Consequences 2.0

People: Lando Norris, Jon Malvern

Ages: Lando Norris (20), Jon Malvern (29)

- POV Lando -

I placed the weights down on the rack, taking some time to try to compose myself. "Alright mate, only one exercise left, then we're done for today", Jon encouraged me. I internally groaned as he walked towards the treadmill. I absolutely despised treadmill exercises. Jon just chuckled at my obvious unamused expression. I stepped onto the treadmill and Jon set a steady jogging pace for me to warm up with. Gradually, Jon turned the pace up until I was sprinting.

I was fine with it at first, but the longer it went on, the more I started to struggle. My breathing was erratic, I could feel my heart hammering in my , and I felt dizzy and lightheaded. "Keep going like this, it's looking good. Keep an eye on your breathing", Jon tells me. I tried to follow Jon's instructions, but it seemed I had no control over my breathing. I knew this wasn't I didn't want to tell Jon about it. I knew full well what the probable cause was for this; I hadn't been eating well. A few weeks ago, Jon gave me a reprimand about eating and sleeping enough, but a few days ago, I noticed I had gained weight. This had led to me falling back into old habits and skipping meals again.

"Lando, you there?". I was startled by Jon snapping his fingers in front of me, trying to get my attention. "Sorry, just thinking", I muttered. I still tried to hide my unease, but it was getting harder as I was now hyperventilating. "Lando, keep an eye on your breathing. Do I need to dial down the exercise a bit?", Jon asked me, his face contorted into a worried frown. "No no no, I'm fine", I lied, still pushing to keep up with the pace of the treadmill. Then, another wave of dizziness hit me, much more forcefully this time, and my vision turned to black.

- POV Jon -

Lando was staring into the distance, his gaze empty and I immediately got a feeling that something was wrong. "Lando, you there?", I asked carefully, snapping my fingers in front of his eyes. "Sorry, just thinking", Lando apologized, but something in the way he was hyperventilating and trembling didn't sit right with me. "Lando, keep an eye on your breathing. Do I need to dial down the exercise a bit?", I suggested. I didn't care about his progress anymore, right now all I was worried about was his health. Lando tried to convince me he was fine, but I didn't believe him for a second.

Just when I moved to lower the speed of the treadmill, I saw Lando's body go limp in my peripheral vision. I hurried to catch him and pressed the emergency stop button, Lando out cold in my arms. I laid him down on the ground in recovery position and crouched down next to him, making sure to support his head. I placed 2 fingers on the inside of Lando's wrist and quickly felt a pulse. It was fast, but that happens often after exercise, so that wasn't my main concern at the moment. My eyes moved to his chest to watch his breathing, which was fast as well, but not alarmingly so.

I felt my own hands shaking slightly from the adrenaline of the situation, but I knew I had to stay calm for Lando's sake. I checked his body for injuries, running my hands down his chest and stomach, freezing when I could feel his ribs sticking out on his sides. I felt my breath stop for a moment and I looked at him, running a hand through his curls. "Oh buddy, why are you doing this to yourself?", I whispered. I kept checking his vitals, making sure he was still doing okay.

After a few more minutes, the younger boy started to stir, letting out a faint groan. "Shhh, it's alright. I'm here buddy, I'm here, you're okay", I told him, making sure to keep my voice close to a whisper as to not cause him a headache. He slowly opened his eyes, finally making eye contact with me. "There we go. Relax, I've got you". Lando's body seemed to be oozing tension, but this seemed to fade little by little with my words. "How are you feeling?", I asked him, caressing his hair once again. "Dizzy, lightheaded, tired, have a headache", he summed up for me. I nodded in acknowledgment and checked his breathing and pulse again, which seemed to have both slowed down significantly.

