Two

Five Months Ago

"The cheese Danish is obviously the superior breakfast food."

I paused mid-step, hand going to my throat to clutch at non-existent pearls. "That's a desert, madam."

Hannah Rivera, my best friend and roommate, despite her extremely questionable taste in appropriate breakfast choices, stopped and walked back when she realized I'd frozen in the middle of the sidewalk.

"It's delicious, thank you very much." She sniffed.

"That doesn't make it a breakfast."

"Oh and adding everything but the kitchen sink to a chewy piece of bread does."

I gasped. "How dare you! Bagels are perfection!"

Hannah's startling sage green eyes narrowed. "Fine. I'm hiding the Pop tarts when we get home."

I sucked in a break. She knew that the wild berry Pop tarts hidden in the back of the pantry was my guilty pleasure.

"No need to get hostile now." I rushed to placate her. "Cheese Danishes are...great."

She folded her arms over her ample chest as she lofted a brow and grinned mischievously.

"The best. Say it."

My expression turned mutinous as I glared at her and pursed my lips.

"Say it or I'll east the whole box by myself and make you watch."

"You wouldn't." I hissed even though I knew full well she would.

One of her dark and sculpted brows rose. "Say. It."

"Cheese Danishes are the best." I grumbled, frowning down at her.

Her grin widened. "Good girl."

"Remind me why I'm friends with you."

She linked her arm with mine, her steps annoyingly jovial after winning our debate. "Because I'm the only one willing to do things like come to a midnight showing of Pride and Prejudice with you. A movie I know for a fact you've seen easily over a hundred times."

Well, she did have a point. The 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice featuring the stunning Keira Knightley was one of my favorite movies of all time. Top three for sure. Hannah kind of reminded me of her, actually. The same slim heart shaped face and fine nose. But with flawless caramel colored skin, black hair that rippled down her back like a shiny, inky curtain, and long lean legs that went on for miles.

"Not the point," I replied primly as we continued to head down the sidewalk of the outdoor mall towards the theatre.

The Rio Theatre was located at the back of a popular outdoor mall, filled with high-end boutiques and several different kinds of restaurants. It was normally pretty busy, but at this time of night other people were few and far between. The closer we'd get to the theatre, the more people we'd see.

Hannah threw me a sly smile. "Or is this about the hunky bartender who knows your drink order by heart now and likes to touch your hand just a little too long?"

I bumped her playfully with my shoulder even as my cheeks heated. "Maybe."

Said bartender was handsome in a clean cut and charming way. Easy smile, nice teeth. Trim. I especially liked the way he played up the old esthetic of the theatre in a white long-sleeved shirt rolled up to his elbows under a tailored black and gold vest. An old school kind of attractiveness that made me think of speakeasies and the heavy scent of cigars.

Hannah pushed me back, green eyes sparkling with a good-natured glee at my discomfort. "Ha! I knew it. I don't know why you don't just give him your number already. It's obvious you two have this whole...thing." She swirled her pointer finger in a circle.