꒰ °𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐦𝐚, 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐩𝐚, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐭𝐮𝐟𝐟 °꒱

The trip probably took two or three hours, since I think we were pretty far away from the countryside. We also took a few stops to let the horses rest and for us to eat some food.

Buuut we're finally here! The air was really cold– crisp and biting. It was like I was breathing in ice. The heavy snow rested and weighed down the branches of the silent trees. There was even more snow surrounding the house, each step making a soft crunch. It looked like the ground had a thick, white blanket-- only it doesn't keep you warm.
I think I like snow.

"Grandma! Grandpa!!!" My younger brothers and sisters squealed, running to our grandparents.

Grandma went on to embrace my siblings, while Grandpa welcomed them by sneaking them some treats, like yōkan and konpeitō. They somehow always had candy lying around for the times we visited them. My siblings put on the indoor slippers and went around the house, playing and already causing a ruckus. But our grandparents didn't seem to mind.

Grandpa opened his wrinkly eyes wide when he saw me, chuckling. "My, isn't this little Yume?"

"Oh! You've grown so much!" Grandma smiled as she pinched my cheeks.

I grin and bow politely before my hand is filled with the candies that were given to my siblings. I knew it was Grandpa who gave them to me.

I look at the candies in my hands, my eyes beaming. "Wahhh, Thank you, Grandpa!"

My mother and father step out of the carriage, telling the coachman to go and unload their suitcases and bags.

"I can do it!" I butt in, starting to pick up the heavy bag that was previously in the coachman's arms. He kind of was looking exhausted from the travelling.

Grandma watched me bring our belongings in the house in surprise. "What a good child you are--"

"Yume, stop that. It's not ladylike to do men's work," urged my mother, scowling but hiding her face with her fan.

"Oh, Yumiko, let the girl do what she wants," interrupted Grandpa, who had his arms crossed.

"And have her behave like an improper young lady? She should tend to her studies and other household duties instead," Mother retorted.

I paused what I was doing, unsure of whether to continue or not. Did I want to make my parents mad? But... Grandma and Grandpa think that it's alright for me to just carry our things inside the house instead of the coachman. After a few moments of subtly rude remarks and going back and forth, my mother nodded. I've seen her just agree with what ever people were saying once she senses that if she keeps saying otherwise, she'll ruin her 'kind' and 'polite' image.

Rolling her eyes, Mother sighed. "Fine. Go on, Yume."

I nod and proceed to fetch the huge and bulky bags and suitcases, swiftly carrying all of them into the house in an instant. Even if I was a short seven-year-old, I managed to lift all those things. Yay! :)

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Heavy footsteps struck the grass outside rhythmically. Father bowed in front of my grandparents.

"Mother, Father. How are you both doing?" my father dryly asked Grandma and Grandpa.

Grandpa replied, "Quite well, son. The people from the village down the mountain have been hospitable to us folks."

Grandma was flabbergasted in seeing her son looking so hollow and... unenthusiastic.

"My goodness, Dokuji! Have you not been eating well? Why do you look droopier than a wilting daisy in the desert? Don't tell me you aren't feeding your family, too! Have you seen you? Blah, blah, blah..." Grandma nagged, smacking and swatting him in a motherly fashion.

"What!? No! We're just eating healthy--" my father defended.

"You call those tiny portions healthy? Back in my day, we ate like sumo wrestlers! Isn't that right, dear?"

Grandpa simply nodded.

"And what about your family? Are you making them eat birdseed as well?"

"Why, no!--"

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

-End of Chapter 2-

A/n: grah hgrah boom hope you enjoeydhd 🔥🔥(this chapter was a lot longer bc of the dialogue and stuff so mb guys)