Chapter 3: Not as Alone as I thought

I run frantically from room to room, my breaths coming out in short and frantic gasps. I open every door I can find that isn't locked in the dormitory. The ones that are locked, I yell into. Nobody answers me. I run back to the main building, feeling myself panicking. I swing the heavy doors open with a bit of effort, catching the edge of my skirt on one door when it closes. I stagger backwards and pull it free. I run towards the first classroom I see. Mr. Brydan's class. It will be incredibly awkward if there are people inside and I'm just panicking, right?

I reach for the door knob, almost twisting it open. I close my eyes in anticipation, almost scared to see what's there. I listen for some sign that people are there. The sound of snickering, the annoyed muttering of our student teacher, the sound of text books opening and closing, and I would even settle for Mr. Brydan's yelling right now. 

I finally open the door and...I find myself staring at a completely empty classroom. 

"No," I gasp, my eyes widening with panic. "No, no, no, no, no!" 

I must be having a hallucination or something. I must be dreaming. I probably passed out in my room or something while doing homework, that's all. I scamper down the hallway, opening a closing door after door. Empty. Empty. Empty. Empty, empty, empty! 

Everyone's gone! All the adults, all of the kids, everyone–wait. Sam was in the principal's office. I sprint down the stairs, nearly falling on my face in the process. I start yelling even before I make it fully inside the principal's office.

 "SAM?" I shout down the hallway and dart into the principal's office. I start to pant and gasp for air. This was a big school, and I just ran across half of it. There is no time to be tired though. I have to find Sam. 

"SAMMY?" I plead into the silence that threatens to overwhelm me. I stand frozen in the middle of an empty office. Nobody is here. Sam is gone, along with everybody else. What is even happening right now? How–how can this many people just disappear into thin air? I fall down to my knees on the ground, gasping for breath. 

This–This was not happening. This wasn't real. I have to wake up. I can feel tears burning at the corners of my eyes and I feel like puking. It isn't possible. How does a school that was full of staff and students just half an hour ago turn into a completely empty area? Maybe the principal had called an emergency meeting outside. Maybe there was a fire drill I didn't hear? That's right. Everyone must be outside. 

I dash over to the window by the back desk. My heart immediately sinks. There is nothing, nobody as far as I can see. I maneuver myself all around, desperately looking for some sign of life. This is not real. It can be. 

I pinch my arm repeatedly. It's all a dream, It's all a dream. I just need to wake up–! 

I pinch my arm a little bit too hard. I hiss in pain and clutch my arm. Damn it! Not a dream, not a dream. 

My only option is to go outside and find someone with a cell phone so I can call my parents. I'll get them to explain what is happening. If they haven't already disappeared like everyone else... 

I walk down the stairs, too tired now to run anymore. I gasp for breath as I reach the bottom of the stairs and stagger outside. I collapse against the side of a tree outside. Good thing too, because just as I fall to the ground, I hear the sound of footsteps heavy with purpose. I shrink back against the tree.