7 - dorothea

"You got shiny friends since you left town.
A tiny screen's the only place I see you now."
——————————

Monday morning comes, and you're dreading returning to work. In just two days, you've gotten used to living with Louis. You are both terribly miserable, and selfishly you're glad you're not the only one in a rough place. Louis makes everything easier, and he fills silences that you usually fill with overthinking. You're glad you don't have to spend downtime alone.

"Can you imagine being rich enough to be able to take a last minute trip to the Bahamas?" Louis says, a toothbrush hanging out of the side of his mouth.

You roll your eyes.

"Don't get me wrong, Y/N, our apartment is luxurious, but I don't see white sand beaches, 90° weather, and dolphins. And I love dolphins," he spits his toothpaste into the kitchen sink.

"I'll buy you a one way ticket to the Bahamas if you stop talking about it!" You say.

"Really?" Louis says excitedly.

You nod.

"Wait, one way ticket? Rude," Louis playfully shoves you into the wall as he passes you going down the hallway back to his room.

In the kitchen, you pour yourself a glass of apple juice and grab a granola bar out of the pantry.

You're not ready to face Emily again. If you weren't before your weekend off, you definitely aren't now. You knew that Emily and Nolan were going out, just like everyone else. But you never knew they were serious enough to go on vacations together. That's a step you never imagined them taking. What's next? A proposal?

Louis offers to drive to set. You usually walk or jog depending on how much time you have to spare, but you're not gonna pass up the ride.

"What are people gonna think when they see us coming to work together now? Are they gonna think we're a thing?" Louis asked worriedly.

"You might've had to come out to your mum, but you don't have to for anyone else. You make it pretty obvious," you say lightly, "Besides, a lot of people know I don't swing that way either. No one will suspect us to be an item. I promise," you reply. And this is all Louis needs to hear to calm down.

You get to set an hour before Emily's shift starts, so you decide to spend the time cleaning up and reorganizing her dressing room.

You clean and straighten all of the makeup brushes and pallets, making sure they're all perfectly lined up. Then, you move to the clothing rack. You love Emily, but when she puts things away, it's quickly and messily. Especially lately when she's been in such a rush to spend time with Nolan. You pick up a script off the counter and organize each outfit by scene, making sure all of their parts are together and in order of when they're needed.

You take a step back, admiring your work when you're finished.

"Wow, it looks great in here."

You spin around, almost flat into the chest of Emily Blunt.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Emily says, her cheeks flushed a pale pink.

"Don't worry about it," you force a smile. "How was your vacation?"

Emily sighs and plops into her chair. You boost yourself up onto the countertop next to her, knowing you have plenty of time until her call.

"It got the publicity I was looking for, so that's good," Emily shrugs.

"Publicity?" You say, confused.

"Forget it, I shouldn't have said anything."

"So your relationship is just a press magnet? Because I did not keep my distance from you for something that isn't real. Is that all the two of you are?"

"No! Well, yes," Emily starts, "that's what it was at the beginning, but not anymore. I like Nolan. I didn't use to, but now I do. I really do!"

"Then how come your trip was only good for publicity?"

Emily sighs, "It's complicated."

"Well, now you owe me that explanation."

"It just seems that now that I'm finally starting to fall for him, he's getting bored of me. And maybe that's bad karma for going out with someone I never had feelings for in the first place."

"That's not true. You never meant to hurt him," you try to help her make sense of it all.

"And it's not like I'm the only ill-intentioned person in the relationship. He can't even begin to pretend that he only wanted me at the beginning for... you know."

You swallow the lump in your throat. Of course they have, so why does it hurt so much hearing it out loud?

"I like him a lot, Y/N, but I have nothing new to make him stay around. I don't want to lose him. He's so charming and protective and good."

You nod, trying not to show how much you hate hearing her talk about him. "What went wrong to make you think his feelings changed?"

Emily shakes her head. "He doesn't want to talk to me about me, or himself. He doesn't want to do anything fun that isn't sex. And he doesn't even want to do that as often anymore. Nolan just seemed uninterested."

"When are you two going out again?" You ask.

"Tonight, actually. There's a party over in Beverly Hills."

"There you go! See how it goes tonight and then you—"

Emily gasps. "You should come!" She exclaims.

"What?"

"I get to bring a plus one," she explains.

"And wouldn't that be Nolan?" You ask.

"No, he already got invited. Besides, it would be a waste of an invitation if you didn't," Emily claps excitedly.

"I can't," you say, "I'm a nobody. I don't belong at an exclusive party."

"Sure you do! Come on, Y/N, it'll be fun!" Emily stands up and takes your hands in hers.

"You don't have any other friends you'd rather bring along?" You ask, trying to come up with any other excuse to avoid embarrassing yourself in front of Hollywood's best.

"Better than you? Absolutely not!" She squeezes your hands.

"Alright," you finally say.

Emily squeals with excitement, practically jumping in the air. She engulfs you in a quick hug. Before you can wrap your arms around her, she pulls away. 

"But I haven't anything to wear."

Emily takes your shoulders in her hands. "Come over after work, and we'll get you into something perfect."

——————————
"And if you're ever tired of being known for who you know, you know, you'll always know me."