i. haunted

1988.

In Shadyside, survival was a game of chance, where the odds were stacked against you from the moment you drew breath.  Shadyside being known as Killer Capital USA was something the ten year old Clementine didn't think of. Her family was safe, she had a roof over her head, she had food on the table. She didn't need to worry about what was happening and thought a horrible event wouldn't happen to her & her family, But she was wrong. 

The awake Clementine would be sitting on her bed in a blue nightgown, Her curly hair reaching down to her back. Beside her, nestled amongst the pillows, lay her faithful companion—a worn, stuffed Strawberry Shortcake doll, its once vibrant hues faded with time but still cherished all the same. As half-sister Marie was on her side of the bed sleeping soundly since both of them slept in the same room. The snores from Marie filled the silence of the dark room, randomly. Clementine spoke waking Marie up from her sleep. She woke up sort of annoyed that she had woken up, She opened her eyes seeing the ten year old still awake. "Clemmy why are you saying my name? go to bed." She told her.

"I have to tell you something," Clementine's voice trembled slightly as she spoke, her gaze fixed on her half-sister Marie who raised an eyebrow in curiosity, silently encouraging her to continue. With a gulp, Clementine voiced her concerns, her words tinged with unease. "Do you think Everett is okay? Like ever since dinner. He's been acting weird." The worry showed on Clementine's face mirroring the unsettling changes she had noticed in their brother's demeanor.

"I'm pretty sure he's okay, You know how boys are." Marie tried her best to not keep Clementine paranoid about something that probably wasn't serious, But little did she know. Clementine still felt nervous though, As something popped up in her head which she said out loud. "What if it's Sarah Fier?" She asked. Marie stared at her sister for a bit and all of a sudden laughed in front of her face which left Clementine confused.

"Why are you laughing!?" Clementine's alarmed exclamation pierced the tension that had settled between them, her eyes wide with apprehension as she searched for reassurance from her sister. Marie took some time to calm down to the point she did the loudest sigh after that laugh. "Clementine. Sarah Fier isn't real, besides you never worried about her. So why are you so worried about it now? Those people that died and the person that killed them was probably crazy, strait jacket crazy." She said. "It's some urban legend to make children like you scared and to listen to their parents." Marie got up from her bed, Before making her way to the door.

As Marie made her way towards the door, Clementine hesitated for a moment before rising to follow, her footsteps echoing softly in the dimly lit hallway. The moon casted long shadows along the walls, Making their surroundings have an eerie glow as they went downstairs, Despite Marie's attempts to make Clementine not worry, Clementine couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at her insides, a sense that whispered of impending danger lurking just beyond their sight.