Chapter 5

The soft rays of sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room as Angélique sprawled out on Lando's bed, her frustration palpable in the air. She let out a heavy sigh, running a hand through her tousled chestnut locks, her hair a wild cascade of waves framing her face.

"I swear, Eduardo is going to be the death of me," she grumbled, her voice tinged with exasperation as she glared at her phone. "Making me play girlfriend to Verstappen? What kind of madness is that?"

Lando chuckled from his spot at the desk, a playful glint in his blue eyes. "Hey, at least you get to spend some quality time with your favorite person in the world," he teased, his tone dripping with sarcasm as he tossed a pillow in her direction.

The singer rolled her eyes, though there was a hint of amusement in her voice. "Oh, joy," she replied dryly, catching the pillow and tossing it back at him. "I can hardly contain my excitement."

She shifted on the bed, adjusting her position to get more comfortable in her cozy attire. She wore a pair of gray joggers that hung loosely on her frame, paired with a soft white top. Despite her annoyance, she couldn't deny the comfort of her outfit, the soft fabric providing a small measure of solace in the midst of her frustration.

"I still can't believe I agreed to this," she continued, her tone laced with disbelief. "I mean, what was I thinking?" Lando shrugged, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips. "I think you were thinking about the paycheck," he replied with a grin. "And hey, who can blame you? We've all got bills to pay."

The brunette eyes widened in horror as her friend's words sank in. "The paycheck!" she exclaimed, bolting upright from the bed with a gasp. "I didn't even think to ask about getting paid for this!"

Lando burst into laughter at her panicked reaction, doubling over with amusement as he struggled to catch his breath. "Oh, Angie," he managed to say between fits of laughter, wiping tears of mirth from his eyes. "You really are something else."

She groaned in frustration, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment at her oversight. "This is serious, Lando!" she protested, though there was a hint of amusement in her voice despite her annoyance. "I can't believe I forgot to negotiate my fee."

Lando finally managed to compose himself, though a mischievous twinkle still lingered in his hazel eyes. "Well, now you know for next time," he replied with a grin. "Always read the fine print before you agree to anything."

Angélique groaned louder, frustration evident in every line of her body as she threw the pillow at Lando's face with a theatrical flourish. "Oh, shut up, Lando," she muttered, though there was a playful glint in her green eyes as she tried to suppress a smile.

Lando laughed, catching the pillow before it could hit him square in the face. "Alright, alright," he conceded, grinning mischievously as he leaned back against the headboard. "I'll stop teasing you... for now."

Before she could answer him, Lando's phone began to ring, interrupting their banter with a shrill tone. He glanced down at the caller ID and his grin widened as he saw the name displayed on the screen. "Well, speak of the devil," he remarked with a chuckle, raising an eyebrow at Angélique. "It's Max's calling."

The musician rolled her eyes at the mention of Max's name, her irritation bubbling to the surface once again. "Great," she muttered sarcastically, crossing her arms over her chest. "Just what I needed." Lando chuckled at her reaction, shooting her a knowing look before answering the call. "Hey, Max," he greeted casually, his tone relaxed as he held the phone to his ear. "What's up?"

As Max's voice reverberated through the phone, his annoyance was palpable even from a distance. "Is Leclerc with you?" he demanded, his tone sharp and impatient. Angélique's heart sank as she realized she had forgotten about their meeting at the front of the hotel, her face paling at the realization.