chapter 13

"You can't just stand there all night." Selene looked up to see her mother standing a few feet away, her purple dress hanging perfectly on her body.

Selene nodded to the two glasses full of golden liquid her mother held in her pale hands. "Are any of those for me?"

Her mom nodded slightly and handed it to her before taking a sip of her own. "You were supposed to have fun tonight. You have hardly left your room all summer, and you look gorgeous tonight. That dress looks amazing on you."

Selene looked down at the dress. It was gorgeous. The dress her mom bought for her to wear to the ministry balls was always there, and this one was no exception. It was a perfect shade of lilac.

Her mom was right, though. She had hardly left her room for a week, laying in bed and reading or watching TV on the one her mom had bought at a thrift shop and reading. For the first summer in Selene's memory, she had decided not to go to New York to spend the break with her father. She hadn't hung out with her friends all summer, either. She didn't even tell them that she was still in England, worried that they would want to hang out a lot when all she wanted was to be alone.

"You have been acting different this summer, Selene," her mom said, a crease appearing between her dark brows.

"I'm fine," Selene said, her smile feeling uncomfortable, tight, and out of place on her face.

Her mother opened her mouth to say something when she was interrupted, "Amber, I don't think you have introduced me to your daughter; for as long as she has been coming to these, I am surprised we have not met."

The Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, stood in front of them. His bowler hat, which he usually wore, was discarded for the evening, leaving his balding head on view for everyone. He smiled at Selene, and she tried her best to return it.

"This is my daughter, Selene, Minister. Selene. I'm sure you know who this is."

"Yes," she smiled. "It's an honor to meet you, sir."

"Is that an American accent I hear?" He asked, leaving forward as if to hear her better.

"Yes," Selene cleared her throat, leaning back slightly, "I spent most of my childhood in America with my, um, my family."

"She is going into her fifth year at Hogwarts." Her mom smiled proudly and said, "Ravenclaw."

"Ah, yes. That is why I came over here. I'm gathering a bunch of Hogwarts students who are here with their families and introducing you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"Oh, that's very nice." Her mom said, clasping her hands together, the glass pressing between them.

"Right, well, if you go past the food table and to the hallway to your right, there will be a bunch of your classmates. You can wait there for her."

Selene whispered a thank you and followed his instructions to the hallway filled with Hogwarts students. Selene pushed herself against the wall, trying to become as small as possible. She scanned the students, her eyes finding familiar faces, until they stopped on Theodore Nott. He chose that time to look up and directly at her. They stood for a second, keeping eye contact until he looked away and back to his girlfriend, who was talking enthusiastically.

"Ahem ahem." Someone coughed in a way that tickled Selene's brain uncomfortably and made everyone stop talking to see who needed the Heimlich maneuver.

Selene found the source of the noise in a short woman all in pink. She stood beside Fudge, who, though he wasn't a tall man himself, looked tall next to her. She smiled at them—a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes and looked more like a snake. Something about it made her shiver.