Volume 1; Chapter 2; A New Apple A Day,Keeps the Bookworm Away

This feeling..
After entering the garden, Raichi felt the unfamiliar presence once again after months. The feeling of entering the garden for a repeating day of classes was perhaps indifferent from the last time. Or perhaps it was going to turn out differently. However, in the end, Raichi's hopes for school were as low as they used to be. And now, they were going to find their respective classes and seats. Being in the same class as Hiroshi and Hara didn't sound like such a bad idea, and he wasn't necessarily opposed to it. Just the ideas that came with it seemed like they'd be in dangerous territory. He gulped while going over to the names list. The area was full of people. Everyone was looking for their names, so the garden was filled to the brim. The environment felt anxious and easily readable.
"C'mon. Perhaps we'll be in the same class, won't that be awesome?"
"Honestly, yeah."
"Then what are you nervous about? Let's go." Hiroshi said with his usual confident grin. Raichi, looking around could see the crowd around the board. Seeing how crowded it was, he understood how hard it'd be to get near. He just got an idea. He was going to use the camera's zoom feature. When Raichi randomly pulled out his phone, Hiroshi and Hara were watching him curiously. When they perfectly understood just what he was trying to do, they went 'Ooh!'.
"Wow, nice thinking there, bookworm."
"Thank you, thank you.", Raichi said with a grin. "Now, do you guys want to look for your names first?"
"Sure, lemme look for mine!" Hiroshi said and started looking through the list from afar. As he was looking and reading, he saw a familiar name. It read 'Yaori Yamada'. He recognized the name for a few reasons. Her reputation went as far as to have a nickname.
''Oh, look who it is!''
''What is it Kimura-kun?''
''It's the Acing Bookworm. She landed in grade B.''
''Oh? What grade are we in? Perhaps we landed on the same grade.''
''I'm sorry, who are you two talking about?'' Raichi said curiously. As someone who had only recently moved, he hadn't heard of whoever they were talking about. So he ended up asking them.
"Oh yeah, you don't know her. I kinda forgot about that." Said Hara with an understanding expression. They decided not to keep Raichi in the dark.
"You see, the Acing Bookworm is Yamada-san's nickname. She is mainly popular because of her unusually high grades and the fact that she was usually seen reading and keeping to herself all the time." Hiroshi explained. Raichi looked back in confusion. That's exactly the same thing he does. How come she got positive attention, while people thought weirdly of him instead? He wanted to know why.
"Wait..but that's exactly what I do."
"No, it isn't. Unlike you, she is good at her grades." Hiroshi said bluntly. His words had hit like a truck. Raichi knew his grades weren't as good as they should be, and that's because he wasn't trying. He knew he was a high-potential student who would have very good grades if he worked just enough, yet he never really paid any attention to it. He'd always note down everything useful and necessary and study just enough to have an above-average grade.
''Ouch. There was no need for that..''
''I guess so. But still, there is a difference between being distant, and being cold.''
''I get it.'' Raichi said,understandingly.
''Although, didn't the teacher say to your face that you have great potential to tap into?'' Hiroshi asked.
''They did. But I don't need to take it seriously. All I care is that I pass.''
''That's..a stupid thing to say, Raichi-kun!'' Hara said. She looked visibly frustrated. Raichi had jumped back in surprise. He hadn't expected his friend to get angry. But, Hara had found the words that came out of Raichi's mouth stupid. And perhaps rightfully so. Is it so hard to give it your all?
"Aren't you hearing yourself?"
"I..am. I don't really care about getting a good grade."
"But..what do your parents think about your grades?"
"They..get occasionally very happy when I accidentally try too much."
"Seriously..?" She said disappointingly. She decided to quickly borrow the phone to look for her name, snatching the phone away. Hiroshi awkwardly scratched his own back in surprise. Raichi himself had turned away in shyness. And a few seconds later, Hara had gasped in surprise.
''S-Suzuki-chan?''
''It seems.. we are all in B."
"Yeah!" Hiroshi cheered. He was happy to find out that they got in the same class.
"Ha, my gamble ended up being worth it." He said with a grin on his face. Raichi perfectly understood what he meant. The gamble was the three of them ending up in the same class. And it seemed like the odds were in his favor today. Now, he could start the plan he had on his mind for a whole summer season. He was finally going to help out his best friend in establishing a successful social life. When he finally got his message across, Raichi couldn't do anything about any plan Hiroshi could think of, the perfect unfoldable plan. Whenever Hiroshi went into scheming mode, his grin would show very visibly. And he wouldn't even realize it. It was usually up to Raichi to intervene, but this time, the schemes were about him.
