•·.·''·.·• 𝐍𝐨 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 •·.·''·.·•

(im running out of background music ideas😭😭 Please check out Aliven't on youtube!!)

The scent of freshly simmered fish and warm udon wafted in the air. I sat on the zabuton beside my siblings, who were already playing with their food, their grubby hands used to throw pieces of rice at each other.

"Stop fooling around and eat your food properly," warned Father as Mother glared at us.

It was surprising that he didn't say "brats" at the end when referring to me and my siblings... Probably because we were in our grandparent's house, and Father didn't want them to hear him saying such words.

I lifted the steaming bowl of udon to my lips, the aroma of savory broth and fresh herbs enveloped me in a comforting embrace. I drink the soup, warmth cascading down my throat, each strand of the chewy noodles carrying a burst of flavor that made me feel cozy. I could feel the richness of the broth charging me with delight. The gentle heat of the udon, coupled with the soothing melody of the broth, transported me to a place of comfort, where each bite were just like wonderful songs. Grandma's cooking is the best!

I sigh, content with the delicious soup. I was about to move on with eating the simmered fish, before looking down and seeing that my little sister, Sumire, eyeing the fish on my plate. I chuckle and pat her head.

"If you'd like more fish, you can get from me," I assure her. "If Kurogane would also want some, share with him, alright?" I refer to my younger brother.

Sumire nods, a big, bright smile on her face as she takes my food and shares it with Kurogane.

"Thank you, Nee-san!" They exclaim in unison.

Grandpa laughs heartily. "You are growing children indeed!"

Taking a sip from her steaming cup of tea, Grandma proceeds to smile as if she just remembered something.

"Ah, speaking of growing children-- There is a family just right up this mountain. We visit them from time to time. The Kamados are kind people with good-natured kids, really. They take after their mother and father," she shared.

Grandpa recounts, "Right! We'd give them some food we cooked occasionally. In fact, I just bought some fresh fruits a while ago. How about you kids go with your grandmother and give them the fruits?"

The three of us immediately burst with excitement at Grandpa's suggestion, our eyes sparkling. We get to go up the mountain!!!?

"You really don't have to bring the children up the mountain with you, Mom," Father interrupted. "They can be a tiring bunch."

Grandma waves her hand dismissively. "Nonsense! Kids, put on your scarves. The snow is calm right now, so we won't have much trouble walking up there," she says while already standing up.

Instantly, we get up, wrap the cozy scarves around our necks, put on our boots and go outside. Grandma places the fruits in a basket, a pretty ribbon tied to the handle. I breathe in the cold air once again, the little snowflakes gently falling to the ground. It was all so beautiful.

And so we started walking up the mountain. It was incredibly steep, combined with the slippery snow, but Grandma didn't seem to have a problem with it. For such an old person, she moved surprisingly fast. She usually told us stories of when she fought all sorts of creatures alongside Grandpa, and that she was the fastest amongst all her companions. 

I suddenly feel someone grip my hand tightly. I look down, seeing that it was my younger brother, Kurogane. He looked a little scared.

"What's wrong?" I asked tenderly, grinning.

Kurogane's lips trembled, his eyes fluttering anxiously. "I read about non-hibernating bears... what if one suddenly pops up and eats us all!?"

Grandma hears this and chuckles, "Don't be silly, little one."

I stop walking, and soon Grandma and Sumeri stopped as well. I kneel down to Kurogane's level, a gentle smile on my face. I take his and Sumeri's hands, squeezing them a little.

"If a bear comes out and tries to attack us, I'll make sure to shield you guys. I'll even fight it off for you. You know how I would cover you guys and read you stories during a storm, right?" I ask them.

They both nod, staring at me intently.

"I'll always do that for you. I'll stand by your side with every challenge we face. The world can be a scary place sometimes, but you have me, your big sister! I'll lift you up when you fall, and be there for you in times you are afraid. No matter what, your sister will always protect you, okay?"

I beam, showing them a reassuring smile. Their faces light up with bright grins, exchanging glances filled with gratitude and love. "Thank you, big sister!"

Sumeri grabs my hand, a silent expression of trust. Kurogane seems more comforted now. In the corner of my eye, I could see Grandma nod and smile approvingly. I stand up and pat their shoulders, taking their hands and continued on with walking up the hill.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

yahoo!! tried to be emotional with this one, it probably didnt work LMAO hope yall still enjoyed