Chapter 5

Jane

I couldn't shake off the words Dylan said about charm being reserved for one. I thought about it, trying to understand the layers beneath his confident demeanour. I was too engrossed in my thoughts to even wait for him today. Lost in my thoughts, I nearly collided with a passing car at the gate. A sudden grip on my elbow startled me, and I turned to find Victor, the persistent suitor who had long sought to make me his girlfriend. I had always tried to avoid him, never wandering alone in school.

"Careful, baby. What's on your mind?" Victor's grip tightened, and I tried to free myself. "Leave me! I said, Leave me."

"Are you in a hurry? Stay here and talk to your boyfriend, baby."

"Let go, or—"

"Or what, huh? Your bodyguard isn't here right now. He left already. So he won't—"

"But his friends are still around." Jack intervened, delivering a swift kick that sent Victor crashing to the ground. Caleb and Jordan arrived to assist, escorting Victor to the principal's office, and what was most surprising to me was that he left, constantly looking at me and smiling like an idiot, which scared me.

"Are you okay, Jane?" Jack inquired, and I nodded, too shaken to utter a word. Victor's face coming to mind again and again. "Come on! I'll drop you off."

"No, I'll manage," I replied abruptly.

"It's okay. Think of me as Dylan's little brother. When he's not around, I'll be your bodyguard."

"I'm not a kid, okay? I don't need a bodyguard," I playfully retorted, and we both chuckled.

"Thanks," I uttered, and it seemed like the tenth time I had said it. Jack looked at me for a moment, said nothing, and started smiling while shaking his head. He jumped into his red truck, the engine roaring to life as he drove out of the parking lot.

"Can I ask why you're smiling like that?"

"Because Dylan was right about you."

"About me?"

"Yes, you're too nice. 'Thank you' and 'sorry' are always on your tongue, but you're also brave and bold."

"Can you explain how I'm brave and bold? And he talks about me?"

"Yeah, you deal with situations calmly and sassily, and yes, he does talk about you. In fact, all the ti—" Jack paused for a moment. "I mean, about how you help him with studies and cheer him up while he's playing basketball," he finished. I scrutinized him for a second while he avoided eye contact, and after some time, I said, "Yeah, why would I not? He's my friend."

"Yeah," Jack agreed with a nod.

"So, any plans for the weekend?" I asked.

"Uhm, nothing special," Jack replied, a hint of blush coloring his cheeks, looking at his phone.

"A date?" I teased as I saw a notification popped on his phone.

"Yes," he admitted.

"Who's the girl?" I inquired with a playful nudge.

"Dylan's sister," Jack confessed. I raised an eyebrow.

"What? Is he aware of this?"

"No."

"Why not? Tell him." I suggested.

"I can't. He's very protective of his sister." His tone serious.

"Exactly. He's protective, not possessive." I said defending him.

"But he could turn into a possessive guy when it comes to his loved ones, and after that incident, he's more concerned for his sister."

"Which incident?" I pressed, and my curiosity piqued. He hesitated for a moment, contemplating whether to share the story. Finally, he began speaking.