Chapter Seven

Marilyn breathed in and out multiple times. There was no way she could organize this many people.
She had called for a meeting with the workers so that she could get familiar with them, but now over 70 domestic helps crowded the large hallway. Realizing she might need a mic or something, she cleared her throat.

Everywhere went silent immediately.

"Miss, they could group themselves, is that okay?" An homely looking woman; who had greeted her at the door yesterday spoke.

"That would be lovely "She said, feeling relieved.

In less than five minutes; gardeners gathered on one end, the kitchen staff on another, lawn staff, butlers, table attendants, maids, etc were all grouped.

According to their choices, Marilyn selected delegates from each group, who will supervise and report to her. She also got to know the names of each of them, and hoped she'll be able to keep them in her lousy memory.

In a short while, everyone was up and moving. And Marilyn was able to go back to her quarters to start organizing her own end.

In the next few days that followed, she never caught a glimpse of Donald Grey. He was off to the office before she woke up, and came back hours after she went to bed.
Nevertheless, the man was a constant thought on her mind for some reason.

Alice called most times to check on her. And to give her updates concerning her fears. Which mostly consisted of; "There's not a sign of the flea bag anyway, that scum is six feet under and even if he does show up, I'm sending him back to hell!"

Soon, Marilyn actually managed to believe and tried her best to live as comfortably as she could. Danny was her ray of sunshine, despite his striking resemblance to her greatest fear, all she could do was love her son wholeheartedly and try her very best to give him the happy home she could provide.

Danny was already friends with the cooks and most of the gardeners, as he was always interested in plants and nature. The thought filled her with joy. She always wondered how she was able to birth such a boy, who's heart was as tender as a dove.

Coming out of her room, she fumbled with the lock, but heard rapid footsteps coming towards her.

"Mom! Mom!! Guess who's here!" Danny said, running up to her, the grin on his face like the chercheur cat.

"Stop running like that!" She snapped. "Who got you so excited??"

"It's Mr Donald, he just came home, and he got me treats and candies from a fancy place." Danny said, raising up a pretty red goody bag she just noticed.

"Did you say your thanks?" She asked, feeling fluttered.

"I almost kissed his feet." Danny said, almost bursting with excitement.

"Now, don't you think that would've been a tad too dramatic?" A rich voice said, raising her head, Marilyn saw Donald Grey walking towards them in all his glory. He looked breathtaking. Even Danny's face had gone red.

"Oh..I... thanks once again sir."Danny said, then ran away from them, down the corridor.

Now she was alone...with him.

"You shouldn't have, I put him on a diet." She said, suddenly aware that she was still putting on her sleep wear, which consisted on a grey long flimsy gown, and large fluffy fur slippers.

"Everyone likes a cheat." He said, his blue eyes slowing taking in her face, as he took a step closer to her.

The air crackled between them, thick with an unspoken desire. Marilyn, heart hammering a frantic rhythm against her ribs, fumbled with her key once again. The corridor light glinted off Donald's gold curls, as he reached out to help her.

"Wait," Donald's voice, a husky murmur, sent shivers down her spine. He reached out, a single finger brushing a stray curl from her cheek. His touch was electric, sending a jolt through her.

Marilyn met his gaze, her breath catching in her throat. His bright blue eyes, usually sparkling with mischief, were now smoldering with something far deeper. A slow, knowing smile played on his lips, a silent question hanging in the air.

Suddenly, the key felt impossibly heavy in her hand. He gently took it from her palm. All she could see was Donald, his hand hovering tantalizingly close.

"Can I," Donald started, his voice barely a whisper, "can I kiss you?"

Marilyn's lips parted slightly, a strangled sound escaping her throat. Her mind, usually full of witty retorts, was a blank canvas. All she craved was the feel of his lips on hers, a confirmation of the spark they both felt.

As if sensing her unspoken answer, Donald dipped his head closer.  The space between them evaporated. His breath, warm and minty, tickled her lips. Marilyn closed her eyes, anticipation a tight coil in her stomach.

Just then, the sound of heels clacking on the tiled floors reached their ears. Both Marilyn and Donald flinched, pulled back from the precipice. The sound of someone approaching filled the silence.

Disappointment washed over Marilyn, a bitter aftertaste to the electric moment. A helpless smile tugged at her lips.

"The door..." she murmured, stepping away from him.

Donald chuckled, the tension easing a fraction. "Let me have that" he said.

With a final lingering look, Marilyn stepped back. Donald unlocked the door, the thrill of the almost-kiss lingering on his skin like a phantom touch.

She literally dived into her room, shutting the door behind her.

*******
Please vote❤️💅🏽

Ps: I put up an AI generated picture of Donald grey! Rate that cuteness🥵