scrounge

Ken wasn't the best player, but he still came to watch and interject in the game sometimes. But today was looking like a watch day.

He wasn't feeling like running around in the heat right now.

His eyes traveled from one end of the blacktop to the other, watching as his friends dribbled the ball between each other as they kept the lead throughout the whole game.

The game was nearing the peak, and he knew it as the cursing and grunting came out rapidly as the ball was passed between teammates in quick succession as feet slapped on the concrete.

"Are you Kentrell?"

He tried to focus on the game without glancing away for a second, but his intrigue took over. Before he could turn away, his friend scored, and he watched as they hopped around congratulating each other before shaking hands with the other team, too.

He clapped as they each came closer, grabbing their drawstring bags as they dabbed their sweat before putting on another shirt, sitting next to him as the cool air whipped around, landing against their skin, cooling them off.

He went to join in the conversation about the game and his friend's victory, but they were all facing him when he turned towards them,

"Are you Kentrell?"

He nodded

"Here?"

He looked down as she stuck a folded paper to him, waiting for him to grab it.

He took it from her, looking at her before looking at the paper and unfolding it.

As he read it, she also handed him a pen, blocking the words on the paper,

"I need an answer."

He was so confused, but he nodded, taking the pen as well.

Do you like me because I want you?

He smiled inwardly, keeping his face neutral. His friends watched on at the two,

Yes, I do like you.

He folded the paper along the creased lines, hooking the pen to the now-folded paper.

"Here."

He handed it to her.

"Thank you."

He waited until she was a bit aways away from him before smiling as he watched her walk away, but his smile instantly stopped when he saw her hand the paper to someone else, another girl who wasn't her. He quickly turned around before they could see him looking their way.

He lay against the bench beside his friends, wondering what it was.

"I thought it was for her."