Chapter 4: Misty Forest

Each hurried pace was shrouded by fog. The crunching sound of leaves underfoot echoed through the cool and damp atmosphere. The scent of the air carried a unique blend - an earthy decay intermingled with the crisp freshness of fallen leaves.

Continuing to move forward at a running pace, the fog cast an eerie ambiance on the surroundings. Slowly, the dense fog thinned, making visibility possible up ahead.

Everywhere there were trees. Tall deciduous trees rose like giants, their branches reaching for the sky. The leaves, displaying a vibrant mix of red, orange, yellow, and brown, were falling. They twirled and fluttered gracefully before landing on the soft, damp emerald grass.

Running through the trees, a strange hooting sound was heard overhead in the surrounding silence. Glancing above, nothing could be seen due to the limited visibility from the fog.

Up ahead, a glade came into sight among the trees and fog. There within the glade lay a winding stream, glistening under the sunlight, which had filtered through the thick foliage and fog. The stream was tranquil.

Moving through the misty forest, an object among the trees ahead glistened. A delicate, dew-covered spiderweb had caught a glimpse of light, transforming into a glistening strand hanging suspended from a low branch.

While running in a zigzagging movement through the trees to avoid low-hanging branches, a rustling sound was heard nearby, and up ahead, a silhouette of a large four-legged creature came into view. The running pace gradually decreased until it came to a halt. The creature's eyes glowed through the fog, feeling as if it were staring into one's soul.

The strange hooting sound was heard once again. Looking around, there was no sign of the creature making the sound. Glancing back up ahead, the creature had disappeared into the fog. Its silhouette was no longer visible.

Looking downward at the forest ground amid the mist, broken branches lay scattered everywhere like forgotten relics. Some branches lay in fragmented pieces, while others dangled precariously from the trees above.

Among the fallen branches were muddy patches of earth scattered across the dampened ground. Avoiding the muddy patches, each step on the damp ground echoed a recent downpour that had drenched the landscape.

A patch of wild mushrooms sprouted from the ground beside the trunk of a nearby tree. The base of another tree trunk was covered in a green blanket. Upon closer inspection, it was covered in moss, which grew at the bottom of the trunk.

As the surroundings were taken in, a cool breeze picked up, brushing against the cheek. The scene was a marvel.

Moving forward into the forest, a silhouette of a tall rectangular prism-like object came into view. As the fog parted, a colossal structure of obsidian-like metal rose from the ground. Its sleek surface reflected an uncanny darkness. The metallic blackness of the otherworldly artefact seemed to defy earthly materials. It stood in the middle of the forest with the fog in the background.
                                                                                                 ***

"Mia, Mia!" a voice called out.

Mia stared at her mother, confused. Her mother had an expression of terror across her face.

"Mia, say something," her mother asked.

"Mother?" said Mia.

"I need to get you to the doctor," her mother said.

"Why?" inquired Mia.

"You just had a seizure. You were staring straight ahead without blinking," replied her mother.