Just Don't

2023
A little after Endgame (but different)
3rd P.O.V

*DING*

Bucky checks his phone, noticing it's Sam who texted me. He shifts to sit more comfortably on my couch as he checks.

Sam|So, don't get mad|7:59 PM

Bucky|What did you do?|7:59 PM

Sam|You'll see|8:00 PM
He should be at your door any moment now|8:00 PM

Bucky|What do you mean by 'he'?|8:00 PM
Who's 'he'?|8:00 PM

Sam|You'll find out soon|8:00 PM

Bucky hears footsteps, realizing they sound vaguely familiar. The footsteps are followed by a knock at my door.

Bucky gets up and walks over to the door to open it. A man is at the door.

". . . Bucky?"

Bucky freezes, staring at the man in shock. The man takes a step forward but stops when Bucky steps back. A couple of minutes pass before he speaks, still trying to process.

"You look. . . younger. . . Steve."

"Yeah. I know. Listen, Bucky-"

Once Bucky's over the shock, he slams the door shut.

"Bucky, please," Steve begs.

"Go away," Bucky tells him.

Bucky hears Steve sigh and then hears his footsteps departing. He relaxes a little, but then hear a door open and shut.

He groans and slides to the floor, tears brimming his eyes.

Then he takes a deep breath and wipes the tears away. He pulls his phone out and texts Sam.

Bucky|Really?|8:04 PM

Sam|I had to|8:04 PM

Bucky|Fuck you. And don't talk to me. For now, at least|8:04 PM

Sam|Alright. I understand|8:04 PM

Bucky drops his phone and curls up into a ball, quietly sobbing. All those feelings he had bottled up before coming back in full force.

He can hear Steve's footsteps. He's pacing. He's nervous and worried. It's easy to tell.

Bucky sighs and leans his head back, wondering how Steve got back in the first place. With a small yawn, Bucky gets up, grabs his phone, and gets dressed for bed.

At this time, it would be considered early for most. But it usually takes a couple of hours, if not more, for Bucky to fall asleep.

He turns on the TV, nothing too interesting on there. Bucky changes the channel by accident and end up on the news. Video footage of someone.

Video footage of Steve. He's panicked, a nervous wreck. Nothing like the way he looked when he appeared at my door.

"A few days ago, Captain America had reappe-"

Bucky listens for a little longer, just watching. Steve looks so. . .

Lost.

Nothing like he'd usually look. He's always so confident and sure of himself.

The footage, however, suggests he's not in his right mind. Everyone keeps asking him questions. "Where did you go? Why give your shield away? Are you aware of the rumors?"

And he's ignoring them, just repeating a question of his own.

"Where's my Bucky?"

Bucky watches for a moment longer, taking in the panic in Steve's eyes. But despite obviously having his emotions all over the place, he takes care to be gentle and polite when trying to move through the crowd that had gathered around him.

Then Bucky switches to another channel, not wanting to see or hear another second of it. He can't.

"Hey, Bucky. Where's my Bucky? Bucky, please!"

He just can't.

.

.

.

The next morning, Bucky wakes up, hearing the TV. Thankfully, no nightmares.

He gets up, gets dressed, and walks out of his apartment.

"Bucky!"

Bucky inhales deeply before turning to look at Steve.

"Yes? Do not touch me," Bucky tell him when he tries to step closer.

Steve looks a little hurt but nods and steps away.

"I'm sorry, talking to you would've been the first thing I did if I knew where to find you. But I just need you to know I-i made a mistake."

"A mistake?"

"Yes. I never meant to stay in the past and abandon everyone. I'd never do that on purpose. Not to you."

Steve's words confuse him. Bucky thought he was still in love with Peggy.

"So, you didn't go to Peggy?"

". . . I did. I had a date. It went well. But that didn't mean I wanted to stay with her."

Bucky tilts his head slightly, giving Steve a curious glare.

"Why couldn't you come back?"

"I. . . dammit, Bucky. You really have to ask me that? I don't know what happened. When it didn't bring me back, I realized I was stuck. I tried so hard to come back. Please, you gotta believe me," Steve tries to explain, noticing Bucky's doubtful look.

"How am I supposed to? I saw you Steve! When you were old and skinny and weak and had a ring on your finger! Who the hell did you marry, cause I know it wasn't me?!"

Steve looks so sad with the way he stares at Bucky. So sad and pathetic and-

Oh.

Steve looks heartbroken by his accusations.

"I didn't marry anyone in the past. I never planned on it."

"Then why have the ring?"

"It was for you."

What a mess.

.

.

.

857 word count