"Do you think you can sit up?". Lando seemed to think for a second before he nodded, so I put a hand under his armpits and helped him up. "Did I hit my head?", Lando asked as soon as he was sat down on one of the benches in the gym. "No, I managed to catch you just in time", I smiled gently at him. Lando smiled back, though it didn't seem genuine. I offered him a bottle of water, which he downed greedily. I took a deep breath before I spoke up, "Lando, we need to talk", I told him as I crouched down in front of the bench, my hands on his knees. "About what?", he asked timidly, but by the way he was avoiding eye contact, I could tell he already knew.

"Jon , I can explain", he told me. "I haven't been working as hard as I was, and I've been sleeping longer. That's a good thing, right?". "It is, and I'm glad that's getting better, but I'm still very worried about you. You need to eat, Lando. You can't function without proper nutrition". "I can. I function perfectly fine without it", he reasoned, but I scoffed. "Do I need to remind you what just happened? When you faint, it's never for no reason. It's your body trying to tell you something". Lando's eyes suddenly started to and my heart ached at the sight. "Woah, hey, it's okay buddy. Come here", I told him, opening my arms. He seemed reluctant to actually give into it, but when I offered a hug, he practically fell into my arms.

I rubbed his back and held him protectively in my arms. "What's wrong Lando? Talk to me", I encouraged him, stepping back slightly but still keeping my hands on his shoulders. "I uh...I was doing well with eating and everything. But uh...before last weeks race, I noticed I gained weight". "Buddy, that. I was immediately cut off by him once again. "I know it's disappointing and I should've not eaten so much, but I promise I don't eat that much anymore. I promise I'm trying to lose the weight again. I'm sorry for letting you down and being so. This time it was my turn to cut off his rambling. "Lando, look at me".

Big, watery, green eyes met mine and I squeezed his shoulders. "Lando, who was the one that forced you to eat last time?", I asked him. "You". "Yes, it was me. Then why would I be disappointed in you for eating a bit more and maybe gaining some pounds. Lando, I need you to eat. I'm proud of you for eating and gaining a bit of weight. You're not at all letting me down, you're making me so proud. fucking proud. I need you to eat for me. No matter how much weight you gain or how much you hate me for it, you need to. I'll force feed you if I have to".

"Really? You're...proud of me?", his voice quivered slightly as he asked me that. "Yes buddy, so proud. You feel like a brother to me, and I need my little brother to be okay and kept safe. So, will you eat? For me?". Lando nodded, eyes still downcast. "Let's get you some food then, yeah?". I got up, got the food I had packed for myself: a poke bowl, and offered it to him. "But that's your lunch. I can't just take that", he immediately protested. "Don't worry, I'll get myself something from the canteen later. You just eat, yeah? You need this more than me right now".

Lando started to eat the bowl, seemingly enjoying it, but still not the energetic and bubbly guy he usually was. After he finished the bowl, he looked at me, an uncertain expression etched on his face. "What's wrong bud?", I asked him, looking into his deep green eyes. "I uh...could you...could we...no, whatever". "Lando, remember, there are no stupid questions. Ask me anything and I'll answer as truthfully as possible". "Well, that hug felt really nice. I was wondering if I could uh...maybe get another one?", he asked, staring down at his feet.

I smiled and immediately pulled him into my chest, holding him and rocking us slightly to ground him. Lando hummed contently and tightened his grip around my waist, laying his head on my shoulder. "There we go. Just relax for me". I could almost feel the tension physically leaving his body as he slumped against mine. I pulled him closer and sat down on the floor, his body safely in my arms. Then, I heard him talk, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. "What was that, buddy?". "Why do you care, Jon? Why do you care so much about me?".

I felt a surge of sadness as Lando spoke these words with so much hurt in his voice. "Why wouldn't I? You're sweet, hard-working, passionate, funny, talented, caring and above all, an amazing friend, Lando. I know you don't see it like this yourself, but I'll keep repeating it until you believe me". I can feel Lando clinging onto me even more tightly, crying into my shoulder. I just rub his back and gently shush him, caressing his hair gently as his tears slowly dried up.

Sometimes all you need is a hug