told, the General looked like every ugly part of Zoë Cassie had hated at first. But she was her friend, so she ignored the similarities and focussed on the impeding danger.

"Let Artemis go," Zoë demanded.

Atlas walked closer to the chained goddess. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her, then? Be my guest."

Zoë opened her mouth to speak, but Artemis said, "No! Do not offer, Zoë! I forbid you."

Atlas smirked. He knelt next to Artemis and tried to touch her face, but the goddess bit at him, almost taking off his fingers.

"Hoo-hoo," Atlas chuckled. "You see, daughter? Lady Artemis likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the center of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility."

Cassie looked at Annabeth. She was desperately trying to tell her something.

The blonde motioned her head toward Luke. But all Cassie could do was stare at her.

She hadn't noticed before, but something about her had changed. Her blond hair was now streaked with gray.

"From holding the sky," Percy muttered, as if he'd read her mind. "The weight should've killed her."

Atlas approached them, studying Thalia, Percy and her. "So these are the best heroes of the age, eh? Not much of a challenge."

Cassie wanted to show him how much of a challenge they could be.

"Fight us," Percy said. "And let's see."

"Have the gods taught you nothing? An immortal does not fight a mere mortal directly. It is beneath our dignity. I will have Luke crush you instead."

"So you're another coward," he said.

Atlas's eyes glowed with hatred. With difficulty, he turned his attention to Thalia, totally ignoring Cassie.

Which the girl found unbelievable, she was gorgeous!

"As for you, daughter of Zeus, it seems Luke was wrong about you."

"I wasn't wrong," Luke managed. He looked terribly weak, and he spoke every word as if it were painful.
Cassie almost felt bad for him. "Thalia, you still can join us. Call the Ophiotaurus. It will come to you. Look!"

He waved his hand, and next to them a pool of water appeared: a pond ringed in black marble, big enough for the Ophiotaurus.

"Thalia, call the Ophiotaurus," Luke persisted. "And you will be more powerful than the gods."

"Luke..." Her voice was full of pain. "What happened to you?"

"Don't you remember all those times we talked? All those times we cursed the gods? Our fathers have done nothing for us. They have no right to rule the world!"

Thalia shook her head. "Free Annabeth. Let her go."

"If you join me," Luke promised, "it can be like old times. The three of us together. Fighting for a better world. Please, Thalia, if you don't agree..." His voice faltered. "It's my last chance. He will use the other way if you don't agree. Please."

Cassie didn't know what he meant, but the fear in his voice sounded real enough. She even believed that Luke was in danger.

His life depended on Thalia's joining his cause. And Cassie was afraid Thalia might believe it, too.

"Do not, Thalia," Zoë warned. "We must fight them."

Luke waved his hand again, and a fire appeared. A bronze brazier, just like the one at camp. A sacrificial flame.