chapter 14: New start

The halls of UA high school had produced many amazing heroes. It was the dream of many to go there, though the chances of gaining one of those coveted seats was very small. It was where All Might had learned to be a hero, as well as many others. Izuku had always dreamed of coming here, following in the footsteps of his father and siblings.

And now he was, though not yet as a student.

Izuku followed behind Nezu through the main building of the school. The principal had been delighted that Izuku accepted his protection under HARA. All that remained was having their trusted police official sign off that Nezu had taken him into his care and everything would be official.

“Tsukauchi will be meeting us in my office. We shouldn’t be disturbed by anyone as we will no doubt have to explain everything to him,” Nezu said.

Tsukauchi was a close friend of Toshinori’s, though his principles as a police officer were incredibly strong. He also had a lie detector quirk so he would know Izuku was telling him the truth. There was a reason so many heroes trusted him.

Classes were in session so they didn’t run into anyone, as they reached Nezu’s office. The office itself was large and sparsely decorated, though what decorations there were were tasteful and spoke of Nezu’s character. Lining the two walls either side of the door were low bookshelves filled to the brim. On top of the shelves were a few 3D puzzles and a china tea set. The wall behind Nezu’s large desk was a large floor to ceiling window, looking out over UA’s campus.

Izuku took a seat on one of the sofas opposite the desk while Nezu brewed some tea. He couldn’t help letting his Sight stretch out, taking in the forms of the various students and teachers in the building. Somewhere here were Haru and Mizuki. It was odd, being so close to his siblings but still so far away. It was daunting, but Izuku kept moving forward. Now wasn’t the time to bring up that pain, though part of him wondered if he’d ever be ready to face them.

“The detective is on his way,” Nezu said.

Curious, Izuku tried finding him with his Sight. It was difficult since he hadn’t Seen Tsukauchi before so didn’t know what to loko for. It was only when he sensed somebody approaching the office that he honed in on them.

“He’s at the end of the corridor.”

Nezu grinned, not questioning how Izuku knew that. He pressed a button on his desk as Tsukauchi raised a hand to knock. He felt a ripple of exasperation from the man before he stepped inside.

That feeling quickly turned to shock when he stopped Izuku sitting in front of the principals desk.

“Izuku?”

Very quickly, the detectives feelings swirled and roiled. Shock gave way to confusion, to anger, sadness, betrayal, disbelief. It was a mess to sort through but Izuku said nothing as Tsukauchi gaped like a fish.

“Please close the door. We have sensitive matters to discuss,” Nezu said, tone serious.

It served to snap the man out of it. He shut the door and took a seat next to Izuku, still not quite believing what he was seeing.

“Thank you for coming so quickly detective. You are here as the trusted police official on my enactment of the Heroic Abuse Recovery Act, here to confirm that I have taken the individual into my care,” Nezu said.

“Of course but, Nezu this is Izuku Midoriya,” Tsukauchi said.

“I will not confirm or deny if this is the case, and I would prefer it if you would refer to my charge by the name he has selected,” Nezu slid the document across the table.