Chapter One: Storytelling

The Mane Six and Spike were getting ready for the first Friendship Festival in the Kingdom of Canterlot with the help of their friends. But that's when the Storm King's forces invaded Canterlot and an army of monstrous Storm Guards invades the city. When a broken-horned unicorn named Tempest Shadow had used magical orbs that turned three of the princesses into obsidian statues. The Mane Six and Spike had managed to get away from the invasion and started traveling south to search for the "Queen of the Hippos." For quite some time, the Mane Six and Spike have travelled southwards through the desert when they came across a shady town called Klugetown. Capper had caught sight of the creatures trying to purchase them, but he came to their rescue and secretly brought them to his home without anyone from Verko's crew seeing them. (I'm one of Capper's fans). Capper let his new Equestrian friends rest up in his place till he could figure out what the "Queen of the Hippos" is and how to get them out of the shady town before Verko and his minions finds out about them.
As the six ponies and the young dragon explored all the surprising amount of trinkets and spoils of Capper's humble abode, while Capper is having a chat with the other ponies on his bed as the other four ponies chatted with him, (except Twilight and Spike) while Rarity was immediately looking through the humble abode.
Capper has many collections of treasures and art, and the fact that the pirate portrait took up most of the wall space in the windmill. To the white unicorn, everything was starting to make sense when it comes to Capper. This painting, his home, his intellect, all that he had shown to them reflected a need for the finer things in life. A need for beautiful, artistic, creative, worthwhile things. Rarity completely understood this feeling, because she would feel it everyday. That is why she creates beautiful clothes, crafts, and designs all the time.
She took one of the needles out of the curtain and carefully placed the beginning of the red thread through the hole of the needle. Without thinking, feeling in the zone of her sudden burst of creativity and generosity, Rarity used her magic to pull Capper over to her by his torn sleeve.
In the midst of it, Capper was startled by the sudden touch of generosity and Rarity's magic. "Woah, woah. Hey, hold up now." Before the he knew it, Rarity had already fixed up his sleeve as good as new. He then awed "Woah." He gazed at Rarity in confusion as she magically sewed on the two golden buttons she found earlier near the collars of his jacket.
"Here you go," Rarity explained with a smile. "I do apologize. If we were back home, I could have done something truly fabulous."
Capper gave her a brief, but confused look, before he spoke with suspicion coloring his tone. "Okay. What's the catch?"
"Oh, nothing," Rarity replied with some hint of a soft chuckle in her tone as Capper started to walk away from the unicorn, as if he was remembering something from his past. Then, she continued sincerely. "After all that you've done for us, consider it a thank you."
Capper had his back to Rarity, but this couldn't hide the fact that his ears pinned back with sadness. His head nodded down slightly and his eyes dropped to his feet. His soft tone he was showing has matched his body language. "Oh. Don't thank me... really." He sighed as he went to join the other four ponies, chuckling softly as Pinkie Pie cheered him up with her jokes and playful optimism.
But as Rarity continued exploring the abode, she came to a sudden stop when she saw a great oil painting was a portrait that looked brand-new, the colors and lines still sharp.
It was a small portrait of a silver and white female Abyssinian, staring up with curiosity and dignity, gazing out at the view of the backdrop. Behind her, a web of fiery lines crisscrossed the sky, like a beautiful constellation in the midst of the stars, with smaller falling stars in between the lines. But there was something in her bright blue eyes that you made you look twice. Something that made you think this Abyssinian truly loved the great painter.
Rarity hummed thoughtfully as she gazed at the beautiful portrait. Rarity looked back subtly to Capper, only for a brief moment. Her need to be a part of something truly beautiful... is embodied in every action she takes, every design she creates, and in everything she thinks and does. To be without some sense or appreciation for the beauty in the world would be like without air for Rarity. So, she could understand Capper's silent struggle for gorgeous and fabulous things. But she has a strong sense that there is something more than just Capper's silent struggle for gorgeous and fabulous things. Maybe this painting is based off the unknown silver and white female Abyssinian that reflects Capper's love towards the unknown silver and white female Abyssinian.
"Capper, darling," Rarity called out to Capper, who had fell silent with Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie. "Who is this silver Abyssinian?" Capper didn't answer her question for some reason, so Rarity added. "She's really stunning."
Capper walked towards Rarity, accompanied by the ponies and Spike when he spotted the painting of the unknown silver and white female Abyssinian. Capper had a way of looking that any tragic hero would die for. His face was full of such tortured longing that even the ponies wanted to wrap their hearts in furs to protect it.
"And who's she?" Applejack asked softly.
This couldn't hide the fact that his ears pinned back with heartbroken sadness. His head gazed down slightly and his eyes dropped to his feet. His new soft tone show matched his body language. "She's one of the greatest friends I've ever had. Her name is Shira Silverfeather. She had such soft, silver fur, and such brilliant blue eyes... It was like I was staring into pools of pure water! Shira never left me. She stood by my side through everything. I actually fell in love with her. I believed that we would get together. But then the truth came out." Capper's voice cracked with both love and sadness. "Verko wants me to repay a damage debt that was caused by a former companion of mine. But he found out about Shira. Rules can be broken and you or your friends can get punished." Warm, but silent tears were sliding the cat's face. "He was planning to get rid of her, but me and Flame managed to outsmart him. At nightfall, Flame took her to a traveling caravan." Capper closed his eyes, trying and failing to hide his tears. "Before she left, we hugged and she kissed me. That... That was the last time I've ever seen her."
Rarity recognized the heartbroken loneliness and emotional turmoil through many ponies, especially Granny Smith. She knew how grief stricken Granny Smith was about her husband and Applejack's parents whenever it was brought up by curiosity or by concern. But as Rarity gazed at Capper, she could see the raw emotions running through his bright green eyes. After hearing Capper's side of things, she couldn't help, but be marveled by his level of emotional maturity. He was angry at Verko, but did not take his frustrations out on him. When Capper spoke about Shira, she could see how much that forced choice weighted on him. He wished he hadn't done it because now he's all alone before he met them. Even with knowing the truth, Rarity didn't resent him for his choice. She even understood why Capper felt he should try his best to protect his beloved friend. Like Capper, Rarity wished things could have been different, but one can't change the past.
"How did you meet her?" Applejack asked curiously.
"Did you sweep her off her feet?" asked Fluttershy softly.
"Was it romantic?" Rarity asked eagerly.
Capper's eyes softened and smiled as they asked him their questions regarding Shira. "You could say that. It was a quite awhile ago..."