CH.4 Hey There, Handsome

{Cristiano}

Marcelo giggled like a little girl at his phone. Every time he would get a message he would bob his head back and laugh even louder that before. I look at him suspiciously then shake my head.

"Who's that?" I walk over to him trying to see what was so funny.

"Just a friend" He says not looking away from the phone. I sit next to him and watch the guys finish up a lap.

"You coming to warm up or you just gonna sit there all day?" I say as I stretch my leg. I watch him with a huge smile on his face as he twiddles his fingers as he came up with the perfect response.

"Whatever man" I shake my head and stand up. I tighten up my cleat and I see him drop his hands as his smile fades. It seemed like a bit of my misery rubbed off on him.

"Sorry dude" he gets up and starts stretching his arms, "this girl is just funny as hell."

My ears perk up, "oh a girl huh?" I nudge him trying to better the situation but he shakes his head.

"Nah not like that, she like a homie," he slaps my arm and looks out at the field. 

"Oh shit" he's taken aback. He waves at someone and the smile that was once plastered on his face returns, "there she is!"

I look in the same direction he was looking and see some of my team mates with what seems to be a group of interviewers. 

"Is that the program thing from last month?" I ask Marcelo as he starts walking in their direction.

"Yeah, yeah but you didn't wanna participate remember" he says without looking at me then he turns, "gotta go man!" He takes off towards the group. 

He was right. I wanted to stay as far away from that as possible. I watch him arrive and he does a quick handshake with some girl and to be honest he was right; they joked around like two dudes at a party. 

I was about to go back to doing my thing when I see her lift him up. She carried him like he was as light as a feather and everyone in the group watched in amusement . She put him down an bowed down like a man as he joked around and acted like a lady. They laughed it off and he set his arm around her shoulders as it seemed they were getting serious now. 

I snapped back as I realized that I was staring but I was also smiling, genuinely. I hadn't done that in a while.

I sigh and get back to training. I ocassionally find myself looking back at what they were doing. It's like I wanted some on that joy to rub off on me. I mean really, what were they doing that was so great?

______

"Open up big guy"

I jump at the voice in the intercom from outside the gates of my home. I lift my head from the couch confused. I groan but I get up as I realized who it was. It wasn't often that he visited but today I just felt like letting him in. 

I hold the button to open the gates and I see his car pull in from the window.

I walk toward the stairs to put on something decent. I move slowly trying to avoid the soreness of my muscles.

By the time I'm at the top I hear Marcelo's voice erupt across the house

"Yo Cris!"

"-Shh!" I hush.

"Oh shi-sorry...." He hold a finger to his lips signalling that he gets it, "I forgot," he whipers. 

"What's up man?" I say from the end of the stairs no longer being able to see him.