•16

Before

Drawing my attention from the windshield, the blonde child beside me poked my knee with his finger.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Lauren," Claire muttered in a defensive tone, "Be nice."

Suppressing my groan, I pressed my back against the back seat, gaining a view of all the occupants in the car.

"What's your name?" I asked the kid.

"Gray."

"I'm Lauren. Glad to see you weren't torn apart by the Indominus."

"Lauren," Claire said again.

Ignoring her, I pointed at the drivers seat, "That's Owen."

"What does he do?" Gray asked.

"Flirt with me mostly," I said, receiving a wink from him in the rear-view mirror, "Nah, he works with the Velociraptors. I work with--"

"--the Mosasaur," Zach said, joining the conversation, "We saw the show. Gray talked to you, don't you remember?"

"I talk to a handful of kids every day, so, no, I don't remember. Hope you enjoyed the show, though," I said.

"Zach did," Gray said.

Unable to reach across and smack him, Zach glared at his smiling brother.

"Why do you say it like that?" I asked, peering between the two curiously.

Understanding far before Claire and I, Owen let out a chuckle, "Does Zach have a crush on Lauren?"

In response, Zach averted his eyes and started to stare out the window at the passing land.

"I'm flattered," I said, patting his back, "If we get off this island, I'll let you take me on a date."

"Lauren." It's not hard to guess who said that.

"He's like twelve-- I'm kidding," I insisted. When Claire looked away, I nudged Zach and mouthed, "Or not," which made him laugh.

"Where are we going?" Gray asked.

"To the raptors," Owen responded.

"This asshole has been trying to claim the raptors for years, to use them as weapons in the military. He's got the chance to do it right now," I explained.

"And we can't let that happen?" Zach asked.

"That's the goal," Owen agreed.

"Do you think we can stop him?" Gray asked.

"Is he just going to take the raptors?" Zach wondered.

"Do you think maybe the raptors could stop that.. Uh.. Indominus?" Gray asked, "Do you think--"

Eyes wide in annoyance, I muttered, "Do you think you could stop?"

"Lauren."

"If you say my name in that tone again, I will hit you, Claire," I snapped, pointing my finger at her.

For help, Claire looked at Owen.

Sighing, Owen said, "Lauren--" and was stopped by myself reaching through the seats and punching his shoulder, replacing his next words with a pained, "Ow!"

"You said my name in that tone," I said defensively.

Zach grinned, nodding his head, "Yeah, I like her."