Why is he so obsessed with the idea of me socializing?
"So, what kind of scheme are you onto this time?"
"Wh-what? Can you repeat it?" Hiroshi turns, right after shaking his head left and right to unfocus.
"N-No. Nevermind."
"Oh c'mon. Don't back out on me!"
"No. You missed your chance because you were too busy being skeptical."
"Heh, fine then.."
And Hiroshi was already off of the bookworm radar. He could finally let his guard down. But Raichi had gotten quite nervous. Because he knew there was more than just the student list awaiting him. It was almost time for the ceremony, and as a transfer student, he knew some people would try to talk to him, and get to know him better. But he considered just minding his business and just doing the same thing he always does. But of course, Hiroshi had other plans. After all, Raichi knew what kind of shenanigans Hiroshi liked to pull off. Although it seemed like he didn't have anything on his mind yet. Hara looked over at Raichi and saw how nervous he was. She looked like she felt bad about what she said earlier, even if both of them knew it was true.
''R-Raichi-kun?''
''What is it?''
''You seem nervous.'' She said concerningly. ''Is it the ceremony?''
''Yeah. It is more or less from the anxiety that comes with talking with people.''
''Oh c'mon. You know we're here if you need anything. Plus, Kimura-kun has high hopes for you to socialize.''
''Since when did I say I agree with him?''
''You kind of have to, dude.'' Said Hiroshi, the overhearing cool dude he is. ''If you don't, I'll just drag my good old friends into getting into your circle.''
''Please don't. I can't keep up with you sports and gossip nerds.'' Raichi roasted back. Or at least that's what Hiroshi thought. In reality, he was kinda begging for mercy. But Hiroshi, not receiving it so kindly, decided to jokingly call him out.
''Says the bookworm.''
''Oh shut up.''
''Hehehe.''
When the chat was over, the bell rang and it was time to make their way to the ceremony. Raichi tried not to draw any attention to himself. Since he was a new face, he drew attention regardless. But eventually, they arrived at the line. Raichi, taking his place, was looking around to see what kind of profiles were in this school. There were some eyes on him. One of them, which Raichi also looked back at, was a light brown-haired girl, with glasses and a crown. She had a distant aura. It was a presence that said ''Please don't talk to me.'', and yet she looked like your average introverted girl. Perhaps it was because a bookworm understood a bookworm best. They both looked at each other for a split second, both getting slightly mesmerized, before quickly turning away. Looking around once more, Raichi could see that all the glances in his direction were looking at her, too. Hiroshi and Hara were standing by Raichi's side, and though they didn't see Raichi's expression, they could tell she looked at him the way she did. And to say Hiroshi was impressed would be an understatement, while Hara just stood in bewilderment.
''Oh? It seems you've caught a certain gaze, dude.''
''What? A girl just looked back at me, mouth wide open. That's my biggest social achievement.''
''You are..acting like I'm not a girl.''
''I meant a total stranger you idiot.''
''I was a total stranger once.''
''S-Sorry.''
''I was kidding!''
''Hey, there was a reason why we're impressed here!'' Hiroshi said, and he looked serious for once. He clearly had something important to say, judging from his expression.
''The person that looked at you like that was none other than the person we've told you about. You caught the gaze of the Acing Bookworm herself.'' Hiroshi explained.
''You're meaning to tell me this Yamada-san you speak of was her?''
''Yup. I don't know why she looked at you like she saw something spectacular, but she did.''
''But all I have worth looking at is my bookbag.''
''I bet that's what she thought, too.''
''Well..'' Raichi looked back. ''Why do you guys see her like that?''
''Like..what?'' Hiroshi asked in question.
''From what you said, it seems the school treats her like some unapproachable deity.''
''True. But you see, she is the one being unapproachable. She is essentially you, except she has the popularity that comes with having good grades and beauty.'' Hara explained in full detail, and now Raichi could assess the situation. Most girls with such popularity would have made use of it. Perhaps use it to hook themselves up with someone as popular as them, or control the room in a way that is to their advantage. When they enter the room, they change the feel entirely. That; was the aura that came with such popularity. But it seemed like this Yaori person didn't seem to like it, and Raichi could understand that with just one look at her, and all that he had heard of her. To confirm his suspicion, Raichi thought of asking a question.
''I see...'' Raichi looked toward the two again. ''I have a question.''
''What is it?''
''Does Yamada-san really just read books the entire time?''
''She does. She has a bookbag filled to the brim, perhaps she brings new ones every time.''
''And how much does she interact with the entire class?''
''Hmm..not much. Even during group projects, she tends to get permission to work alone.''