INTRODUCTION

"Why should I hire you?" Faye inquired, casually shifting in her seat.

"Well, because you're hiring, right?" I flashed a smile, though I knew it wasn't the most compelling answer. Judging by her expression, she seemed utterly bored with life.

"Do you think I'm joking?" she pressed, rising to stand beside me. I hadn't realized just how tall she was. I felt like a dwarf in comparison.

"Oh..." I faltered, scrambling for the right words. How do I say that I don't actually want to work here? I aspire to be something else, but the salary she's offering is too good to pass up, right?

"Answer me. Why do you believe you're the top candidate?" she demanded, her tone now stern, almost menacing, yet there was a hint of desperation for a satisfactory response.

"Because I can bring serenity to your team," I offered, with an awkward smile.

Faye arched her brow, shooting me a menacing glare. Arms crossed, she awaited my explanation.

"Um..." I glanced at the ceiling, feeling utterly clueless. What do I even know about this? It's my first job interview, and it's already this intense? "Maybe you should consider hiring someone else. That question is a bit tough," I suggested, attempting to make my exit, but Faye caught my arm, forcing me to face her.

Our eyes locked. She blinked several times before releasing me with a heavy sigh.

"You're hired," she declared, retaking her seat. "Start at 8 am tomorrow. Don't be late."

My eyes widened in disbelief. What just happened?