Five

Werewolves were almost like a cheat code, or those overpowered characters from books or T.V. Because changing into a wolf wasn't enough. No, no. You also got to be super strong in your wolf body or human body. I broke several things during my first weeks. Doors, a bed frame, dozens of cups just to name a few. I had to really pay attention to not exert any more than the barest effort.

You also got the predictable super smell, hearing, and vision as long as the eyes worked like they were supposed to. I would think this would have been common knowledge, which was why I was surprised that Crowley had left me in the car. It wasn't like I couldn't hear what they were all talking about.

"Alpha Vilkas." Crowley schmoozed, and I fought the urge to puke on the spot. I didn't really want to though. I hadn't drunk or eaten anything since we'd left Missouri. "Good to see you again after all this time."

The Alpha in question look less than thrilled, his expression something I would have seen on someone talking to a snake oil salesman and wasn't buying what he was laying down. "Crowley. You made better time than we'd expected."

I lofted a brow at the suspicious tone.

"We stopped only for gas." He crooned, his smile morphing into a little smirk. "Given the delicate nature of the situation."

The Alpha's face hardened, and his eyes glinted dangerously. "Confirmation of payment has been acquired. We hope you have a safe drive home."

I nearly snorted a laugh as Crowley's mouth fell open, astonished. The meaning couldn't have been clearer. 'You did your job, now leave.'

Crowley wet his lips. "It was a very long drive."

"Driving across the country without stopping will do that. I imagine you're ready to be back in Missouri." Kyrian murmured. "Avery."

The Beta narrowed his eyes at Crowley, then walked down the steps and over to the passenger side door of the car. He watched me uneasily, motions stiff as he opened the door and stood back.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and exited the vehicle, the car door making a loud slam as he shoved it closed. I didn't flinch like I wanted to at the awful loud noise, but my hands did twitch with the urge to cover my ears. Everything was so fucking loud, and it hurt. My head throbbed a little and my skin felt tight against my bones.

The Beta didn't come any closer, and instead looked back to where the others stood. "Pop the trunk so I can grab her bags."

Crowley had the good grace to flush, his fist tightening at his sides and looked down. "She doesn't have any."

The female made an outraged sound low in her throat. "She's been with you for four months and has nothing?!"

'Nope. They'd burned the alternate outfit I'd been provided as we'd driven away from their compound.'

She growled when Crowley offered no other explanation before she flounced past him, her nose lifted in the air as she came to her mate's side. She was a good deal shorter than me, and I'd put her height at around five foot four or so. Her expression warmed as she regarded me. "We're so happy to have you here. I'm Britta Winslow. The grump here is my mate, Avery."

The Beta seemed even more tense now that his mate was close to me. Wish I could say it was a first. He dipped his head slightly though, which was better than openly sneering at me I guessed.

"Hello." I replied and clasped my hands tightly together. The level of awkwardness was nearly choking.

Britta gave me an encouraging smile and indicated I should follow, which I did, with her mate between us.

Crowley's lip curled up, flashing his teeth at me as we rejoined the group with us now on the same level. I gave him a bored look which only seemed to piss him off more than if I'd done something like flip him off. Almost as if he could tell what I was thinking, his hand twitched like wanted to take another swing at me.

Rather than take the bait, he glared back up at the Alpha, who stood with his arms crossed and feet spread shoulder length apart. An imposing statue with a predator lurking just below the surface. The tension between the two was thick, almost a physical thing.

"She's your problem now. If you'll excuse me." Crowley bit out before turning around and all but running back to his car. I waited until he was inside, hatred blazing in his eyes, before subtly flipping him the bird.

He snarled, started the car, then peeled out so fast the small rocks of the driveway went flying at us. I few of them hit and bounced off harmlessly. I barely felt them at all.

"What an uber douche." Britta said scornfully as we all watched the car disappear into the trees. "Missouri can keep him. Now, about you."

I'd gotten lost in thought, in the wonder of being away from the second pack determined to make my life a living hell. The smell here...it was so clean and rich. Even their scents were so different from the wolves that had been allowed around me back at the compound. Sandalwood, pine, balsam, violets, spring rain even though it was nearly autumn. As different as day and night from the small room that stank of sweat the bite of steel.

I could hear the birds, the wildlife in the forest around us. The feel of the mountain breeze on my skin was like being reborn. For the barest part of a moment, I could pretend I wasn't a freak, a one-eyed monster. Like I wasn't still drowning.

A soft, feathery light touch came down on my shoulder. I knew, rationally, that it was only her, Britta, attempting to gain my attention. Probably to give me some kind of instructions and take me to wherever I was staying. I knew that but couldn't cling to it. Instead, I was transported back, sucked down a black tunnel and right into the waking nightmare. Back into the small cage where we were packed in like sardines, forced to sleep leaning up or not at all and listen as another woman was dragged away. And then to her screams.

I exploded out of my clothes, my wolf form coming on so strong and fast I reeled from it. Bones snapped, cracked, bent, shifted, and then reformed in the space of a breath. It hurt a little, but it was a sweet pain. Then I was on all fours; my wolf taking over. She would never allow us to be hurt like I had been. She was strong, and would die first.

The Beta had pulled his mate back several steps and behind him. He was tense, poised to attack if I made even the smallest move he didn't approve of. Britta peeked around his side, her eyes heavy with sympathy and heartbreak. The Alpha though, hadn't moved. Not an inch. He hadn't changed and charged me, or looked at me like the monstrosity I was. He kept his face carefully relaxed and expression understanding.

"No touching. We understand." He said softly, and crazily I believed him.