We Meet Again

Music - Vitamin String Quartet - Get Lucky (Daft Punk)

Florence's POV:

As I slipped out into the night, I felt someone had followed me. I hid behind a bush as I heard the door open once again. 

"Hello? Is anyone out here?" a voice called out. I stood still.

He was strangely familiar. He was the one who I had bumped into when I was disguised as Finneas. I had also seen him at Granville's party. He had run after me before. I hid behind a bush as well that night. 

The man sat down on a bench nearby, pulling out a small book and started to write all over whatever page it was opened to. Certainly he wouldn't leave any time soon.

I constructed a plan to look as unsuspicious as possible when returning back indoors as to not catch his attention.

 I took a step without realizing there was a pot beside my foot. "CLANG!" The pot hit the concrete stairs beside the bush. I cringed hoping it was not too loud.

"So you are out here," the same voice said, "What is your name?" I heard his footsteps approaching. I started to panic.

I attempted to circle around the bush before he saw me.

Struggling to get a sight of me he grunted, "I know you are there." We circled around the bush before he finally pulled the bush down to find me crouched down.

I immediately stood up.

"Good evening sir," I awkwardly said, "It seems that this bush is in an incomparable condition! I must find the gardener at once, well then sir, I bid you good night!"

"Wait a moment!" he caught my wrist while I had tried to scurry back inside, "I never received your name"

"And I never offered it," I shot back, in an attempt to end this odd conversation. 

A small smile and a scoff crept from his face.

"I will leave if you tell me your name," he negotiated with that grin still resting on his face.

"What use would you have for my name?" I tried avoiding answering his request

"I would like to know the name of the woman or possibly the man that has occupied my mind for the last few days," he replied

He had noticed my bandage that day in town. My reputation was hanging at the mercy of this man. 

"Only if you're willing to share your name first, my lord," I replied, trying to gain some kind of an upper hand.

All of a sudden, I heard the door open. I pushed the man down behind the bush in hopes of not being caught in a scandal.

In confusion he asked, "What are yo-"

"Shh," I snapped

"Where in the world have your brothers gone?" a voice said

"I do not know mama, may I go converse with Penelope now?" another voice asked.

"Wait, I know them," the man whispered, "I will get up and bring them inside, stay here until you hear the door close." He shot up like a bird popping out of its nest. 

"Mother! Sister? What are you doing out here? It is quite chilly. Let us go back inside," he ushered the two voices back to the festivities. 

I slowly rose from behind the bush ensuring no one saw or heard me. 

As I was about to return indoors, something caught my eye. On the bench the man had sat earlier, there now was the book in which he was so engaged with before.

The initials B.B. were engraved on the bottom right corner of the leather cover. I realized I still didn't know his name.

Then again, I wouldn't need to know if I just called him Bush Baron.

We returned home from the ball quite late causing mama to return to her chambers quickly. I sat on my bed with only a candle to light my room as I flipped through the book.

There in the pages lay sketches of various objects. They all seemed to be alive although it lay flat on a page.

Failed sketches of hands left me letting out little huffs of laughter. Perhaps the next time we met, I could teach him a thing or two.

After minutes of flipping through the pages, I saw the rest of the pages were filled with drawings of a woman. He had drawn me.

He had drawn all three times we had bumped into each other.

The first time when I was disguised as Finneas Jones. The hat and trousers all there.

Then the second when we were at Granville's party. My accessories and dark blue shawl all there.

Finally the last time at today's ball. My hair curled and my periwinkle gown all there.

I couldn't help but think of him. His blue eyes and his messy hair intrigued me. The image of him sitting on the bench had stained into my mind. I couldn't stop thinking about it until I got it out of my mind.

I started rummaging through my trunk, looking for my tools. I found my paints, canvas, and easel from deep within the trunk. I snuck into the kitchen for water and managed to sneak back up to my room without waking mama. I placed the easel in front of a chair in case of breaks.

I started painting with only the candle allowing my sight. 

I had fallen asleep in the chair. The candle was almost burned through and the sun had risen.

"My lady, it is morning, I am here to get you dressed," my maid called out. My fingers were covered in paint and my night gown decorated with drops and splashes of paint.

"Oh my! My lady! You took a bath last night! Do not tell me I must draw another!" she protested.

"Clara do not fuss, I am in no need for a bath. A wash cloth and a new night gown will do," I assured her. I yawned before I started taking off my dirtied night gown. 

Before heading to the dining room, I stopped by father's room. Still in bed and ill I felt sorry I had not tried to find a suitor last night. If he did not survive this illness, mother and I would be at the mercy of the bank.

My guilt started to become harsher than it had been yesterday.

Maybe the Bush Baron could possibly be useful.