Fascinating Discoveries

The beginning of the first year at Hogwarts very uneventful, as I had predicted, but not without the occasional mishaps in our classes. For starters, in our first potions class, the first years' introduction, Snape burst into the class as everyone turned to look at him, making his way to the front of the room. 

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art of potion making. However, for those select few..." Snape spoke as he turned to look over at me, where I gave him a soft smirk. "Who possess the predisposition... I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses." I already know how but go on. "I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper on death." Snape stated as he looked around the room, until his eyes landed on Harry, who was writing in his notebook.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention." Snape said, slightly raising his voice, as Hermione and I nudged Harry trying to get his attention. "Mr. Potter." Snape called out as he moved to stand in front of Harry. "Our newest celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered rot of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Snape asked as Hermione raised her hand, but Harry shook his head. 

"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" Snape asked as Hermione raised her hand again. "I don't know, sir." Harry replied. "And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Snape asked for a third time as Hermione still had her hand raised. Seriously girl, no one likes a know-it-all, at least an obvious one. "I don't know, sir." Harry replied again. Oh this is just too painful to watch. I raised my hand slightly as Snape called on me. "Mr. Odinson. Perhaps you can answer?"

"First... You'd brew a sleeping potions so powerful it is known as the draught of the Living Death. Second... a bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. And third... monkshood and wolfsbane are the same plant that go by the name of aconite." My answers seemed to please Snape as he had a smile of contentment. "Nicely done, Loki. 10 points to Slytherin." Snape said as the other Slytherin students smiled. "Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything... is it, Mr. Potter?" Snape asked cynically. Harry and Hermione turned to me as I shrugged. After that little interaction, the rest of class went smoothly. Though Snape clearly had a dislike for Harry and would take it upon himself to blame Harry for even the slightest mishap.

During lunch Harry was reading the Daily Prophet which mentioned about a break-in at Gringotts, but nothing was stolen. More like what the thief was planning to steal had already been taken from the vault. Suspicious.

During my free period, I took the opportunity to visit Minerva and help her grade some papers. "So how are you fairing in your classes?" The older witch asked as I flipped through the piles of parchment. "They're fairing well. High marks in all classes. Even in potions. Though He can be a bit harsh when it comes to Potter." I stated, stealthily altering Malfoy's answers into the wrong ones, making Minerva give him low marks. "I've also heard rumors about someone causing chaos, placing Filch in a tizzy" Minerva said side-eyeing me.

"That's unfortunate. Considering how good of a person Filch is." My sarcasm being quite obvious, Minerva had grown accustomed to my sarcasm, as I did hers. "It would be a shame if the perpetrator were caught. The punishment would be great." She said eyeing me again. "Indeed it would be a shame." We gave each other a look before smiling to each other knowingly. "Besides what's wrong with a few fun pranks and some harmless mischief."

"And how is your relationship with Potter?"

"It's going quite we for the most part. Nothing—" But before I could finish my statement, we noticed a student flying on a broomstick at high speed towards our window, only for them to catch something before stopping right in front of us. The student in question was none other that Potter himself. "-I can't handle." I finished my statement as Minerva walked over to the window just as Harry left. Minerva quickly made her way out her office with me close behind. Once outside we watched as Harry was congratulated by his classmates.