Chapter Twenty-Three

__________________________________

A perfect world is never perfect,
only filled with lies,
Promises are broken and more resentment
come alive

Pride- Kendrick Lamar
__________________________________

Pride- Kendrick Lamar__________________________________

❣︎❣︎❣︎

  Newt and Gally were the first to run out the room. I followed behind, hearing the alarm in the glade get louder as I made it outside.

"Ok. Wait- Wiat, I know that sound."

I stopped running and stood next to Chuck. We looked at the box and saw the wheel spinning in a circle.

"The box- The box is coming back up."

Minho mumbled something I didn't quite hear and ran past the three of. Without saying a word I ran as fast as I could to Newt and Gally

They opened the doors to the box and Newt dropped down into the crate.

"Newt, what do you see?"

"Do you see it?"

I pushed through the crowd of eager ex boy, trying to see what or who was in the box.

My eyes widened as big as the moon. A unconscious girl laid on the floor of the box. Newt stood next to the girl. Her hair was the color of a deep brown and she had pale skin. The girl wore a blue with an undertone of grey, long sleeve and dark jeans. 

I took in her appearance. She was beautiful. But there was something off about the girl. I couldn't get the sensation out of the pit of my stomach.

I glanced at Thomas wearily. He noticed my sour expression and got a better look in the box. Thomas's eye lids flickered when he saw the girl.

"It's another girl." Newt titled his head up.

The large group of boys huddle around the box, shifted among each other.

"No way."

"Another one?-"

"I think she's dead?" It went silent.

The creators wouldn't send a dead person into the glade. Would they?

Immediately, I jumped into the box. The metal box shook beneath my feet as I walked to the unconscious girl.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Gally yelled.

I ignored the annoying boy and gently put two fingers on the girls neck. I tried to find her pulse. Five seconds later I found it.

"She's alive." I breathed out in relief. Her pulse was slower than it should be. Newt faintly smiled and shouted to the boys above us "Never mind, the strange girl is alive."

I scanned the sleeping girl, my eyes darted from her shoes all the way to her head. I paused, noticing a white piece of paper in her hand.

"Newt." I signaled the boy to look. "What is that?" I asked him.

He carefully peeled the white paper out of the girls strong grip. Newts eye met mine before he unfolded it.

The mysterious paper had five black letter on it.
"She's the Last one...Ever" Newt read out loud.

He handed me the paper and I gladly took the note. I turned it around to see if there was something else, but that's all it said on it.

"What the hell does that mean?" Newt said, his thick accent rolled of his tongue.

Out of nowhere the girl gasped dramatically. Her eyes opened wide and her lungs took in a large amount of air.

Startled by the girl, I fell back and landed on my butt. The hard metal underneath was painful.

"Thomas." She gasped. I snapped my head up, landing my confused gaze on Thomas. So did everyone else. He awkwardly stood there glancing at the people who stared. Before I could say anything to him, the girl spoke again. "Lilah." I looked back in an instant. It was too late she already closed her eyes and drifted off into a deep slumber, leaving us on a cliff hanger.

I stared at the girl, bewildered. I was more than just confused; I was befuddled. How the hell does she know me? How does she know Thomas? Who is this girl?

I felt Newts hazel eyes on me. He didn't once look away. What was he thinking? Oh how I would sale my soul to know what Newt was thinking of right now.

I was too scared to move. I felt like as the days go by I keep on giving people reasons to not trust me. To become weary around me.

There's so many secrets I'm hiding. Not only from the glade, but myself.

Who am I?

Who was I?

This wasn't normal. All the dreams and memories I have. The fact that Thomas and I feel like we've known each other prior to the glade. And now her.

"Do you still think I'm overacting?

Gallys stupid comment filled my head and for the first time I agreed with him. He wasn't overacting. Gally has every right to feel that way towards me.

They all do.

So why does it hurt so much?

__________________________________

A/N: I have a love and hate relationship with Teresa.