EPILOGUE

In the end, the wedding was only a week before their daughter was born. Roseanne wore an elegant black maternity dress that hugged her bump and still-slender frame to her knees. "Second time around, I didn't need white," she explained to a scandalised Anna.

"But you're the bride," Jisoo argued, with perfectly sound logic.

Roseanne laughed happily. "I know. But I like this dress. And it's perfect for the casual wedding we're having."

Jisoo crossed her arms and pursed her lips. "If you're sure..."

And Roseanne was. About everything. About the dress. The choice to have a small ceremony in the gardens of Lisa's villa, and most of all, her choice to pledge, again, to live the rest of her life with the woman who had held her heart from that first fateful moment.

As Roseanne looked back at the wedding photos on her phone, a sleeping newborn baby cradled in her arms, her smile was still firmly tacked in place.

"Buonasera," Lisa's smile was equally bright.

Roseanne looked up at Lisa, and felt a stab of envy when she saw that Lisa had showered. "You look refreshed," Roseanne said with mock hurt.

"Two days of labour, I needed it."

Roseanne glared at Lisa. "Oh, how hard that must have been for you."

Lisa laughed apologetically. "You were amazing."

"She is amazing," Roseanne corrected, dropping her eyes to their little baby. "Did you tell Anna?"

Lisa nodded, and sat gently on the edge of the bed. "She was thrilled. She sends her love, and says she will come to see little Lily as soon as you're up to visitors."

Roseanne nodded, and stroked their daughter's soft head. "I feel so lucky," Roseanne confided with a sigh. "After last time, I thought maybe it would never happen for me. For us." Roseanne shrugged her shoulders, and then froze, when baby Lily wriggled a little. She lowered her voice to a whisper. "I was so sure you and I were a disaster zone, and look at us now."

Liaa pressed a kiss to Roseanne's lips, then slipped a jewellery box out of hee shirt pocket. "I had this made for you."

Jane looked down at Lily. "You're going to have to open it for me."

Roseanne nodded and clicked the lid off. Roseanne gasped when she saw what lay within. "It's my engagement ring. From last time."

Lisa smiled, and pulled it from the box. "I had it remade as a pendant for a necklace." Lisa slipped it over Roseanne's head, and it fell just between her breasts. "I thought this way you could keep our first marriage close to your heart. And wear it with this one." Lisa fingered the diamond Roseanne always wore; the diamond that reminded Roseanne of the baby she'd lost.

Roseanne's eyes locked with Lisa's.

"I know it might seem foolish, but our first marriage is still a good memory for me. It is the reason we're here now. I don't want you to forget that time in our lives."

Tears sprung to Roseanne's eyes and she glared at Lisa with an imitation of hostility. "My hormones are all over the place. You can't be this sweet, Lisa!"

Lisa grinned. "I take it that means you like it?"

"Like it? I love it." Roseanne looked up at Lisa with total wonderment. "And I love you."

"And you are still my life, my soul, my universe and my all. For all time."

THE END