Chapter One

Shiloh has always dreaded the moment he would find out what Alaric wants to keep hidden from him. Now, he wants to go back to being a blissfully ignorant boy. He was not familiar with the name the envelope addresses him as. It has his first name. And a surname he doesn't own. The letter calls him Mister. S Black. Madison was certainly not lying when she said the letter leads to a world of magical wonders. He has been accepted into Hogwarts. A school of witchcraft and wizardry. Located, in London, England. A school he never signed up for. But the abnormal things that happen around him did the signing for him. Now, he regrets breaking the seal on the letter.

Dear Mister Black,

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours Sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

There are a lot of things Shiloh finds wrong with the letter. One, the surname Black. Two, he has no owl. Three, books and equipments are going to be an issue to find in a world where witches and wizards are supposed to be fairy tales. The whole thing is ridiculous, they really expect him to just believe this. But Madison had convinced him. She pulled out a wand and made an orb of light. And explained that he is descended of powerful witches and wizards. Not to mention, his whole life has been a lie. Alaric is not his father. Atleast, not biologically. The scary truths become too much for the ten year old's mind to handle.

"What an odd dream." He mumbles to himself. Not sure why he would make himself dream such thoughts. This is some elaborate fantasy to shield him from the harsh reality of the world. He can feel it. He knows he has a tendency for escapism. But this is taking it to the extreme. No matter his attempts, Shiloh finds that he can't wake himself up. Madison gives him a look of pity. He's to young for the world to crush him so.

"That is not the case, Mister Black." Dumbledore inputs. Moving himself out of the chair. "Have you found yourself feeling emotions that don't belong to you?" Shiloh's form shakes as he nods. "Have you not seen with your own eyes how you made a bowl of cereal float?" Shiloh nods and falls to the ground as the harsh truths break through his walls. Alaric isn't his father. He's a wizard. Magic is real. He's been lied to his entire life. "You see, you're special Shiloh".

"Special's just a nice word for..."Shiloh starts.

"Weird? Or crazy?" Dumbledore interrupts. "Yes. Yes, sometimes, it is. But sometimes, it can be a word to describe people who are significant, amazing, or just really talented. You've got gifts beyond the realm of magic, Shiloh... gifts bestowed upon you by Artemis, the Original Empath." Dumbledore cheers him up. "If it helps, we have a place at Hogwarts for you. A place where you can be yourself." Shiloh smiles and pushes himself onto his feet. A smile also graces Madison's face.

"I-I accept." Dumbledore spares a warm and grateful smile to Shiloh.

"Excellent."

"Um... slight problem." Alaric announces. Dumbledore glances at him through his glasses lens. "Where are we supposed to find these school supplies?"

"No worries, that's what Madison's here for. She'll take care of Shiloh's wizarding needs and finances. While you take care of his muggle needs and finances. And yes, you will be allowed to see Shiloh during breaks." Alaric gives Dumbledore a look.

"You had everything planned."

"Well, yes. Mr Black's parents had everything put into place for him." Dumbledore announces. Shiloh can feel a pinch of despair from Alaric when the words parents are used. He cannot imagine how Alaric must feel. This is a conversation, where parents in Alaric's case; adoptive parents have when their kids are fifteen. He hopes this doesn't ruin their father-son relationship.