The Long-Awaited Home for Jia Jia

1

I went for a pre-marriage medical examination with my blind-date partner.

And the exam revealed a baby.

The wedding was off.

The matchmaker came to my house and scolded my mother.

"You said your daughter was a virgin, but which virgin has a two-month-old baby?"

"Your family has really ruined our reputation!"

"Don't come to me again. It's so unlucky!"

...

My mother was scolded severely.

And then I was scolded severely by my mother.

"Who's the father of the baby?"

"..." I didn't say anything.

"Chen Jia, you're 28, not 8. Are you still messing around? Do you have any brains?"

"Do you want to drive your mother to death?"

"Oh." I turned and went upstairs, locking the door behind me.

2

I lay in bed, recalling that my menstrual cycle was indeed three weeks overdue. Recently, I had also been feeling a bit off my food. My menstrual cycle has always been irregular, making it difficult to keep track, a result of staying up late frequently. I had assumed this was just another one of those times.

Never did I imagine that I was pregnant.

And the father of the child? It wasn't anyone else.

It was my ex-boyfriend from six years ago.

Two months ago, I attended a classmate reunion, and he arrived late, drunk. I was the one who escorted him home. When I got to his house, I practically carried him inside. When I left, I stumbled my way out. The taxi driver must have thought something was wrong with me, glancing at me in the rearview mirror the whole way, afraid to speak.

...

After several days of pondering at home, I decided to go to Gu Xiao's hospital. I queued, paid, underwent the necessary tests, and finally took the report to his department.

"Morning consultations are over, come back in the afternoon," he said without even looking up, dismissing me with a single sentence.

Perhaps sensing that I hadn't left, he suddenly raised his head and saw me. His gaze trembled, his pupils narrowing slightly.

He looked completely surprised, as if we had just met after a long separation.

Such a good actor, how could he mistake me for someone else at the classmate reunion?

"Chen Jia?" he began to say.

Before he could finish, I placed the report neatly in front of him.

"I'm pregnant, and the father is you," I said bluntly.

He glanced down at the report, his expression solemn. I sensed a hint of fear in him.

"What child takes six years to conceive?" he asked, tapping the report with his long fingers. "Have you lost your memory? We broke up six years ago."

His words left me speechless, my face flushed.

"You don't want to acknowledge it?" I asked him through gritted teeth.

He looked up at me, his expression unreadable.

"Chen Jia, regret should have its own appearance. How... do you think I'll be a scapegoat?"